He made an egg scramble with ham, onions, cubanelle pepper, eggs of course and cheese.
She watched him use a knife. She had him make changes if necessary. They both sat and ate.(I had breakfast already) I sat and listened.
She told him at the end that she was proud of what he did. She is really tough on him so this meant a lot to him. She doesn't say that often. He too was proud.
He cooked and cleaned up. His left hand is still an issue for grabbing tightly. He can grab and feel now but a tight grip is still not there for him...yet. This frustrates him so. They work on it daily. I keep reminding him that 3 weeks ago he couldn't do anything with that arm/hand so be kind to yourself.
I saw he could do this cooking and dicing, but as she said, not without supervision at first.
I walked into his room this a.m.just after the Dr was there. He was told he's going home Monday. He is so happy. They asked him if he felt ready. A loud YES.
His therapy people agree.
They told me he has made great strides and he is where most are in 1/2 the time.
I told him he has to kick ass all week or he stays. He laughed and said, not true but I want to use my therapists as much as I can while I have them. Agreed!
He also got weighed today with clothes and heavy new balance sneakers and found he lost 31lbs. Helluva way to lose weight.
He said I have to keep the loss going. Yep.
Rick gained all this weight after he retired. He did physical labor. He would climb 12 flights of steps with heavy equipment. He was always physically moving etc.So he retires but was eating the same. How many times have you seen an athlete who after reitement blows up? Same with Rick. One can't eat the same without all that exercise. NOW he is hearing everyone on this topic. Only took a stroke to see his wife was right.
☺️
To say I'm happy he's coming home is an understatement. The hospital is sending us home with equipment they think he may want or need, like a walker with wheels in front. Some other things too.
I bought the grab bars and a thingy for the master toilet for help getting up. He doesn't think he needs it. We shall see.
Tuesday was a good day. He was in better spirits and he did so well.
That makes my day better too.
17 comments:
Blessings! He did the work, he reaps the rewards - Home!
So happy for you guys! Way to go Rick!
I was trying to remember which state you are in? Our geographic area has a program called Master Gardener. Thought that might be a place to contact re: some help with the garden and yard. Maybe trade some fresh garden produce for some assistance? Then I can send you a can of green beans next winter if need be. More unsolicited ideas!
timberdawn
Yay! Excellent progress, Rick! It's a good thing you're the cook in the family! :-)
You may not need the equipment they send home with you, but it's much better to have it and not need it than the alternative! I saved a few things from my parents last years, and have needed to use my father's walker, a grab bar that clamps onto the side of a bathtub (just needed a little extra stability) and safety rails for the WC. Wish I had kept the over-the-door, pulley exercise system we had for my father, as I somehow developed a torn right rotator cuff--just to go along with my other mobility issues. :-( Had to buy one for triple the price and not even 50% as nice!
Looking forward to your next progress report. And the beginning of Peg's journey!
...Taja (on the computer; no desert emoji today)
Grace I will be responding to your email tonight I promise.
timberdawn - we live in Raleigh NC. A blue dot in a red state. :-)
Taja, well he won't be doing a lot of cooking but he can sit at the island and supervise a great deal. LOL
I tore my rotator cuff several years ago. Damn it was painful but I had surgery and it's all perfectly fine now. But that was a toughie to sleep etc.
I hope pegs journey is quick and easy!! ๐
https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-walker-skis/ID=300405664-product
Such great news. Amazing progress. May things continue to go well for both of you.
That's fantastic news!
I know he's worked incredibly hard, and I also know it's been stressful and hard for you, too. So glad he gets to come home so soon!
Sending you both a hug and an imaginary bottle of champagne!!
Awesome news! He is such a trooper! It takes lots of hard work and he certainly is doing it!
So happy for the both of you...about damn time you guys got good news!
Not to take away from his efforts in anyway (they have been phenonemal), but, such a male:
Only took a stroke to see his wife was right.
Been there!
I really am so happy for you both.
So there it is... A stroke is nature's way of saying "Your wife was right."
I'm thrilled for the good news!
I'm so happy for the both of you. Rick has done amazing work during this time. He may need grab bars in the shower or even a special chair in the shower for a while. Please make sure that even though he's excited to be home, sidewalks and grass will dangerous especially if he decides to move quickly. Falling will be a problem if he doesn't take his time, I know because I fell many time and because of his head.
My wife was my strength and you have been the same Peg.
Cruisin Paul
Big light at the end of that tunnel. Great work!
What great news! Even if he thinks he doesn't need them still put the gr-b bars up. Neither one of you are getting any younger and if they can prevent just one slip-and fall its worth the cost and time to install.
Woohooo great news!
Great news! Happy for both of you.
Mike you're sick.
Bobi, Ami,Cheryl, thank you! and it is damn time we got some good news. I don't like to focus on all the shit that has piled on us since moving but boy I hope it's done for awhile.
Olga and bluzdude, yes it took a stroke to see I was right...again. LOL
Paul, thank you. Rick says the same thing to me and I know if tables were turned he would be my strength. This is why it's important to not have him see how sick I am. I lie a lot right now. He doesn't need that extra stress. We will get through this. And yes, falling is our concern. right now his biggest issues is his fear of falling more than the actual fall. But it will get better just as you did. ๐งก
Abby, dim light but it's a light. :-)
Jean, got em already.
Julie, it is isn't it?
Janice, thank you!
No, those are for the back of the walker. Take the round plugy things off and put these on. They help the back of the walker get over thresholds and carpet edges.
Post a Comment