Monday, December 11, 2023

Tornados

 I was in the office and I was clearing off my desk. Rick was watching a testosterone movie. You know, no dialog, but a lot of grunts, explosions, gunfire, punching sounds, etc. 
He opened the office door and asked, "Didn't you get the warning?"
"Warning for what?"
"A tornado" None on my phone. Hmm...

I closed down the computer and left the office. We went to a local TV station. (he was streaming) we saw that the football game was interrupted because of this weather. I bet a lot of people were upset about that.

We saw the track and having never had to worry about tornados before we weren't sure what to do. We always thought to go in the basement but here in the south, there are no basements. Late yesterday we heard there would be winds with the rain coming so we made sure everything was secure on the patio etc. Glad we did that.

The wind and rain were crazy. The tornado went through my town but we were spared. We didn't even lose electricity.  But everyone around us sure did. From what we saw on the news we are so fortunate. The town is a mess. No power, traffic lights are down, and houses with trees through them or gone.
We both feel for these poor people. I can't fathom running to the store or going to dinner and coming home to no house. That's tough.

As Rick said, we got lucky and it's about damn time.

15 comments:

Julie H said...

Wow lucky for sure!! Jess would go in their pantry when they had warnings it was the only "inside" room.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, we have no inside rooms even our pantry. If we sat on top of washer and dryer that's an inside closet. But I don't think Rick coukd fold up like that! Crazy.

Jane said...

I'm glad y'all are safe.
We were always told to go to the bathroom, get in the tub, if you're able to put a mattress on top of you. They say now to put a bike helmet on also. You really want to put as many walls between you and the outside that you can, and be in a place where there are no windows.
You may want to buy a NOAA weather radio, they save lives, and are on top of things when the local weather may not be.

BootsandBraids said...

How scary! Your luck changed at just the right time.

Mike said...

Time to build a storm cellar under the house with an inside and outside entrance.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike, my handyman is broken, wanna come over to build it?😊

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Plain Jane, both bathrooms are outside walls so that wouldn't be good for us. That was our concern. Thankfully this was rare.

Boots, you got that right!

bluzdude said...

Man, tornados give me the heeby-geebies. I'm glad this one passed you by!

Abby said...

It is about damn time!
Tornadoes are scary in how unpredictable they are. I'm glad you were spared!

Olga said...

I heard to get in the bathtub. Fortunately I haven't had to try that out but the way the climate is going these days I fear it is only a matter of time.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

bluzdud, yea they give me the hee bee geebies as well. Not something we thought we'd have to deal with. Hurricane season we get remnants from the shore but we are central NC so we only get the rain and wind left over. It was a mild tornado they said, EF1. Some parts of the city are gone and some just have horrific damage.

Abby, thanks we're glad too.

Olga, yep we heard bathtub and then we thought gee it's an outside wall. So who knows and I hope we never have to experience that again.
But you're right the neighbor said the same thing, not normally something to worry about around here but with the climate changing it seems to be we may need to.

bluzdude said...

Even an F1 is a big deal, if it's coming down YOUR street.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

bluzdude, I would agree. We've had it all since moving here and I'm ready for it to be calm. But I don't think that is gonna happen according to Nostradamus. :-)

Cruisin Paul said...

Thank God the tornado didn't hit you.
I worry every time one is near.

Cruisin Paul

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Paul, thx. Never lived where this happens