Friday, December 9, 2022

Friday

After my appointment with the chiropractor on Thursday I headed to the library. I wanted to get a library card. 

It's a nice small library. Not really small but smaller than the one I went to in Fairfax. Anyway, everyone was so helpful and nice. Then the woman helped me put some books on hold and showed me which computers to use for that.

I came back with 2 books to check out. 2 were put on hold for me and they will alert me via email when they come back in.

In the meantime, the ladies showed me their book club. They have a book club for food books/cookbooks and they have a book club for novels. 
I saw the novel for the first book club meeting in January. I googled the book and it is something I most definitely would read. The book club is at 10:30am on the 2nd Thursday of the month. I can't wait. 

As I said to Rick, it could be a bust, or I can meet like-minded people. 
It's something I want to do so whatever happens happens right?
I win either way because I am reading again!

I came home with books and pamphlets about the library and its activities. 
I may consider seeing if they have any part-time jobs available. I would love to work around books. I don't want a full-time job but a couple days out of the house may be something I would enjoy.

As I was filling out forms at the library the wonderful woman who was helping me was peppering me with questions. How long have I lived here? Are you from NY?  No, I asked why would you think that? She said your sweatshirt. I looked down and laughed. Duh!, I said. She laughed. 
I explained it was a baseball thing. Oh, she says, I guess I shouldn't assume. I told her well I would assume from my sweatshirt too. This is the woman who gave me a tour of the library, my pamphlets for the book club and then passed me on to another woman. 

The 2nd woman reminded me of an aging hippie. She was dressed a bit like Frankie on Grace and Frankie. She had almost waist-length wavy gray hair. She was a feisty bird and was making wisecracks. 
It was so friggin' refreshing after Wednesday's day of awful people and awful service. 
I left there on a high. 

See what I mean, I drove 4 miles outside of my county and was in Wake county where people are somewhat normal and nice. The county I live in is filled with rednecks, farmers and bigots. When the woman asked me if I lived near such and such in Garner I said no I live in south Garner, Johnston county. The smile left her face and she just said, Ooh.
I said, I understand that 'Ooh', I hate it too, and probably for all the reasons you said, 'Ooh.' But your realtor isn't allowed to tell you that unfortunately. 
We both laughed and dropped that topic!

Rick began a movie with J.K.Simmons and Sissy Spacek. I love both of these actors a great deal. It is on Prime and it's called Night Sky. 
I saw the first episode but I have to be in the right mind set to watch this and I just wasn't. I was tired and my body is sore from the chiropractor visit and I just didn't feel like watching a movie.  Sci-Fi too which normally isn't my genre but it isn't like star wars or that kind of sci-fi. 
I read where it deserved better than it received from people. Because no one was watching it was not getting a second season. 

Here's a trailer in case it is something you may enjoy. 
Again, it's on Prime if you subscribe to that.

9 comments:

Cruisin Paul said...

I love the books we get from the library. Amherstburg's library is very old and small but has wonderful books. My wife, daughter & I all pick up books especially my daughter who reads many books at a time. Me, it's just one at a time.


Cruisin Paul

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Paul I don't like doing more than one at a time. I give big kudos to your daughter who is able to do that!

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Being in a book club is a great way to get to know people through the discussions. Be sure to read all the books, not just the ones you think you will like. At least try to. If our club picks something I don't think I'll like I'll get it on tape and listen to it instead. I usually don't change my mind about the books but I find it fascinating why others do identify with something I might not. Hopefully, in 2023 you'll find your tribe.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, good points. Thx

Ami said...

I started watching Night Sky and loved it. Then I googled and learned that it wasn't getting a 2nd season. I decided not to further invest in the characters and the story because, well, why bother?
::sigh:: the acting and writing were very good, as was the work put into developing the characters.

I think people who read are great people most of the time. It's that willingness to expand your horizons. I've been a voracious reader since I was three.

I find I'm reading more now that I'm off social media.

Arkansas Patti said...

So glad you had such a good experience a the library and have a book club scheduled. Let us know how it goes.
Night Sky sound like something I would like but I can't get it anyway. Too bad.

Olga said...

I love my libraries. And my librarian friends!

Julie H said...

What book is the book club book maybe I'll read it too. I miss when I was in book club and everyone actually read the books.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, it's called Afterlife. By Julie Alvarez