Wednesday, March 10, 2010

An Unpopular Entry

Yesterday as I was taking my lunch break of a whole 20 minutes the phone rang.
I work from home and I don't normally answer the home phone. If my office was located somewhere in a tall building downtown I couldn't answer my home phone during the day. 
I'm still working just upstairs in an office at my own home.
(My office phone is a different line) 
But since I was downstairs in the kitchen I grabbed the phone.

Here is what transpired -
Hello is this Margaret (insert last name) ?

Yes this is she.

I am calling to thank you for all your help in the Right to Life Campaign.

I think you have the wrong number sir.

No, I show you have been a supporter.

Sir, is this a joke or a new sales ploy by using lying as a new tactic?
I am and have NEVER been a help or a part of The Right to Life Campaign

I show that you have and we would like to thank you....

Sir, please take me off your calling list!

Why would you want to do that Margaret?

Sir,iIs this the organization that condemns Pro Choice and that Condones the Killing of anyone who disagrees with them?  Is this the organization that condones and approves of capital punishment and the killing of human life as long as it is outside the womb?  Is this the organization that believes those that disagree can be killed for any of your justifications?  Do I have this correct? 

Ah, err, okay well, no, some of what you say yes, but....

I said I think you have the wrong number sir, please take me off your calling list because I don't agree with your methods. I understand your point to a degree but seriously don't like your methods which are so similiar to terrorists it makes me ill.  And now here you are  lying to me about my involvement.  Not good.  I think it states somewhere I know you are familiar with that Thou Shall Not Lie.  Or is that just sometimes?

I was livid and I know that sounds rude but he was lying to me and I was angry.  I am sure he wishes I had not answered the phone during normal business hours yesterday.

Look I know this will have me losing followers. 
I know that this may piss some off. 
I just get so fired up when people tell me how to live my life. 
I am a good, honest, kind, open minded person until you tell me I am a bad person for my beliefs.  Then I get mad.

I am not a person who would make that choice but for the love of life I would NEVER kill anyone who didn't agree with me.  I would never think less of them because I do not walk in their shoes.  It is their choice. If that were the case I would have killed W, Cheney and their whole lot of liars and war criminals.  I just think everyone should leave everyone else the hell alone.
No one is more righteous or deserving of anything.  We were founded on the freedom to think the way we want to think, to pray or not pray to the God of our choice, to believe or not believe in him/her, and to be able to give our opinon without retributions. 
Did everyone forget history?

If you don't believe in something then DON'T DO IT!  I don't believe in guns, I have NO GUNS.  Gee that was simple.  I don't believe in the religion I was brought up in  - I don't go to that church.  How hard was that?  

I do believe that if you believe in something so strongly then you and your loved ones discuss it and do what YOU BELIEVE TO BE BEST FOR YOU.  I believe in womens equality and rights.  I stress this to my nieces and nephews.  Would I be disappointment if one of them becomes a Stepford wife or Chauvinist, sure but I did the best I could. I won't kill them or ridicule them or call them and harrass them or bring it up every damn time I see them.  They know how I feel and I love them and let them live their life.

This is a non issue and I wish to everything I hold dear to me that people would stop trying to shove their crap down my throat.  You don't want it - don't have one. You want your children to not have one - teach them!!! 

My husband is an adopted child.  He is so thankful that he was adopted because he met his birth mother and it was not an Oprah moment. The idea of her not making that choice is not lost on him. But he is thankful that her CHOICE was adoption.  He still believes in free choice because that is what America is supposed to be.  What it was and now it's not.  No one should be made to feel shame or worthless.  You don't know their story.  I don't know a single woman who has done this as a form of birth control or with a  nonchalance attitude. 

I know of women who have had to make a horrible choice.  One such woman was on birth control and she was also taking a very serious acne medication and was warned that she had to be very careful.  If becoming pregnant this would not be a baby in human form.  She showed me the photo's the doctor gave her.  When she and her husband found out that even taking birth control pills faithfully she was pregnant she was torn. This ate at her 24/7 for a long time.  This ripped them to shreds and back. This was not a decision that came lightly. She always cried, why?After the decision they were met with protestors screaming obsencties at them, throwing things at them and tugging at them. She was so fragile and they do this to her?  I am thankful this woman didn't have to go to a back alley or die to have this done.  But thankfully she had a choice.  You may have wanted to carry this and then let the thing die.  And I don't say "thing" lightly. But I saw these photo's.  It was horrific.  This was a decision she looked at from every angle trust me.  (she has 2 children, one born after being off the medication)

So don't tell me it's okay to treat her poorly because of her choice.  Don't tell me that it's okay to kill the doctor who helped her and her husband.  Don't tell me your way is the only right way.  That is only opinioin. And don't quote me scripture because that too is in interpretation.  Don't hide behind your religion.  You were born with the ability to know right from wrong. Use it. If this is wrong for you don't do it.  But please don't kill someone.

And stop calling my house and stop making this a damn political issue.
It's a personal one.  I am sick to death of people telling me what I can and can't do.
I was given free will.  I am smart and I am kind.  My choice is my mine.  If we disagree that is fine.  I will not lecture you or choose to not follow you or kill you.  I expect the same respect. I will not call you to jam my beliefs down your throat.  But this is my blog and I can say what I feel the need to say and ya'll can disagree it's okay.  It's called America.  Be thankful you have that choice.

Whew I feel better.....

17 comments:

R.H. Ducky said...

do you really think you'll lose readers over this post? maybe you should tell them all you're sorry and give them a big hug (side hug of course) ;)

i say good for you. you shouldn't have to worry about expressing your feelings on a subject on YOUR blog. i think it's commendable that you have your own thoughts and opinions and are brave enough to stand up for them. hell, i'd follow you twice right now if i could.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ah, RH I love you so much I would hug you full on!!!!!!!
:-)

yea there are those that will unfollow but so be it. I will not hide and I will not be someone I'm not. I was fired up and I vent here on MY blog.

Thanks for reading!

Anonymous said...

im so glad you decided to post this. rock on peggy!

im sure that man regrets calling you!

ive never been in the position where ive had to consider an abortion, but my husband and i do know that we dont want anymore kids. if i ever got pregnant again, i know that whatever choice we decided to make would only be made after A LOT of thought.

(i wont even go into how hard it is for women to actually get decent, affordable birth control. most insurance companies don't even cover the majority of the cost of the pill. im on the pill right now for some health issues and fortunately i was able to get the generic one which is only $9 a month. the last time i was on the pill, about 7 years ago, the cost was $28 a month and my health insurance only paid $3 of it!!!!! )

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

isn't that crazy about insurance. They will pay for a tubal ligation and a vasectomy but not birth control in a pill form. Go figure. But that's a whole 'nother blog now isn't it? Health care! Sheesh!

Jen said...

Wonderful post Peggy. I've gotta say though, if you lose followers over this post then perhaps they aren't the kind of people you want following you anyway? Your post was well argued and not rude towards any one faction. Well done for standing up to your caller and for what you believe in :)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Thanks Jen!

p.s. I was on your blog earlier today and my goodness your kids are adorable!!

Anonymous said...

I don't think you'll lose readers because of this post. I liked it. You are such a good writer.
Mary

Anonymous said...

Hi, again. I loved the question about my grandmother's age. After you posted I added it up and my grandmother was 63, only 4 years older than I am now. Wow, you were right.
Mary

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Thanks Mary.
I hope you are correct - and thanks for stopping by. I hope you get to read some on the more lighter side. :-)

Clare said...

I loved this post and it is your blog to do and say whatever you want. For myself, it just put you up on my 'should check their blog more often' list.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Thank you Clare!

I must admit I have had less negative than I thought.

And ny the way since I read your post this morning all I can think about are strawberries!

Athena said...

Your post had me glued to my monitor! BRAVO!! I couldn't agree with you more, in every single thing you said! Are you hanging out in my head??! LOL!

If you lose readers then its their loss. It was a brilliant post and I want to hug you for writing it!! (((HUGS)))!!!!

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

I believe I have a whole different concept than you do regarding right to life however, I will still follow your blog because I think you're a great writer, I enjoy you very much, and in real life although we may have different opinions on things, I think we would be good friends. I don't choose my friends only according to their beliefs being the same as mine. So my friend, I will keep reading your blog, listening to your opinions with love and well, so there to that!
Blessings

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Thank you Tia!!

Suzanne said...

I am so offended by this. Ha ha! Of course I thought it was great and that you are spot on. You get a standing ovation from me.

Gal Friday said...

That was a sneaky and creepy call you got there!! And I admire the way you replied to them--I don't think I would have had my wits about me to say that (maybe after..like ten minutes after I hung up on them, that is..)
I pretty much feel the same way as you do on this topic, but could never have put into words how I feel as you did here.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Thanks Tina a.k.a. Gal Friday- I used to always keep quiet and not say what I wanted until I turned 40Even when people were saying horrific things like racist comments or terrible things about me. I would walk away and think of all the things I wished I had said to them. Turning 40 freed me for some reason. I felt I was an adult. I should say what I want and when I want and as long as I'm polite and never hurtful to anyone it would be okay. I hated myself for always getting in the car or wherever and wishing I had said this or that. Sure there are some things left better unsaid like, "gee your baby is ugly" so of course I don't do that. Some things don't need to be said. But someone like this was not listening to me and was lying to me and I felt he deserved my truth.
Besides you can't match wits with those that are unarmed now can we?