Sorry been busy. My niece being here and all.
Rick's melanoma surgery is tomorrow.
So since you all asked in comments about the story of our cookie company I will repost those since I am crazy busy right now.
The posts were written in 3 parts.
You asked for this.
Hopefully, you make it through.
Oh, and if you comment come back and it here, not on the 2011 post if you can. Thx
11 comments:
Wow, what an incredible story!
I agree with bluzdude!
bluzdude and Kathy, hopefully, that didn't bore you to tears. incredible? I don't know about that but it does show you what does when they lose their jobs and are broke. The library was a wonderful thing. We survived.
Great. Now I want cookies.
Man, those are looong. Let me put those on my reading list. 😁
Man, this hits me on so many levels. First, I am beyond impressed with what you two did. Amazing!
But secondly, it breaks my heart because I was in the same position, although in the early 80s. My significant other, who was by far the bigger wage earner, lost his job when his company closed. But that's where our stories diverge. I reacted similarly to you and Rick, but unfortunately my partner did not. This is when I learned that you find out who people are when the chips are down. He actually wore a hole in the seat of our sofa, sitting there all day and most of the night, watching TV with the sound blaring. He threatened suicide. He wouldn't read the want ads (way pre-Internet!). I would circle the ads I felt might interest him, and he would explain to me why each wasn't for him. My favorite excuse was he didn't want to drive that 45-minute commute. I found an entry level job with a fast-rising financial company and worked harder than anyone else, earning promotion after promotion, working long hours (worked until nearly midnight on New Year's Eve 1985 because tax laws were changing 1/1/86). He resented my success there and never supported me (I came home one evening at around 7:30 pm as he was washing the dishes from the great dinner he had made for himself - nothing left for me.)
I stayed with him through a misguided loyalty, only to finally leave him after his being mostly unemployed for 12 years. I am still wracked with guilt almost 30 years later and will likely never remarry because I will never trust my own security to someone else again.
This is why I love your blog so much. Your relationship with Rick reminds me of the good days I had with this guy before life intervened - the humor, affection, all of it is so familiar.
Nina
Wow! I am impressed that you guys went the full monty on The Cookie Mug. Great idea and the motivation to make it bigger and better. It is sad to hear that the subsequent owners started cutting the size and quality down so quickly. You guys are so good together!
My chef friend and I talked about a bakery, but I knew I wasn't into that much work at this point in my life. I know how much energy it takes to prepare and bake and have it all done on time.
Healthy vibes and positive thoughts being sent to Rick.
Ami, did you make or buy any cookies? :-)
Nina, I'm so sorry you went through that. But glad you left and took care of you. A good friend of ours had the same exact issue. He laid on the sofa, got high and ate all darn day. She finally left him and then he got his shit together. But by then it was too late.
And Never say never. I said the same thing about getting married again and then I met this guy. I swore I'd never get married again and look where it took me. I met this Rick and it all worked out the way it was supposed to.
Yvonne, oh don't be so impressed, if you lost your job you'd do the same thing. The company that let me go ended up calling me back when we were in Seattle. So it all worked out right? It is very hard work and I think at this age I couldn't do it again. Sleep and you getting paid if a start up are the last two things that ever happen. You were smart. Next life you can do it when you're younger. :-)
Post a Comment