Friday, March 12, 2010

TGIFriday Random Thoughts

There comes a time to retire. Will I know it when it gets here?

I watched something someone sent me with Barbara Walters. I admire what the woman has accomplished in a time when it was so much more difficult for women. She made it easy for the Katie Couric’s and Diane Sawyer’s to be nightly anchors. Her experience as an anchor was horrible from the man she worked with and no one was there to defend her. But she now appears so out of touch and I think it’s time to pass the torch. I imagine everyone close to her knows but who would say that to the Queen?

I can no longer watch Larry King because he has been so off his rocker game for so long it’s painful to sit and watch. He doesn’t listen, he asks insipid questions, and he knows nothing about most of the people he interviews which is apparent from his questions.
I saw him interviewing someone and it was so obvious he knew nothing about the book the guest was hawking; nothing about this guest’s life and that I knew more. He asked a question and the person had just discussed this 3 minutes before! After the guest was asked again he tilted his head and gave such a puzzled look at Larry as though to say, “hello we were just talking about that!” But he was polite and answered it yet again. 
Larry is severely out of touch when has on guests that he doesn't know what they do or why they are  a cult figure.  Obviously never doing a prework before the show or else his memory is shot.  The last time I watched Larry King I ended up screaming at my TV, which makes me look off my rocker as well.

My father is retired....sort of.
He worked his whole life. He was a proud blue collar man. He was a master plumber who had his own business and did commercial and industrial plumbing.
(malls, businesses, nuclear power plants etc)
He never had hobbies. It was work or his family.
All of his good friends have passed away. He used to golf but it was never an obsession for him. Then after he hurt his shoulder golfing was even out of the question for him.
So when it came time to retire he went crazy. His wife went crazier.
He would suggest to his wife to, “hey lets have a drink” and it would only be 11am.
He wanted to lunch and have a few cocktails most of the day.
His wife thought he’d become a fat drunk so she strongly suggested he get some sort of part time job or she would kill him.
He became a greeter at Wal-Mart. He loves giving the kids stickers and he really seems to enjoy it. But now I think its more habit than enjoyment. He was so sick recently and he insisted he had to go to work. WHY? He is 82. He stands in front of a door that is open more than closed and it is only 12 degrees outside. He can’t understand that maybe it’s time to just sit back and read and enjoy what is left of your life. He can’t though. Sometimes I wonder if maybe Dad thinks that if he stops working, he’ll stop period.

I always think I can do nothing all day until I actually get a day of no obligations. I can’t do it.
I was reading Mary this morning talk about her retirement and I have a feeling I’d be a bit like that myself. Oh you will never find me at Wal-mart but I know I’ll have to do something. I just hope I will be able to retire, that is looking slim these days.

You know how when you wash your car it never fails to immediately rain?
It seems to be the same for my floors now that I have a dog. Poor Izzy is 1 yr old now will I ever get used to all these changes?  I washed the floors after work last night before the dog came back from doggy day care for the day. They looked fabulous until this morning. Her wet paws on dark wood floors leave beautiful marks all over a once clean floor. By the end of today it will look as though I never did them. Rain, mud and other fun stuff everywhere.

I know when I had a cleaning person I really appreciated her. I would tell her and Rick this all the time. I loved coming home from a few days on the road to a clean home. I didn’t have to spend the short time home doing housework. I could spend it doing laundry and time with hubby. I knew I was lucky to be able to afford this luxury and I thanked her ALL the time and thanked my lucky stars. Now that I no longer have that job and that money I have to clean my own home. I also know that sounds like privileged whining I get that so please don’t fire off a nasty gram to me. But I miss her.

I have come to realize I didn’t pay her enough. Oh I wouldn’t have told her that but God how I miss her. Really really miss her. How did she get my granite so shiny and not smudgy looking? I can’t seem to. How did she make that stove top shine like that? We have tried but it’s not the same. Once when I asked her about the countertop she laughed and said it was a secret. Smart woman. My tip to everyone is don’t get dark granite if you are anal retentive like me. I can see every finger print etc on the very dark color and I am always walking by and wiping it. It’s my quirk I know. Drives me crazy.

Hubby misses her too because he does toilets and tubs. He’s very good at them too.
We figured out long ago that since he loves a sparkling bathroom that is his job to make sparkle. Until she came into our lives that was how the chores were split.
And he likes it…well to a point, he too misses Olga. And he usually will yell that out loud to no one in particular while he is on his knees scrubbing the toilet. It always makes me laugh.

The easy stuff he sucks at. He won’t move anything to dust but dust around it.
Again that drives me nuts. You can see the dust UNDER the television and when I point that out to him he says, “no one can see that.”  
"Hello I just did and YES they can".
He says I’m too anal about it so after all these years we each have our own chores and that works out well for us. What he likes to do and does well I would so prefer not to do. So I guess I’ve got it made that at least he shares in the household chores as he should.
I know a lot of men don’t.

One thing he doesn’t do anymore is laundry and for 2 very good reasons.
When we first moved in together he did laundry. One day he went into the bedroom and picked up a sweater laying on the floor. I threw it on the chair but it fell off the arm. So he assumed it needed to be washed. (more like aired out due to being in a bar and it was smokey)  He washed and dried it. He came into the bedroom and held it up and began to apologize profusely. This lovely shade of kelly green lambs wool sweater that I had only worn twice was now the size of a Barbie Doll sweater. I have a sister who was a size 0 and it was too small for her.  My boobs alone are a large sweater!   He saw the look on my face and again began apologizing. I asked why he would wash and DRY a wool sweater.

"I do mine all the time and they are fine." he says

"Do you ever read labels?"

He looked down and said, "No not usually. I’ll buy you a new one really I will."

The 2nd reason I do all the laundry is the major reason.
When we lived in the house with the spooky basement that is where our washer and dryer was.  This basement freaked me out. I hated being down there and I always felt someone was there with me and yet the basement was empty.
It was a very very old house and  this basement just gave me the heebie jeebies.
One day I told him that if he were to do all the laundry while we lived there I would do the laundry for the rest of his life! We shook on it.

Now when he wants to throw a load in and I catch him I run and say, "Nope I made a deal" and I do it immediately. Once when I was sick I heard the washer going after I woke from a nap. I asked him why he was doing the laundry and he told me that he was very capable of doing laundry he wasn’t incapacitated. “I know that but I promised.” I whined.
He laughed and did it anyways. I was too sick to fight him. But other than a couple of times I kept my promise.

You can tell that was one helluva scary basement!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

jay and i were just discussing barbara walters the other day. she was interviewing sandra bullock before the oscars and sandra asked babs if she could have anything in life right now what would it be? and barbara said "more time." it kinda irritated me because on the one hand i get that when you're older, you definitely want to make the most of the time you have left, and BW is in her eighties now, so realistically she only has a decade or so left. but i also think "who is she to complain?" i mean, if she feels like the clock is ticking, maybe she should quit working and spend time with her family and friends and other loved ones. its not like shes on a fixed income and NEEDS to work.
sometimes i think that incredibly powerful people who have gotten used to being in the public eye, dont have much going on other than that. their self esteems are tied up into in a way that makes quitting something scary.

oh, and my husband ruined one of my dry clean only dresses when i first moved in with him 14 years ago. i havent let him touch the laundry since.

Anonymous said...

That basement, you're right very scary!
:-)
Mary

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Glad to know Tammie I am not the only one who feels this way about Ms. Walters.

Hey how is the 10,000 steps coming?

Anonymous said...

the highest ive been able to get to is about 9000, and thats with jay and i taking an evening walk. its definitely harder than i thought it would be.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I saw someone say to you Tammie that it was easy to achieve and I thought that I must just be the slacker. Before I had a dog I thought it was so much harder than I would have imagined. Now with a dog no issue. I walk 3-5 mi. a day except Sunday and if I have a doggy day care day. Sunday is all Rick's day. :-) And these shoes still kick my butt.

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

I had a scary basement (cobwebs, dark corners, the WHOLE nine yard!) in an apartment building where I once lived. We only needed to go down there to trip the electric switch when the power would go out. Problem was, the wiring was OLD and so the power was ALWAYS going out! GEEZ, I hated descending those steps!!

Gal Friday said...

The entire time I was reading this I was thinking of how I need to get OFF the computer and get all that house cleaning I said I was going to do today...done!
And damn! Do I wish I had a cleaning person come in once a week--that would be heaven(and a cook, too) If I worked a full-time job and could afford it, I would hire a cleaner--definitely!
BTW, my husband LIKES to do the laundry in this house (and he folds the clothes right away, unlike me who lets them sit in the basket for a week). Hmmm...maybe he doesn't like to do the laundry so much, but prefers the clothes not to be wrinkled if left up to me.

My father is 72 and still working--he is also the type that I don't think can ever retire.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Gal Friday - your comment made me laugh about the wrinkled clothes. Hmmm...that could be why your husband fold them right away. I, on the other hand am like you!

I work full time and can't afford a cleaning person anymore and I wish I had never had her because now it's worse. She only came every 2 weeks but boy it makes a difference. oh well. I at least was very spoiled for awhile.

Right now I would like to have 1950's wife. To cook, clean, pick up things at the store and dry cleaning, iron etc - you know a good old fashioned wife like June Cleaver. Told my husband that one day and he said he wanted one too. :-)