Friday, March 19, 2010

YEAH - IT'S FRIDAY!

My Goodness this has been a long week for me.

We  are cleaning out a large walk in closet in a spare bedroom.  Now everything is out in the bedroom and it looks like the show hoarders in there. My hubby is a bit of a hoarder and every now and then I must reign him in.  He has 1970's stereo speakers in this closet. We keep moving from state to state with these things and I have had it.  We need the room.  I mean seriously these suckers are the size of  a small car.  He says, "maybe I'll put them on Craig's List and sell them."  I laughed so hard at that one.  Who the hell is going to buy these?  Maybe the televison production company of that 70's show when it was on TV but he lost that window of opportunity now that it is off the air.
He has a computer monitor in there that was from the early 90's that is big and bulky and really who wants that?  He says, "But it works." 
"Yes dear but no one wants to go back in time while working.  Please let it go."
It truly pains him to throw things away so I have to do this slowly. 
I have been working on getting him upstairs to this room to help me out. 
Finally I said if you don't participate I will be throwing everything away. 
That put the fear and a fire under his hoarding ass.
But when I say we are doing this slowly I mean slowly going through things. 

We are sitting on the floor in this closet last night and came across a box of photo's. 
That really slowed us down. And I was just as bad as him when the pictures showed up.
We would make fun of one anothers hair styles and clothes.  We would reminise. 
It was fun and a lot of laughs.

Check this 1987 photo out....that Flock of Seagulls mullet thing I have happenin' and Rick and his porn 'stache. What the hell were we thinking? At least he looks 80's handsome in a porn star Miami vice way. I look ridiculous!  We had some good laughs and he dared me to post it.




So I figured why not post it.  Everyone needs to feel good about themselves and me showing you this picture ought to make you all feel very good about yourself!  I may even do more  so everyone can laugh.  Laughter is good medicine.  Wait to you see some of these 1970's peace shirts and my striped bellbottom jeans.  Oh my.

5 comments:

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

Old pictures are the best. When I think I look really bad in a picture, I just say to myself, "wait 'till the next picture and you'll think you looked good in the last one." Time keeps marching on. By the way, you two look adorable in that pic. Now, regarding cleaning out the closet. My mother-in-law gave me the best advice ever. She told me that when your husband's closet has old clothes, etc., he never wears, uses anymore, just take them and give them away. Do not, I repeat what she said, DO NOT put them in a box to take out or in the trash. Take them straight to the thrift so he will not be able to stop you or change your mind. Also, if you take them out a little at a time he will never even notice. I've done it now for 30 years! Once in a while he says, "Hon, what happened to that florescent orange, Grateful Dead shirt I had?" I shrug my shoulders and say, "gosh hon, I have no idea. Maybe you should just look harder," {grin}.

Anonymous said...

that mustache is out of this world. im speechless.

as for the mullet. bad. but i cant really judge because i had one around that time too. my dad would never let me cut my hair so it was way down my back, like almost to my butt. but my mom would cut my bangs. only she totally sucked at it and my "bangs" covered the entire top of my head. so i had an awful awful mullet. honestly, its making me gag a little just thinking about it.

no wonder i never had any friends.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

cottage by the sea - good advice about getting things to the thrift shop. I should have called them for a pick up while he was at work instead of talking him through this. but I must admit we sure have had some laughs looking at yearebooks,photo albums and wedding pics. I should clean more often. :-)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Tammie - yea that mustache is a hoot isn't it? He called it his Tom Selleck phase. I told him if that made him feel better then he can call it whatever he liked.

Yea the mullet is bad but honestly if was a mullet how could it be good. what were we thinking? Oh the 80's. What you can't really see in the photo is the sides. They were shaved. I literally have no hair there. Very punk, very ugly, very 80's. And to think women came up to me and asked where I got my hair cut. so i was thining I was rockin' the hair. oh brother! And I was a professional to boot. I wore that hair with a business suit and sat at conference tables with clients. How did they take me seriously??

Anonymous said...

ha ha ha ha!!! the eighties were just the worst!

and whenever im in the mall and i see eighties styles coming back i always think "NOOOOOOO!"