Well, that's over.
Now to the next holiday, the New Year's Day.
I hope 2024 is going to be far better than 2023.
But that's what I said in 2022.
So there is that.
We are in that limbo when it's no longer Xmas and not yet New Year's but nobody wants to go back to work. And being a Monday this year it had to be horrible to go back to work on Tuesday. I say everyone should just have off between Dec 25 through January 1. But I don't get to be dictator, that's trumps job.
Cooking for just the two of us is silly most days. We made a ham for Christmas because he kept telling me he wanted it. After I had a piece and Rick had two here we are with this big ole ham. I did make killer potatoes au gratin. No veggies and no salad. It was a sad and pathetic holiday meal.
Rick is going to make split pea and ham soup which I love with that big ole ham bone.
I made him ham and eggs this morning before we ventured off to PT.
I am certain there will be ham in about everything. Quiche, casseroles etc.
I was thinking of this casserole with broccoli, rice, and ham. But again, there will be a lot and can I get some folks to come over and eat some food? A few weeks ago I brought in a pasta dish to therapy. OH were they excited. It was leftovers so I didn't think that was a big deal. I just made it like always and there was just too much. Then I had to bring a printout of the recipe for them on the next visit. But I was glad they liked it so much and I got rid of it.
When my dad had dementia he never wanted to eat. The doctor told my mom that something (I don't recall the proper term) in his brain that controlled hunger was not functioning or telling him he was full. Which would be great for someone to lose weight but this small man did not need that. So the doctor told her to just put food in front of him and he will probably eat it. And sure enough, if she asked if he was hungry he would say no. If she put a 1/2 sandwich on a plate in front of him he would wolf it down. Wild right?
Well, it appears to me that is Rick's new brain. I mean a stroke is a head/brain injury as was my dad's Parkingson's dementia. Who's to say it's not similar? Rick always says he isn't hungry until I make him something then he will eat it. One day last week he said he was not hungry so I just made myself a 1/2 PB&J for lunch. Then he says, gee that looks good and he wants one.
This is a far different man from before the stroke when the man could put down the food! He could eat a steak the size of something on the Flintstones, a brontosaurus-sized steak. Today he wants to share a small strip steak with me. It's weird and something I need to get used to.
My neighbor the hairdresser left us some goodies she makes each year for Xmas. I wish I could eat them. Rick gets upset that she always brings things I can't eat. I don't care. I told him it's not her issue, she probably doesn't remember and even if she did she should not have to make things I can eat. She had a tin of these pretzels that were peanut butter and chocolate. Rick said they were awesome. The other thing she made in this tin was a Chex Mix. I believe it's called Puppy Chow. A mix of chocolate, peanut butter, chex cereal, and powdered sugar. I like those and chex I can eat, but she put pretzels in hers so they are out for me. Oh well, I do not need them.
And speaking of eating. I have not been feeling well at all. I don't say anything to Rick because he's got enough on his plate but he's noticed. Lots of GI issues and then the swelling began. My face, my joints and I'm just feeling sick and extremely tired. I feel like I've been glutened. But I am so good at my diet and no one has been here to cook for me so I know all the food and I know I clean the butcher block if Rick's bread is on it before I use it, etc. So how can I have been glutened? Last night was the worst. I was so sick. I was nauseated and my tummy was a hot mess. Rick looked at me and said, "Have you been glutened? You look so swollen and sick?" I said, "You know I was thinking the same thing but how?"
Then as we were watching a movie he paused it and said, "Did you check your new medication?"
OMG that's probably it!!
I went online and sure enough, it had gluten in it. I had to track down the manufacturer and then look up the ingredients. Sounds easy but took over an hour to track down. Needless to say, I stopped it today. My doctor is not in so I went back to my old meds for the same thing because I know that is better than not taking anything and I know they do not make me sick.
Yes, the pharmacy knows that they should let me know but they don't give a rat's ass. Peanut allergy is just as lethal just faster. So then they care.
An autoimmune disease they don't give a shit.
This will take me two weeks to get well now that I found the source.
Rick keeps apologizing as if it's his fault. He knows how sick I've been the last 2 weeks and each day it was worse. But I just didn't believe it was gluten because damn it I am eating clean. But even in your medication, it can be in there as a filler.
Wheat, barley, and rye will kill me. Or die from vomiting and diarrhea.
Oh well, I will survive but it's so not good for me. Do you know having celiac gives you a very larger percentage of getting cancer? Yeah, it's a bear but it's not worth cheating. Had I known that my meds were making me sick I'd have had a piece of cake or pizza I told Rick as long as I was sick. But you know what? I still wouldn't have. In 2 weeks I should be able to see my knuckles again and not be so damn sick. It's like the flu only with joint pain and GI issues to boot. This makes me so freakin' angry.
Christmas evening we wanted to watch a light, frivolous type of movie where we could just not put much brain power into it. We took a walk after dinner in our Santa hats but it was 67 degrees and the hats were a bit too warm. TV was horrible and we were alone on this Xmas so it was quiet here. The movie we chose was perfect.
It's called The Bank of Dave. (Netflix)
I read in Vanity Fair it is a true-ish story. The broad outlines of the story are true. The movie took some liberties with Def Leppard because the real Dave LOVES Def Leppard. This takes place in a small town north of London. The location is true to the real Dave. Nonetheless, it is a cute movie.
It's amazing how we speak English but there are words and phrases they use that I have no friggin' idea of what the hell they were talking about.
But I do like British humor or as they would write, humour. It's a cute movie and because it's true (or tru-ish as they say at the beginning) it was even more delightful.
The Vanity Fair article showed the real Dave and he looks so much like the man who played him in the movie. I love that the little man won! Could this happen in the US? Doubtful.
And lastly, I wanted to share my disgust with Bezos. Doesn't he have enough money for God's sake? Now he is making us watch ads with all our prime videos starting next week unless we wish to pay another $2.99 mo. Now c'mon didn't he just raise the price of Amazon Prime a few months ago? We have to rethink all of this. I have to streamline my streaming services. As more merge, it may be better for us, then again who knows.
15 comments:
I just watched that Bank of Dave.
I was dying yesterday from something or a combo of what I ate. Finally felt better this afternoon. Hopefully I don't get sick again.
Christmas wasn't my best this year either Peg. Maybe the new year will be better. With these new eyes, I feel weird. Life is so different. Oh well maybe we both can have a New Year in 2024.
Cruisin Paul
Julie, you seem to get sick a lot. I those kiddies are Lil Petrie dishes. Lol
Paul, what was done to your eyes? I thought it was cataracts and most see better after. I'm sorry you're not, because that stinks!!
Our Christmas was quiet.
I have a close friend who has celiac and I see that it is a constant vigil for even the tiniest milligrams of gluten. Even her cat's medication gave her a reaction. I hope the new year is better for you two!!
This week between the holidays is always a weird one. Sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well, but at least you've figured out why and can take steps to make it go away.
We watched Ricky Gervais' latest special (Netflix) and had the same problem with some of his British references.
Peg it was cataracts and it's OK but this Christmas was just the pits. Maybe it's just me.
Cruisin Paul
I would have thought the pharmacist would have noticed the gluten, but maybe they don't check? Hmm. Glad you found it, but really sorry you have to go through 2 weeks of recuperation. We are used to Christmas with just the two of us. Since we moved out here, no one wants to make that drive! We talk on the phone, or face time. It was a very chill Christmas since we didn't put up the tree (puppy) or any other decorations.
New Year's will be equally as quiet, for the same reasons. Romeo is not much of a partier, and after you avoid or turn down invitations, they quit coming :-)
Thx Olga.i wish more people coukd understand this. It's an invisible disease.
Kathy-no where to go but up😄
Mike- we watched that too. Not as good as usual to us. A bit disappointing. Try Trevor Noah's new one.
Paul, nope think it's a lot of us!
Yvonne, we had nary a decoratio n! New years Eve is our anniversary so we always do low key..dinner early and home. But this year it's just home and I'm okay with it.
And yes, the pharmacist is to let me know. Hence why I get angry.
I have more than one friend who can't have gluten. It amazes me how many products contain it.
I'm really sorry that happened, and I hope you're feeling better now that you've figured it out.
I will have to watch that movie.
I have Amazon Prime, but it isn't because of the video content. I just order a lot of stuff.
Yeah, Bezos is an asshole. Amazing that he doesn't have enough money already, still shitting on the little guy to make more. I fucking hate ads. On tv, popups online, whatever.
People who work for Amazon are treated like shit, too. We have a gigantic Amazon facility just up the road. Like 5 minutes away. It's incredibly huge. Just like his fortune and his ego. Pretty sure he doesn't have anything else huge, though. LOL
One of my coworkers can't eat gluten. It really gives a sense of how tough it is since nearly all the "treats" people bring in to share at work - cookies, muffins, bagels, donuts, pizza... have gluten. Glad you found the source!
A friend of mine has a grandson with some sort of syndrome where he doesn't feel hunger. He had to be taught to eat once he was old enough - so strange for a baby. I worked with lots of dementia patients at the nursing home who wouldn't eat unless someone fed them.
We didn't renew our amazon prime the last time it came due. I don't miss it.
ami, probably not (huge) In VA and here are 2 extremely large warehouses. To get our packages faster I suppose.
Abby, it is in EVERYTHING. candy. I used to love licorce but that's a no-no. Loved malt vinegar on my fries - nope. Hoesin sauce. I love Chinese food so I had to switch from soy sauce (wheat) to Tamari. It took a while to adjust but now I don't mind it, it's like a lighter soy sauce. So I can't go to Chinese rest. anymore. I could go on and it would shock you where it is hidden. Most people think Oh I eat gluten free - all they are doing is giving up pasta and cakes etc. I make most of my food here at home. It's taught me to cook for better or worse. :-) Thank goodness I can drink wine and gin. I'm okay there. Hey a gal has to live!
Be careful with supplements too. My doctor recommends I stay away from gluten. Did you take a test that confirmed celiac? I do go through flares where diarrhea is bad, but no reaction lime you describe here.
Paula, yes, I was tested. Severe tummy pain & diarrhea are only a few symptoms and the least of the pain. To be tested you must eat gluten, that was the hard part. My supplements are all GF. I don't do cross contamination either. These pizza places that say they have a gf pizza. Yea, the dough may be, but you're putting it on a floured surface.using same board to put pizza in oven. That is not gf. Its not a dedicated surface. Cross contamination is real! MacDonalds home fries or French fries you would assume are gf- but I got very ill when I started this journey and didn't know. It's fried in grease that has bits of breading from their Nuggets and fish. They dont have a dedicated fryer. Took me a long time to figure out when that made me sick. Be careful. The easiest way I can explain to people is this. It is NOT an allergy but for explanation, like a peanut allergy, even the smallest piece of peanut can cause a severe reaction. Only difference is ours is internal. It's an invisible disease.
Post a Comment