I had an appointment with the cardiologist in early November and they called and canceled it. They said they would switch me to Dec 10th at 3pm. I said fine. But unbeknownst to me because he didn't write it on the calendar as asked, Rick had an appointment there the same day at 9am.
We are down to 1 car right now. So Rick has to drive to Cary at 9a for 2 hr appointment and then hurry back in this direction and then I drive back there. I thought I could sit there but then I'd have to sit for 6 hrs until my appointment. (at 3pm) then Rick would have to sit there for 4 hrs. It wasn't a great option. I realize we are retired but who wants to sit in a doctor's office. Especially this one with no TV to amuse me.
I called the doctor's office and explained and asked if it was possible since they canceled my first appointment to help me make this work out for us. Can Rick come in later? Or closer to my time? Can I come in closer to Rick's appointment time?
I called the doctor's office and explained and asked if it was possible since they canceled my first appointment to help me make this work out for us. Can Rick come in later? Or closer to my time? Can I come in closer to Rick's appointment time?
No one said, "gee let me work on that and get back to you"
But no, I was met with "Sorry it is what it is what are you going to do?"
But no, I was met with "Sorry it is what it is what are you going to do?"
I said I would think about it and get back to them.
Now every day at my old job I would call customers and say, 'this customer is selling her house and her tub must be done before closing and they moved her closing to such and such, would you be willing to switch dates with them? 90% said yes. Or a contractor was working on the remodel and they weren't ready for us because they were behind so I would switch folks if they were willing. We normally threw something in like a free non slip surface ($50) or offered something for the inconvenience. It was not their fault or the former customer's fault or ours. It was generally a contractor's fault.
Some said no, I understood. BUT I TRIED TO HELP THE CUSTOMER.
I didn't just blow them off. The fact that they canceled on me with no notice the day before my appointment and inconvenienced me causing me to move things to make this work doesn't bother them one bit.
Rick and I talked about it. If this were close by the 6 hrs in between appointment times, it wouldn't be a big deal. But it's not close. So I called back today and asked again if they could help me in any way. She said her job was to schedule not to move people for my convenience. Okay then bitch.
"Can I move my appointment then?"
She flipped out. "You know the doctors in this group are very busy and I can't just overbook for you."
"I wasn't asking you to overbook for me but to make me a new appointment on a different date that would work for me. I didn't chose this date, you called and canceled my original appointment and gave me this date/time"
"Fine, how about in March will that work for you?"
Oh my god, the snarky bitchy tone. I so wanted to respond in kind but knew it wouldn't help my cause, but I was livid.
"If March is the soonest I guess I will take March. I will need refills on my Rx then."
"pfft, That's not my problem."
That did it. I'm sure she could even have meant, it's not her area of work because she is a scheduler. But at that point, it didn't matter this young bitch was all I could take. I instead said, "Okay then let's cancel this Friday's appointment and I will find another doctor. Thank you for your time today"
She exhaled loudly so I would know she was fully annoyed and then said, "Good." and hung up.
So I canceled my appointment and decided since everyone at Duke has been top-notch for my eye why not just see if there is a doctor taking new patients at Duke. I certainly didn't wish to drive to Durham. They have many offices and I am certain there will be one near me. So I did my google thing. Yep, an office in Raleigh right by Wegman's and Costco. Yea I know where it's at and I love the location so I jumped on it. I picked out doctors that interested me and called and made an appointment. But 2 of the doctors were retiring this summer so they weren't taking new patients. I also didn't want someone right out of school either. I know, pain in the ass that I am. This doctor came from St Louis Heart and Vascular I was told and honestly, that means nothing to me. But I'm giving it a go. She works at this location M, T and Wednesday only. I want this location it's a quick 20-minute drive. So I go on January 3rd now. In the meantime, if I should need refills my regular doctor will have to do it for me.
No one makes anything easy.
No one makes anything easy.
I bet Rick will say something to this doctor when he sees him. I told him not to but Rick feels he should know. The problem to me is that I don't think they give a flying F. That's where the problem begins.
Then if that weren't enough I am having a neck issue. I found a chiropractor here that I went to twice but it's so hard to get into him. He works 3.5 days a week and takes 2 hr lunches and then back to the office. Nice gig right? I couldn't get in so I called another. I asked if they took medicare. They said they did indeed. I said in the past it has covered everything including my co-pays is there anything I need to know? She said Nope.
I get there today. Fill out more paperwork than I ever did at Duke for Pete's sake. The last page is telling me what they are going to charge me today. Office visit, this and that of which I had no idea what it was. So the visit was going to be hundreds. So I opened the door and said can we go over this financial page. The woman walks into the room and explains that my medicare doesn't cover the office visit. So I have to pay just shy of $400 out of pocket, then she went into all other things. I told her I just wanted one thing I don't need all this. Oh but that is what they do.
I asked, then what does my insurance cover? Spinal manipulation. That's it? Yes.
I gave her my paperwork and said the following, "I called and I asked about charges and medicare. I was told it was covered and you accepted medicare as well as our supplements. So I made an appointment here. Now you are telling me I'll be lucky if I get out of here paying shy of $400. I have gone to other chiropractors and have not had to pay a dime. What could I have asked you to get this information?
Then the hand goes on the hip and she says, "well they probably didn't file it incorrectly."
I said, "do you know what EOBs are?"
"Of course, an explanation of benefits that are normally sent to you from your insurance."
I said, "yes and I read them and I see what they paid for, office visits, manipulation, etc. So telling me they did it wrong would mean that wouldn't be on the EOB. Something feels wrong here and I am not comfortable with this.
And honestly, I wasn't planning on paying $400 today. So I am going to leave (as I hand her my paperwork.) I'm sorry for wasting your time. But may I recommend you tell people all this when they ask. Because not doing so makes me feel like it's a scam. I'm sorry.
I left and drove home with my neck still in pain but again I'm livid. What is with this place? Did I not ask the right questions? This was the closest I've come to flipping out I was so angry. But I kept my cool until I got in the car. I screamed and pounded the steering wheel. I'm exhausted, I hurt and I'm broke. I am not paying $400 for something I can have insurance pay. I'm certain most people would just stay and hand them a credit card. But I'm 66 now. I don't do that. At 40 I would have paid it and been angry that I did but I would have been embarrassed to just leave as I did. For some reason being old now has made me not take their shit. I was polite but said what I had to say. Gee, I should leave a review. LOL
20 comments:
Well you've had your share of rude people. I had something similar at the dentist. People need to learn some customer service skills.
Oh, have you pushed my buttons today!!! I had an appointment in November too for a derm visit. Apparently the doc called in sick and I got a robocall at 7am telling me my 3pm appointment was cancelled. Yep, woke us up!!! Grrr. Called when them when they opened, next appointment is late December but you can call back for a cancellation. Haha! What a process, call every 15 min starting at 8:30 to about 10 because that's when cancellations come in, push multiple buttons, wait on extended hold, I tried a few times but asked if they couldn't just call me, I'd take anything. We can't do that. I gave up but if they call me next week at 7am and cancel again, I'm just going to go sit in their office until someone sees me or they call the police. Did I mention I waited 4 months for the original appointment? Grrr again!
My PCP left the practice, I have to wait six months for a wellness appointment. They are so busy they tell you to go to urgent care because no one can see you. Hubby needed an MRI on his foot, took over a week to get an appointment and a week later, still waiting for results. What is wrong with these people? I, too, did anything and everything I could to please a customer just because it was the right thing to do and it was my job. I profusely compliment people who actually help me these days because it is so rare. I feel your pain!
I think I'd be more upset at the chiropractor whose office assured you that you insurance would cover the visit then want $400 for the day.
Now you need another Dr to cure you of what your regular ones put you through.
Julie, I taught customer service in the 80s, one at a local college and one at a company I worked for. I wish someone would hire me now! This area has the worst customer service I've ever seen. Or is it just getting worse around the country and I am in the thick of it.
Bobi, I'm so sorry I understand your frustrations. If people are kind and helpful, or at least pretend to be, it would go a long way.
Patti, right? I need to see someone about the bites on my tongue and something for my anxiety. LOL And besides what the hell does a chiropractor do for just shy of $400?
Yesterday was a very bad day but I awoke to find that #99 Judge is staying in NY so that made my day. I didn't think he would since the California teams offered him more money.
I have to agree with Rick on this one. The doctor should know about the person you dealt with on the phone. I also think you should have tried to talk to the office manager.
And yeah, customer service? What's that? Sure haven't seen it lately. I actually hung up on Mr Pipsqueak yesterday, he's an insufferable little prick and the only thing that's keeping me from kicking him in his substandard little package is that I'm too decrepit even for kicking 24 inches up.
I'm with Ami. The only way to get by the nasty nurse is to tell the doctor directly and Rick has the only chance coming up. He can also ask for your refills.
Piling on to say Rick should absolutely say something to the doctor. That woman sounds awful. And, like you, I would have paid the $400 and been angry when I was young. But the way they brush you off is what really amazes me. They must know most people will put up with it. Around us, there would be some serious flaming going on via the local chat pages. LOL.
That rude scheduling girl need a different job where she isn't dealing with people! I don't blame you for being mad about how you were treated.
Good on ya for bailing on both appointments. They forget that they are there to serve US; it's not the other way around. I think they count on people just taking whatever BS they're dishing out just because they're doctors (or staff).
Ami, I can kick up high but I'm short so it would probably only be to his knees. LOL
Mike, I counted all my pills today I have enough to get me through to see my new doctor.
And yes, I have no control over Rick, I know him well enough to know he will say something. He was sitting next to me when this phone call was going down. He heard how nice I was. Trust me if I had been anything else he would have told me so. He has before!:-)
Hope, I left a very nice review 😂
Jean, yes that girl needs to receive a dose of her medicine. I think she would be better suited to be in a room alone doing data entry and have no contact with other humans.
bluzdude, thanks. Rick was SHOCKED that I left. He high fived me and said about damn time you don't take it. He said it again today, that he was shocked I would do that, so unlike me and he was proud of me. that was funny to me. Only thing about being old that is good. 🤣
I also agree with Ami. Lucky you, that Rick can have a face to face with the doctor and even office manager. At the very least, that scheduler has come up on her boss’s radar in a bad way. And of course you should have left that chiropractor! What a racket. Olivia
Ps feel better soon! Olivia
Oliva, I will let y'all know how it goes with ricks visit. I'm seeing the old chiro today at 11am (8th) He had a cancellation and called me and I jumped on it. Yeah!
This subject has been fascinating me, especially recently. I spent my entire career taking care of everything in my orbit. Never even thought "that's not my job" much less said it. I worked more 12 hour days than 8 hour ones, and I was exempt from overtime. So now when I encounter truly awful service, everywhere I go, my head explodes, even though I remain polite. But it really frustrates me that we are now being treated so badly. I hope Rick does convey it to the doctor, but I am doubtful that he will care, or be able to do anything about it. I fear that if he fired her, the replacement would act the same way. A big change has gone on with people - I saw an article the other day that posited that making a personal phone call without organizing it ahead of time is a hostile act toward the person you are calling. Ummm...WHAT?!?
Nina
My wife had an appointment with her neurologist to be first at 1:00pm. After 2 hours she asked whats the hold and she was told that the doctor wasn't here yet. In Canada we are having a lot of problems with the medical system. She cancelled and she was told they would set another visit but that might still be the same idea. Yike. Canada isn't as good anymore.
Cruisin Paul
Nina, are you serious? Calling someonme without letting them know you are calling is considered a hostile act? WTF? Gee I just called my mom this morning, I hope she didn't think it was hostile that I was checking up on her. What is going on in America?
Paul, I am so sorry to hear that!!
Leaving would have been totally unlike the 20s and 30s me. Now, I have no more patience for taking BS from people who are supposed to be there to serve me. They screw around, I'm gone. Life is too short to put up with that crap.
Aah, so bluzdude like me you would have stayed when younger but not today and that makes me feel better. :-)
I have long thought that the famous polite, well-mannered reputation of Southerners is one of the biggest myths out there.
Post a Comment