Monday, March 31, 2025

Pollen

Our home is covered in inches of yellow pollen. Ricks allergies have been horrible. 

My front door is normally black but it's now yellow.

This morning after all allergy meds taken Rick set out to power wash the one side of our home. He put on a mask and headed outside. 

Over this winter it went from a yellow/beige siding to having a lot of black. But thankfully only the side facing The Ugly Naked Guy. 

Rick was all set. Then I heard "Son of a bitch"
He came inside to tell me it died. He fiddled with it for awhile.

So off to Lowes, where we just paid off the credit card to use it again. Damn.
I can't do a lot of this stuff, but I did what I could. 

Our car is yellow so that got washed too to return to its original color. 

When we were at Lowes we witnessed all the cars covered in pollen in the parking lot. We are still not used to this type of pollen.

Then we saw online where cities were ranked with the worst pollen and allergies.  Yes, you guessed it, Raleigh NC, is listed as number 1 in the lower 48 with the worst pollen and allergies. Well lucky us. 🤧

While most was power washed off the deck, furniture, grill etc. It will be all yellow in less than 24 hrs. But we got the first layer off anyway.
---------
Yes, I began the above post yesterday. Everything is awash in yellow again here on Monday morning.

On Rick's drive to the gym he saw what he thought was a plume of smoke. He said it was huge and he thought it was a fire when the car in front of him slowed down. The wind came through, it was a wall of pollen. Wow.

The car in front of him pulled into the gym too so they began talking about this event. Rick said he's never seen anything like it and the man in the car said the same.
My thought is I've never seen that, and I don't wish to.

But until then, we are wheezing and sneezin' and praying for rain to wash some of this away.

Got Pollen?



12 comments:

Mike said...

So, when are you moving here?

Anonymous said...

My sympathies. I have struggled with allergies since the 1950s as a child, back when people thought allergies were psychomatic. Irritated me beyond belief. I have already been to Costco to buy the economy three-pack of Pataday to help my eyes get through it.
Nina

Susan Kane said...

Oh man. Misery multiplied every single day? My daughter has a pool and the neighbor next to them has a crazy tree or 2 that release that yellow stuff. It lays on the pool water.

Kathy G said...

During spring allergy season I thank God every day that my allergies are very mild.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

Ugh, I would probably die. Mine have been horrible and we don't have near that amount of pollen.

Cop Car said...

Your description of your pollen situation is unreal, Peg. Wow! If we had that much, I would not be able to wash it away. We can consume water that way (or on lawns, etc) on my side of town from 10pm Friday to 8am Saturday, only. Is that pollen mostly from ornamental pear trees? They will be outlawed around here starting on January 1 of either 2026 or 2027, as I recall.

bluzdude said...

We have it too, but obviously not as badly as you do. But it's enough to turn my blue car yellow. I feel like I'm driving a giant peach.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sounds awful!

Abby said...

Hey, congrats on the top ranking?
"Wall of pollen" is not something I've ever heard of. Your trees are quite promiscuous.

Paula C said...

Wow. That pollen is terrible. My poor husband suffers each spring. If he lived there I don't think he'd be able to breathe. I hope your husband is doing okay.

Mr. Shife said...

Yikes. That sounds awful. We get some seasonal allergy flare-ups here in Idaho but nothing like that. Hope you get some relief soon.

Julie H said...

Yuck! I was looking to see if we were on the list but nope.