Monday, December 12, 2022

Weather Outside is Frightful.

My niece's husband is one of the coaches for a small college football team in Florida. 
His team made it to the playoffs and they are set to play in the NAIA Football National Championship being held in Durham NC on the 17th of December. 
She will be coming up from south Florida for the games and she is bringing her daughter and asked if we could meet them. Are you kidding me? Of course, I can't wait!!  Her in-laws are also coming so they have made all kinds of plans. 

The school has arranged their hotels etc. 
I asked if we could babysit Avery while they did adult things. She said Avery goes to the games too. Damn it. I bet grandma and grandpa will probably have her. 
I so wanted to have Avery stay with us for a bit. She is just the cutest little shit. 
I don't get enough time with them. Oh well, at least I will see her on Saturday. 

Rick said, 'let's hope for a flight cancellation and they have to come to stay with us"
I laughed and said that is a horrible thought but I so understand!

They arrive Friday night. The game kick-off time is 12/noon Saturday. 
We are meeting for dinner Saturday and then they live early morning Sunday.
It is a whirlwind. 

My niece lives in Florida and it's going to be cold here so I warned her. She's been in Florida for less than 5 yrs I believe but she like me can no longer deal with the cold.

The storm that is dumping snow and rain on the west coast is moving here.
I saw where our weather will be changing by Thursday and it's going to be very cold. About 20 degrees colder than normal. I wanted her to know so she could plan accordingly. Sitting at a football game does not sound appealing to me in cold weather. But then I don't care for football so I wouldn't enjoy it in the summer either.

She asked the temp. I told her right now 62 but that storm you are seeing on TV will be coming our way. It will mean colder than normal temps beginning on Friday when you arrive. Highs only in the 40s and lows in the 20s. Brrr....
That is so not the weather we are used to and I know she is gonna freeze. 
I am gonna freeze and I don't live in Florida.

I asked if she had gloves, thermal anything, etc. She has a hat, scarf, gloves, and her coat from living up north. Last night we were texting. I told her I had to be in Durham on Thursday for a gyno/specialist appointment at Duke. 
I can drop a box off for them at the hotel which is about 3 miles away from my doctor's office.
I called the hotel to be sure this was something they would allow me to do. 
I've done it often but each hotel is different so I thought I would check. 
No issues, in fact, they said it is done all the time. 
At least now when they arrive on Friday night they can just give this box to them at check-in. They will be all set for Saturday's early game. 

I know she wears a medium but I have a size large thermal top. It is silky and thin like a pair of silk panties but it is a Thinsulate warm top. Think modern long johns. 
I also have heated socks. I will charge them and they will be ready to go. I asked her about the top if she wanted to try it even though it is a size large. She said OH MY GOD YES. So she didn't seem to mind that it is a size larger than she wears.  
It's thin and under a sweater or sweatshirt who will know except she will be warm. 
I then asked if they were going to take blankets from the hotel to use at the game to wrap around their legs etc. She said they really didn't wish to pack that so they were hoping they could take things from their room. I told her I would give her blankets too.

I washed all the items Sunday. These blankets were in the garage storage because I used them at the beach a lot. So they needed washed they smelled stuffy even though I knew they were clean when they were put away.  

I have put together a box of two big Mexican blankets, a Thinsulate top for her to wear under her clothes, hand warmers for 5 people, heated socks for her, a pair of Merrells, and some fun things for her daughter.  We will be having dinner with them Saturday so she can give me all the stuff back and then they fly home very early Sunday morning. 

I told her what was in the box and she was so excited. The blankets she kept saying were such a good idea. She and her MIL were concerned about sitting in the stands and freezing. They really didn't wish to pack things like that. They just wanted a carry-on. The blankets are both huge and they are very warm blankets. I literally got them in Tijuana which is a long bad story. 😊

I charged my socks and then this morning after I saw they were fully charged I tried them by inserting my hand in them. Rick kept saying to try them on to see if they were working. I had washed them I wasn't going to put them on my feet. 
They got warm quickly so I know they are ready to be worn.
She is gonna love them. As she will all the warm things in the box. This weather is going to be a shock for her and her in-laws. They are from Florida so unlike her who grew up on lake Erie and has lived in the tundra, they do not have clothes for this.
When I saw I had so many more hand warmers I decided to put enough in there for everyone. I would bet they may poo-poo at first but by the end of 1st quarter, they will love them.

She asked me why I had all this stuff since I've been in the south for so long. 
The weather in VA and here is almost the same. 5 degrees give or take if they are different. Of course, if it is not the same temp then it's warmer here. 
I explained that since I have lived in VA and here totaling over 25 yrs I am no longer able to deal with the cold like I used to. So I have all this because I had a dog to walk. My dog preferred cold weather. She could walk forever if cold. I could not. So I had hand warmers, heated socks, hat, gloves, scarves, and Thinsulate tops. (I lost the bottoms somewhere in the move which is odd.) I said I am no longer a tough snowbird, I am a weather wuss now. If it's in the 40s/30s I am freezing and I need all that stuff to be walking a dog. Now I walk every morning and find it helpful to wear some of these things when it does get cold and I can't blame Izzy. But it hasn't been that cold until this coming week.

She is going to be flying up to our hometown on lake Erie over Xmas and it will be far colder up there that is for certain and I can bet my house on the fact that they will have snow and lots of it. So she will be going through this again in another week. Her daughter, 3 years old, has never seen snow so this will be a real treat for her. 

She asked us if we wanted to go to the game. I told her that we really want to support Myles but in all honesty, we don't understand football so we will have to find another way to support him. She howled. She knows we are not football people but she wanted to ask. 

I hope where you are the weather is not bad, no mudslides, no tornados, no heavy snow or blizzard conditions. Stay Warm!

12 comments:

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Sounds like you'll have a fun few days while family are in town. I hope they stay warm long enough to enjoy your time together.

Arkansas Patti said...

So glad you are getting to visit with your niece and family but sorry it isn't for longer.
What a thoughtful person you are. You thought of everything to keep them warm. I remember the coldest ever was at a football game in Ohio. Sixty years ago and I still remember it. They will remember and talk about your gift box for years.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Patti, thank you. I baked some Xmas cookies today and I think I'll put those in there too. I just think Avery will enjoy the cookies most of all. did I tell you how much I can't wait to see that lil stinker? HA HA

Mike said...

GO HAWKS!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ah Mike, this is their first time while the other team has made the championship 4 times I believe she said. I am hoping they come up here and win since they will be freezing. That has to play into this I would think. But what do I know about football? Go Hawks is right!

Ami said...

They're going to love your care package. I tried the electric socks but they were too tight for my thundering calves.

I don't like cold weather anymore either. It used to not bother me at all, but the older I get, well, the older I get. I also don't like wind or rain or when it's too hot. LOL

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Omg Ami, you're a hoot. Sadly I understand that comment very very well.😁

bluzdude said...

I've been to a number of cold-weather football games, the worst of which was a playoff game in Pittsburgh, temp at kickoff was 11 degrees and dropping. My parents had it worse when they lived in Green Bay and went to Packers games. Forget about having a beer... it freezes in no time. My brother said he tried to take a picture of the tailgaters, after having walked from the outer parking areas, but his camera had frozen.

As bad as the cold is, the rain is worse. It always seemed to be raining when we saw games in Cleveland or at least freezing rain. The worst was in San Francisco when it was about 40 degrees and it poured continuously since the beginning of the 2nd quarter. Nothing like being cold AND soaking wet. Even the money in my wallet was wet after that game.

Anyway, I'm done with that mess now. I'm more than happy to go to a game in September/October, or sit in a corporate suite, but I'm quite content to root for my team from the couch. I've already suffered for my football. And I sure as hell wouldn't have done any of that if I didn't have a die-hard rooting interest. Definitely best for you to sit this one out.

Abby said...

I remember going to high school and college football games with just "normal" amounts of outerwear and not thinking much of it. Once I was "older", though, and going to my kids' outdoor high school events - bring on the blankets! Good of you to provide for your neice and others!

It's cold and blustery here right now, but no snow like was predicted... yet. Stay warm!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

bluzdude, oh those games sound horrible. I went to one Cleveland Game in January or Feb. It was so awful to me. My ass was frozen to the seat I swore. The stadium at the time was the original on the lake. The wind coming off the lake was blustery and I just kept thinking, why do you guys do this? It was a tour group that the agency that I worked for did annually. A steeler vs browns game. I was asked to be the "cruise director" The guys paid for the game tickets, the bus ride there which included dinner and drinks on the bus before the game, after the game etc. I was the rep for the company. Around 3rd qtr I excused myself and went and sat on the big bus with bathrooms. I tried to be a trooper but I was wet from blowing snow and I was damn cold. But Green Bay - oh my goodness that had to be even colder. But I do admit I won't sit in 90 degree heat and humidity to watch a baseball game either. I'll watch from the AC of my home. What has happened to me?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby your weather is coming our way. I'm glad so far not the snow that was predicted. My sister-in-laws are whining about cold and rain and it's in the 60s. poor babies. :-)

Julie H said...

Well that is so nice of you! I'd sit out of the football game too, yuck too cold lol.