We had a beautiful day Thursday. I could sit out on the porch with Rick to enjoy our morning addiction of coffee.
I can't sit there for long but it was so nice while it lasted. We saw all the dog walkers and one man walking with a fire extinguisher. He wasn't walking fast so we assumed he was not headed to a fire. Oh the things we came up with for why he was carrying this item. A fire? As a weight? He's just nuts? He is using it as a weapon to hit the man sleeping with his wife?
That reminded Rick of all the 'fire' items at my various apartments. We had a good chuckle about my ole dad.
My first apartment at age 19. I was working and going to school. My cousin Frankie and his good friend Tony helped me move. My dad showed up to oversee and bring the boys a couple of beers.
When we were done I got the warnings. He gave me mace to put on my key ring. He talked about fires in my 2nd floor apartment. I also received a large first aid kit. And you know every young girls wants this!
My 2nd apartment Dad bought me a small fire extinguishers. He made certain I knew how to use it before he left.
My next apartment on the 2nd floor he gave me a fire ladder to escape the fire out the window.
Yes, these were my housewarming gifts from my father.
By the time it got to my fire ladder, which I kept under my bedroom window, Rick found this all so funny. "Your dad is definitely afraid of a fire isn't he?"
Oh how we laughed.
Rick said, "you know it's really kind of sweet"
"I suppose it is, I say. As an older person now I see that it's sweet AND funny."
As a 20 yr old I would have preferred a houseplant but that's my dad. I'm the oldest of 5 girls, he worried a lot. Being the oldest I got the brunt of it, but even as he mellowed through the years he was always funny like this.
So maybe that man was a Dad and he was delivering a fire extinguisher to his daughter in her first home.
You never know...
Or he's nuts
14 comments:
I bet your Dad had known someone lost in a fire, perhaps, and that's why he was so vigilant on your behalf.
Debra, it would seem that way but my step mom says no. Who knows, it's funny as hell to me and my family.
You've reminded me that we need to get a fire escape ladder for our condo.
Well glad dad and I could help!😃
I think he just wanted you to have things, just in case. He loved you very much.
Oh Susan, I know he did. My dad was very strict with me, but by the time #5 came around she had it made!! I may not have had all the material things I wanted, always had what i needed ,but we were spoiled with love.
https://secucaptain.com/ I recently bought some fire blankets at my daughters request for Christmas. Then I bought some for my house. Small ones and big ones. I just checked their website and they are sold out. I assume they're making more.
Weren't these on Shark Tank? We always talk about getting them, yet we haven't. I think they're great.
Aww. That was sweet and very practical of your Dad. I liked the idea of the man carrying it for weight when he exercised but then wouldn't he need one for each arm?
Yes Barbara he would need two, but we are not being logical when making fun of our neighbors.😉
Well clearly he didn't want to lose you! Dad's can be practical that way. Funny to think of that when seeing a man out on a fire extinguisher stroll!
Dads have their ways of protecting their families - especially their daughters. My dad gave me a small toolbox full of tools when I went to college. None of those sissy tools painted pink, but tools that would have felt at home in his workman’s hands. I still have those tools and they get used frequently - especially the side cutters!
Oh, I got that for Xmas. I admit my hammer was lighter in weight but I still have my tools.
Wonderful!
Post a Comment