TGIF.
IT'S HERE.....my new header courtesy of Rick Green at Organized Doodles.
I think he captured the essence of life here at the lake extremely well didn't he?
Me drinking wine, the dog looking over the side of the boat and my hubby's love of fishing.
Thankfully our boat is bigger and most importantly he made me smaller...tee hee.
Except for making me a bit anorexic this is spot on. But I sure do appreciate Mr. Green making my upper arms that skinny. Hey he knows what he's doing!!
I love what he did. Even the name of the boat. Yes folks that was to be the name but I wouldn't let my husband do it. He thought it was a fun name and would get a lot of people asking questions. I thought it was funny but would appear tacky so I wouldn't let him do it. But I love that it is on here.
My husband loves to fish and for the love of all things I do not understand it. But it is his Zen. I enjoy being on the water so I do tag along a lot and I do exactly what I'm doing in the header photo along with a book or a magazine. One day Rick asked if I wanted to go to a boat show to look around and get an idea of costs and what was out there. Boat shows are always in winter so I figured it was better than shoveling let's go.
We got to the Washington Boat Show and it was packed with everything from kayaks to floating homes. We looked at a lot of fishing boats but they were just for fishing. I just couldn't see me having any fun in any of these boats that Rick liked. He agreed that it would be great if we could both be happy. We decided to stop and grab a soft pretzel and a beverage. As we stood in line I said to Rick, "you know you can tell that men design these boats. If woman did they would make something for you and something for me. The man standing behind us heard me and tapped my shoulder. I turned around and he said, "I couldn't help but over hear you and I have just that boat." We both laughed and thought, sure you do. He asked us to stop by his booth area and come take a look and he gave us his card.
We ate our pretzels and wandered over to his booth. He lept to his feet when he saw us and said, "you have got to see this boat." It looked like any speed boat you would see on a lake with skate boarders behind or water skier behind having a ball. It sat a lot of folks and had all kinds of things one would need. But then you take out this seat and put in this extenstion pole and do this and that and viola it was now a fishing boat with seats sitting up high and a trolling motor and a live well. I looked at Rick and said, "It's like a kids transformer toy." EXACTLY, Rick says with such glee and enthusiasm. I knew that look in his eye.
We talked colors, options, price and delivery. We got their card and decided to discuss over the rest of the weekend. And when I say discuss I mean to tell you that is all Rick talked about! Finally he said that he just didn't think we should do this right now, we just moved here and got a new house. We should wait another year. We need so many things right now. I agreed knowing full well I didn't really and had something up my sleeve.
I was getting a bonus check. I knew this was a big one. I also knew that it should go into our savings but Rick wanted a boat so badly. He has wanted a nice boat his whole life. There was a time when the president of the company he worked for embezzled all the funds and he lost his job and we were beyond broke. He sold his canoe and a lot of his favorite things during that difficult time. I felt he deserved this and I so wanted him to have it.
I called and got this boat ordered for him with my bonus check. Then when I knew the delivery date I told him. Besides we needed to put a hauling piece on our vehicle to pick it up so I had to tell him in advance.
You would have thought he won the lottery. He kept asking, "What about the dining room furniture you wanted?" I told him the dining room has been empty this long what the hell's the difference. We have other rooms to eat in and besides we know no one here so who's going to sit at that dining room for awhile? He bought it. He was like a 5 yr old at Christmas. I loved it!
So that is why he wanted to name the boat, "Wife's Bonus Check" I thought that was funny but also tacky so that is why I begged him not to do it. He kept telling me how much conversation from other fishermen that would stir. He thought it would be fun. But I still asked him not to do it. Besides that may have been my bonus check from my job but it still went into OUR pot of money. It is always our money whether he makes it or I do. So it just didn't sit well with me even though I thought it was funny. Does that make sense?
Now that is why I love seeing it on the boat that Rick Green made for me. It's a joke my Rick & I share. When people ask why our boat doesn't have a name hubby always tells them the story of how he got this boat but his wife won't let him use the name he wanted and nothing else fits.
See, he still gets his fishing buddy story either way.
Happy Weekend everyone.
Let me know what you think of my new header and stop by Organized Doodles for your own!
6 comments:
Love the new illustration for your header(wish I had a polka dot bathing suit like "you" are wearing), and the story about yer boat.
Enjoy your weekend, Peg! :-)
I love love love your new header...now I'm jealieoso for all day! Blog looks great.
Mary
OMG (I swear I have never said that before) but, that is just what popped into my head when I saw the new look of your blog. To much time spent with a 15 year old today. I loved your old header and couldn't imagine why you wanted a new one. Now, I see! This captures the essence of your blog exactly. I love it, it suits you!
Peggy! I have to say that the doodle does look good here. It fits well. I was a bit afraid what blogger would do to it—squish it or something. But the proportions look right. Thanks for the links and the kind words. I LOVE a happy customer.
About the story - I love it. I think you ought to put the name on the boat. It's not tacky and it's a fun story. (What love) Maybe at least just "Bonus Check."
I'll be posting the artwork on my blog soon. I'm at a meeting today in another town so I have distractions. The original artwork was mailed yesterday so it should get there maybe the middle of next week. Again, drop me a note when it arrives.
Thanks again for everything.
The Other Rick
Love the header!
Really different look! I especially love the bottle of wine attached to the boat. I'm guessing its Rosé because we snobs know that red is supposed to be at room temperature LOL. Great post and banner!
Post a Comment