Saturday, December 23, 2023

A few housekeeping tidbits from the Cookie Post.

To clear up a couple of comments and emails -

When we got to Seattle it was all great until around the 2 year mark, the owner of the company that wined and dined us was taken out in handcuffs. He had embezzled amongst other interesting things.
 
Thankfully I was asked to come back to the company that downsized me and they moved us to the mid-Atlantic region (MD) Rick got in touch with a company he had worked with in Seattle and he knew they were looking for a recruiter so he called them and immediately got the job for the eastern seaboard for this company. He could work from home and just travel as needed within his territory.

Two years later I was recruited to the competition of the company I worked for. We had just moved to VA since I worked from home it didn't really matter if I was in MD or not. But this company wanted me to work in Manhattan. Then when the cost of the move came up etc I suggested I just work from home as I did now and just traveled to NYC by train. They loved that idea. You see I had the complete state of NY so if I was in NYC they would have to fly me to Albany or Rochester anyway. They saw my point as I made a spreadsheet of expenses. I knew that would win my case and it did. Whew, cuz there was no way Rick would have moved to Manhattan.

So Rick and I both worked from home and traveled within our territories when not at our home offices.
Then we both got downsized again at ages 50 and 51 and there we were again, with no jobs but now bigger items in our life as in 2 homes, several cars, etc. that we had to sell and fast!

After 18 months of not getting offered anything we cashed in our 401K and started a business again until we retired. 
So there ya have it. 
I learned that in my next life, I will NEVER work with a spouse or for that matter ever have my own business again. Let someone else do all the fretting. As for my spouse, that is the most difficult thing there is. You can't go home to your loved one to vent about the asshole at work when he's the asshole at work. So there is that. 😊

12 comments:

Abby said...

Thanks for that advice. I've never thought it would be a good idea to work a spouse-and-spouse business. As for running my own business, I've come to find I rather prefer just being a cog in the machine.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, we vowed to never ever work with one another again. I think we did it as well as any couple, but it's not easy. People always say marriage is hard. We both agree that it's never been hard for us. But working together and being married was very difficult. The only time marriage was hard for us. People thought we did it so well from the outside. HA. I recall driving to work with him one day, working all day, dealing with issues that we didn't agree and then coming home with him. Eating dinner and in the evening sitting on the sofa I was reading, he watching tv and I could hear him breathe and it annoyed the shit out of me. We talk about this and laugh all the time. Now to me/us it's funny. But not then, all I could think of was, omg he's still breathing. LOL

Julie H said...

So did Rick leave the GF and you guys get married somewhere in that process of you moving in as a friend and then having your cookie business?

I'd probably be in jail if Scott and I worked together. I'm pretty sure he has ADD. Drives me crazy.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, yes, we both realized something was there. It was a Harry Met Sally moment. I was in a car accident and he came to save me after not speaking to one another for a few months. Just like the movie. Then he made this admission that he wanted to talk to me before he went to bed and see me in the morning. So yes to answer your question he dumped her and we've been together since. We lived in 'sin' for 3 years before getting married. This ny's eve is 30 yrs of marriage and 33 of living together and been in one another lives for 36 yrs. It's been a long time. :-)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh and Julie, I'd be in jail today if I had to work with him again. twice was enough. He drives me crazy. He is slower than me. I am more organized and he is willy nilly about things We are opposites when it comes to work. So the fact that we've done it twice and are still happily married proves if you don't have a gun you won't use it. LOL

Mike said...

" I could hear him breathe and it annoyed the shit out of me." BWAHAHAHAHA Now that's funny!

Hey, remember that picture you posted a while back of a person who was headfirst into a washing machine with their feet in the air? Was that a picture of you or not? Because I saw that same picture in a meme the other day.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

No Mike, while this has happened to me it was not me.😀

Olga said...

I couldn't work with someone I had to share a house with I am quite sure.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga, I very much understand that!

Kathy G said...

Hubby and I are a good team when we each have our own projects and come together over dinner to discuss them. I can't imagine talking work both day and night!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Kathy, funny you say that. After about year 3 we made a pact, no business once we got in the car and drove home. It certainly helped. If he'd start to say something, I'd say I can't hear you and he did the same. Took time but we did to that point. So you ate correct.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

'Are' not ate. Wish blogger let us edit.