I was reading this article the other day about food.
Not only do I love to eat food I enjoy reading about food.
I love to watch the food network too.
But I am picky. I don’t like seafood at all. I don’t like birds.
I don’t like mushrooms to chew but I love their flavor.
I don’t like to eat things prettier than me like Bambi and Thumper.
Just a little rule I have.
I could never be on a reality show where you have to eat disgusting things and critters.
And most of all I do not like to eat my food while in its former life form.
I love pig – but I can not eat pig while it’s staring at me even if it does have an apple in its mouth.
Here was something from this article.
Top 10 Mispronounced Foodie Words
1. Bruschetta (broo-SKEH-tah)
2. Gnocchi (NYOH-kee)
3. Gyro (YEER-oh)
4. Huitlacoche (wheet-lah-KOH-chay)
5. Pouilly-Fuisse (poo-yee fwee-SAY)
6. Mole (MOH-lay)
7. Paczki (POONCH-key)
8. Pho (fuh)
9. Prosciutto (proh-SHOO-toe)
10. Sake (SAH-kay)
I found this interesting because I have never heard of or had numbers 4, 5, or 6.
I realized I have been saying number 10 incorrectly for my whole adult life. (SAH-Key was my way) I don’t like number 8 a bunch. I love 1, 2, 3, and 9 a lot!!
I am a picky eater. So how does one get chubby if they don’t like to eat a lot of different foods? Easy, eat a lot of the foods you do like. Don’t forget I am the gal who would leave my husband for Ben or Jerry.
So where do you fall in this? Can you pronounce them all? Do you like them all?
I googled number 4 and it was revolting to me when I read, “ its other English name is corn smut (oh yum that makes it sound better) . Most American corn farmers do their best to keep it from showing up in their crops. Huitlacoche is the black, squishy, and disgusting-looking tumescent manifestation of a plant fungus on corn kernels. Not coincidentally, perhaps, the most common restaurant preparations involve hiding the huitlacoche from view... in tamales, quesadillas, soups.”
So when I say I have never had number 4 what I mean is that I did not knowingly eat number 4. If one must hide it I pray I didn’t eat it. Sounds yummy though doesn't it?
Number 5 is a white wine I believe. Since I do not drink white wine I have never tried this. But number 5 unlike number 4 I would be more than willing to try. It’s a dry wine so I would give it a go. Hell I would even drink wine from a box. Not preferred but it’s wine. I mean to tell you I grew up drinking what my Dad made in the basement and he called it his Dago Red. I just love wine so I would be game to try this one anytime.
Number 6 is something I have seen in a grocery store in a clear bottle that didn’t look appealing. I believe it is a Mexican sauce and I have never had it that I am aware of. The name is not appealing but that may be due to the translation.
Number 7 is something I had at a friends home when I was a kid. It was kind of a Polish doughnut. I remember it being good. And if you think I'm picky now I was very bad as a child.
Number 8 is a soup. Not awful but certainly not something I would want to have again. I had it once. It’s not like I will crave it or think, ooh let’s go have some Vietnamese food tonight. Just not really my cup of tea. Thai food is more my style as well as Chinese over Vietnamese food.
The last few nights while walking the dog we have been smelling grilled meats. Monday night Rick swore he smelled ribs on the grill. Tuesday night was hamburgers wafting through the air. My husband claims they were made with Worcestershire. How he can tell that by walking past a house where the outdoor grill is smoking I’ll never know. He and the dog both were sniffing like fools. Last night we smelled steak. We were so full from our own dinner but it did smell great. So I’m thinking steak with sautéed creamy garlic spinach is on the menu this weekend. Whatever it will be I know it will be must be grilled. Let the neighbors drool while they walk their dog for a change. You can tell everyone is chomping at the bit to be outdoors. (God let spring arrive soon)
So tell me what do you like? Will you be eating Pho this weekend? How about some plant fungus on corn? Mmmmm……yum.
15 comments:
I hadn't hear of numbers 3-8 but it's interesting to hear their translations. I love getting wafts of other peoples dinners while out walking too :) enjoy your steak and making your neighbours jealous :)
Jen - ooh you must have a number 3. It's Greek. Think of a Greek wrap. Oh my they are great! There is a Greek festival I go to every year just to eat one of those. Hey - thanks for reading!!
ive only had 1,2,3,9, and 10. and i pronounce them all wrong and will probably continue to.
i consider myself pretty adventurous about eating, but im super fussy about meats/poultery/seafood. i'll eat red meat but its not my favorite thing on the menu and it has to be cooked well done. like, almost burned. and there best not be any bones on it because i dont want to be reminded that it was once a living thing. i dont eat anything cute and i dont eat anything ive seen alive, including lobster in a tank at a restaurant. i love sushi, but really only the non raw, less fishy kind. honestly, if i had to live the rest of my life as a vegetarian, id be totally fine. but the husband and the boy love the meats. so we compromise.
Did you ever have perogies? Yummmm! a delicious ukrainian/russian dumplimg pronounced perehe!
A2Z - sure have. I always thought they were Polish. We used to frequent a bar that specialized in them. The most popular being filled with potatoes and maybe cheese. But they had ones filled with saurekraut (sp?)etc. I love love love them. But once again because I can't have gluten I don't get to eat them anymore. My husband loves them boiled then fried with a side of sour cream. Man, this is making me hungry.
Oh jeez..where to begin??
I had never heard of # 4 and # 7 before. I have *heard* of pho, but was pronouncing it wrong, and now, after reading what you wrote, will probably not ever try it.
The others, I have eaten and pretty much pronounced(or at least in my head) correctly.
I am only fussy about cheeses(if it smells or has a certain texture..or if there is too much..I can't eat it),
eggs(will only eat if cooked dry and scrambled),
caraway seeds, licorice, fennel and pickled herring(ugh!)!
I prefer not to eat red meat or pork(but break down from time to time and crave bacon), and LOVE seafood and nuts and Key Lime Pie. I love to eat, too.
I think I could possibly eat bugs, but nothing too squishy like worms. Although I eat clams and raw oysters, so I guess it could be done. Is this info making you queasy? ;-)
Also...with it being so warm this weekend, I am still waiting to get a waft of grilled food around the neighborhood.
Maybe it'll be us tonight(husband is out now getting more propane for the grill)
Gal Friday - you had me laughing again. It is funny how everyone has their thing. I loved your comment on bacon. I have two friends who are vegetarian unless it's bacon and that never fails to make me laugh. What isn't good with bacon.
BTW Gal - we fired up the grill last night after a good "spring" cleaning. (I use the term spring lightly here) Hubby came in to get the marinated meat and when he went back out to the grill it was off - ran out of propane. So tonight is the night now. Sheesh
i've never had 4,5, or 7. and some of the things on there i've been pronouncing incorrectly. oh well. i blame the fact that i grew up in east texas and my grandma was always cooking things like chicken gizzards and squirrel brains (i'm not joking). it's a whole different world.
also, you should try mole. i've only had it once, but i liked it. you're right, it is a mexican sauce...a hispanic friend of mine from a previous job made me some because i had never had it.
RH - okay now I would have to draw the line at road kill. That would have to be another one of my rules.
I see that jar in the grocery store and I was promouncing it like the animal, MOLE. Or that thing you have removed from your body. Either way that is what made me think I wouldn't give it a try. But now that I know it's not MOLE but moh-lay - not so gross.
Yea I'm childish with my food. I was always embarressed by my family and their ethnic Italian food but I think you've got me beat!
trust me, i've never eaten a gizzard or brain in my life. i refuse. my grandma SWEARS they are delicious, but i just can't do it.
and i know what you mean, i thought mole was pronounced like the animal too...which is why i had never tried it before.
I'm so picky about food I wouldn't eat any of those #'s. Also, I haven't eaten pork since I saw a pig eating a dirty diaper on the road when I was in the Caribbean. Thank you so much for your reassuring comment on my blog, for all the info I got on yours today, and for the laughs you always provide.
I just had Pho for the first time this weekend and it was delish!
J.E.Momma - Jess good to hear from you since your blog is down!! Where the hell you been woman?
Okay so you Pho was delish - mine was bland boring and tastless. Maybe it was the restaurant. (sp?)
Post a Comment