I don't normally do book reviews because I suck at them.
(unlike Tammie over at Irregular Tammie)
But I would love to know if anyone read these books.
I have been on an autobiography run of late.
Some good, some so light and fluffy that it took a few minutes basically to read (see betty white) and thankfully I didn't pay for them!
Steven Tyler from Aerosmith wrote a book called, “Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?” Clever title, not so clever book to me.
I had read great reviews.
In fact I read no bad reviews.
I wonder now if the reviewers were blinded by the rock star and just didn’t bother to read the book.
I can’t seem to finish it to see if I will ever agree with them on their great reviews.
I hope it turns around soon.
I really enjoy his music.
While I am not as old as Steven I have loved Aerosmith since I was a kid.
I have also enjoyed him a great deal when I saw him in interviews.
Then I saw his big heart on Oprah. I see his heart on American Idol.
But this book is so different. If I had only read this I would not like this man.
At least that is how I feel with how far into the book I have gotten.
It has been a difficult read for me.
I found it read like he speaks and half the time I am trying to figure out what the hell he is saying? So to say there are a lot of “Tylerism’s”is an understatement.
A few “tylerism’s” here and there are fine and generally funny, but too many are too much – at least for me.
While an autobiography is about you the writer it should have heart.
I have not see heart in this book. Very self absorbed which is normal I guess but to the point that it is so distracting to me.
The stories around him that are swirling he is oblivious to as he recounts the story.
Then when the ending is what it is he is surprised to this day.
Yet as I read this I would think to myself that he did it all to himself.
You sure see his addictions that is for sure.
When he seriously states that acid should be used to come down from a heroin high you know the man has serious addiction issues.
He appears to me to miss the drugs and drink and it is a constant struggle for him to be sober but he has been for several years. His struggle with this at times seems to be part done for family and part done for himself. Never 100% for himself - at least that is how I see it.
That may also be why he sometimes appears to resent it to me. (sobriety)
I found this sad.
The way he spoke about himself as this rock star was also a bit off putting to me.
At least he was honest and not faking humility I suppose.
What wasn’t a surprise to me was his love of family and his children.
Oh that didn’t make him faithful in any way and he justifies it every which way one can.
C'mon he's a rock star. He believes he had no other choice.
No one else with a brain reading this or the women he has hurt would agree.
He has strong family roots in an odd sort of way and he loves nothing more than being around lots of family eating, talking and drinking wine.
He says it's his Italian American upbringing.
I find the book so hard to read.
My mind would wander and that is a true testament that the book was not holding my interest.
I hope I can give this book thumbs up by the time I get through it.
I find that hard to believe.
So far I would tell you that if you want to read a really good rock star autobiography then I would grab Sammy Hagar’s book.
Fascinating read.
Who knew he was such an entrepreneur and smart business man with a big big heart?
I have a feeling that even after I finish (and hopefully I will before 2012) Steven’s book will not be a winner for me.
I was thinking of reading Keith Richards autobiography which got rave reviews but I fear it may be too much like Steven’s.
I am going back to fiction now. I've had enough of the self absorbed bad boys for awhile.
Anyone read any of these books?
15 comments:
I've not read any of the books you're talking about. The thing with me is that I have to finish a book once I start it. I have a hard time just walking away from it even if it tanks! I hope it gets better and he redeems himself.
Lizbeth - ME TOO! that is the problem. Not a fan of the self absorbed narcissistic type and he plays the victim a lot as well. If he were someone I met at a party I would walk away and not want to see him again.
He doesn't really interest me. I hate that feeling when you're like I want to finish the book BUT IT SUCKS but maybe it will get etter?
I try to not find out too much about the personal lives about musicians and actors I like. Too often you find out they're nuts.
Mike - I know that now!
I don't read books, on a normal basis. The blogs keep me busy. At least reading on the computer, allows me the ability to increase the print size, for my old eyes. The last book I read, was Rescuing Sprite, by Mark R. Levin. I loved it.
Good luck with yours!
Ms. A - isn't that about a dog who died? Hmm.....not mentally in the mood for that I don't think. Life is giving me lemons right now i don't think I could handle it.
Yes, I cried like a baby.
I haven't read those books, but I have read Kathy Griffin's "#1 Book Club Choice," memoir and it's great.
OK, think about this: have you really ever read a bad review of a book that is available to buy? The only honest reviewers that I have found are the ones who have spent their own hard earn money for the book. Hence why I check out ebay or amazon before buying. Though lately the only reading I've been doing is on the computer as in blogs and news except for the book in the bathroom. It was given to me by another teacher who thought I would like it because the author writes about being in speech therapy classes. The name of it is 'Me talk pretty someday.' can't remember who wrote it and right now I don't have to go to the bathroom.....
Mamma- I love that book and it is by one of my favorite authors,David Sedaris. Although I would never would say it was a book about speech therapy the short stories are hysterical.
And the only reviews I read are Amazon which is where I bought it so that theory didn't work here.
Jayne- should have read that one. Love kathy...may have to be my next one.
Hey Straight Up, I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award. If you'd like to participate, please pop on over. If not, no worries, pop on over anyway. :)
ooh i kinda want to read the kathy griffin book. i like her too. in small doses anyway.
as for stephen tyler. i never know what to think about him. there are times he seems like a genuinely good guy and other times he seems like the typical spoiled, out of touch celeb.
Tammie - that is exactly how the book is just when I think I am going to toss this across the room he has a chapter that shows his non-narcisstic side....for however brief. last night while reading this I muttered, fucker - and Rick said what the hell did i do? Poor guy was just on his laptop minding his own business. I laughed and said I was talking to Stephen.
Post a Comment