Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Izzy - the crazy Chocolate Lab

So now that I have shared my issues with health let me share Izzy's.

After this dog flu hit our pup she has developed other issues. First let me tell you that it's been all over the news about this dog influenza so it has been spreading like wild fire here in DC/Northern Va.

We noticed that Izzy got sick each and every time she had a vaccine. Of course there would be the round of antibiotics etc to make her well. Or did they? Then about the time of this upper respiratory flu stuff she began to sneeze - a lot! She was having a myriad of symptoms. I mentioned to my husband that i think all these drugs have taken all her good flora and now she can't fight anything. He poo-poo'd me. As each day went by and it all became worse. I am with her 24 hrs a day. I see her chewing herself, sneezing, having dry flaky skin, losing hair, excessive tearing, ear itching, chewing her paws, scratching around her genitals and she had gotten a very foul order as well as a fouler than normal poo. (That wasn't all but that is a good deal of them)

My pretty baby had now become my stinky girl!
When we mentioned all of these things to our vet she insisted she had an allergy to her food.

We buy special food for her from the lab breeder. It is not the stuff you get at the grocery store all filled with fillers and corn etc. It is good food for a lab. I knew in my heart this was not a food allergy. The vet insisted and was a bit condescending to me about it when I suggested this could be candida albians/systemic yeast. She smiled politely and brought me a bag of soy infused dog food. I said I wanted to try things my way first and if it didn't work I would use her food. She acted like I was trying to kill my dog. Just the opposite. You want to keep giving her drugs. She can't take any more drugs!
I did not want this puppy eating soy based food. That is so bad for a dog. So I bought the vets expensive food and brought it home. I have not opened it yet. She did say I could bring it back if my way worked. "if my way worked" was said in a passive agressive way let me tell you.

Izzy is having some die off - which means she is getting some symptoms a bit stronger but not bad. She didn't have the rashes but she has a slight one on her belly now. I know that is from the toxins coming to the surface. Friday begins week 2 where it's amped up a notch. She may get lethargic next week - which truth be told that ain't a bad thing! I could use the down time. However it is for her own good. The foul smell is so much better. We are bathing her every other day - she hates it but she stinks! Besides we are using something that is good for her with this condition. Last night while playing with her on the floor I noticed that she didn't smell anymore. So I know this is working. She has also stopped sneezing.

So it's like this poor dog really is my child - we are both dealing with the same thing. However I think hers will be resolved sooner. I think I will be changing vet's if I can find an open minded one. God it doesn't matter what degree they have as long as you call them Dr. they don't listen or trust you. They just can't think outside the box.

In the meantime I expect next week to be difficult for Izzy but after that she should only continue to improve. Boy we 2 girls are a real mess aren't we? Only difference is Izzy is still playful, happy and loveable. I am Ms. Cranky Pants.



2 comments:

tallulah said...

Sending good thoughts Izzy and Ms. Cranky Pants way!

Izzy is just soooooooo cute!

Anonymous said...

im glad shes doing better.

ive been meaning to ask...you mentioned you have pet insurance. what are the insurance plans like? is it like human insurance where they constantly try to screw you out of coverage, or is the coverage pretty cut and dry?