Rick walked today!!! Big damn day!
His OT and PT team came in and said, think you can walk and he said sure. By the time they were at that side of the bed, he was sitting up with his feet dangling.
When he had gout as I mentioned earlier he could not walk or put weight on his weak leg. They were so worried about him falling.
He was sitting on the bed and he was about to get up and they told him to sit still and just sit. He was to wait for them. But Rick had other ideas.
They brought him a walker and again, he pulled himself up and grabbed the walker. They told him they were going to hold his gown in case he got lightheaded or was going to fall. He told them he was not going to fall.
He left his room and walked down the hall. They followed him with a chair in case he got too tired. He did not need it. Then because he was standing he asked his PT if he could hug me while he was standing. God, I love that man. So I got a big hug.
He had speech today, OT, PT, and walking. His doctors visited and we had discussions and by 3pm he was so exhausted. We were there at 8am and honestly, I was tired too. I asked if he was okay with me leaving. (he has said plz stay longer so I ask now) He said, "Yes because I am tired."
Good he needs the sleep. So I'm home right now and avoiding Miss Know it All.
My favorite thing was when the doctor asked where she got her degree. I loved that he put her in her place.
I have some family coming to help me closer to when I have to go to the hospital.
My sigmoid colon surgery is now on the 21st. Labrascopy and I can come home when I poop. I find that funny. They said to figure about 3 days.
The hospital person came to me (I forgot her title) She works with rehab and another dept. I don't recall, sorry! She said she saw Pat, his PT person and she told her we had no intention in having him walk today in fact his nurse said he wasn't ready for this. So they were blown away to see him walk so well. That lead her to us because they have meetings where they discuss patients. So all those people who saved his life wonder, how is he doing? So they go over patients so those behind the scenes can see how they saved a life or not. Also because it broke their record, the life-saving drug should be administered I think she said 30 minutes, it's their hospital goal. Rick had it in 24 minutes and was already being wheeled to surgery for part 2 to remove the clot through his groin. So they took our pictures to share the story of how it happened when it happened, and how he is 10 days later. Weird but I understood. So Rick had to sign this release so that they could share this information.
I'm exhausted and just wish to chill.
But she doesn't like loud noises. So the tv is on but I can't hear it and if Rick were here he wouldn't be able to hear it. So I use the blue tooth bone conduction headphones to watch TV. She loves to watch shit I hate but if it means she's quiet I don't care.
All in all a good day.
14 comments:
They don't know your man! Attitude is everything and, if there is one thing he has, it's attitude. Tell him he has a cheer squad in Portland!
So glad Rick walked! Kudos to you for honoring Rick’s wishes re sister. Deep breaths for you now. Olivia
Linda, I will!! And thank you!
Olivia, deep breaths. I told Rick this was my karma cuz he deals with my crazy family.
So happy to hear some good news! Sorry to hear about your tone-deaf, clueless visitor, she's a bit old to be a Valley Girl, no?
When you mentioned poop, I just had to share this video of pooping baby hummingbirds. It's hilarious, the sound effects are perfect, it's just over a minute long and should give you a much needed laugh:
https://youtu.be/TimYNPXhM98
Good for Rick! Soon he will walk right out of there.
I'm glad to hear you have family coming. I wouldn't put it past Rick to declare "he can take care of things".
"the doctor asked where she got her degree" I can just imagine what you're putting up with if she irritated a doctor enough for him to blurt that out.
Yay for the walking. I'm so glad to hear that he's up and about.
This is fantastic news!! SO HAPPY to read this update.
Also really glad your 'helpful visitor' is getting the eff out soon.
I appreciate the much-needed good news, that's awesome. But you had to know that Rick wasn't going to take this shit lying down!
Good luck with the Wicked Witch of the West. Hope she doesn't know you have a blog...
What great progress Rick is making and I'm glad you were able put your surgery off until the 21th. Lots of unknowns will be sorted out by then regarding the next steps in Rick's recovery and where he'll be doing it.
That is wonderful news.
I LOVE the doctor for asking her that question!!!
I am surprised they tell her anything, around here she would not be considered immediate family with rights to medical info unless you were asked and agreed to share. Even then she would not get a "vote" on treatment options.
Hang in there, you are doing well.
JC
I'm so happy for Rick. He has strength and I bet it comes from you Peg. I didn't walk again until after a month. Fantastic guys.
Cruisin Paul
How much longer is she staying? I think she should go home now.
WTG Rick! He's a fighter!
Such good news! We are united in rejoicing with you both. And please accept my apology for my "bordering on crass" comment the other day. I'm old and the substandard filters that I used to have only work intermittently now, which is why I try not to comment very often. Not that I don't stand by my comment, but it sounds like you and Rick have worked out a solution.
It boggles my mind that she didn't see any way to help you, but felt entitled to visitor status. Oops! Putting away my soapbox.
Just remember! Unsolicited advice is worth every penny that you do not pay! Take care lovely lady.
timberdawn
Timberdawn, you DID NOT offended me. Only things that offend me are racist/bigoted comments. You spoke the truth and normally I would do exactly as you said. But Rick is adopted and just met his siblings a few yrs ago. I think he is in the honeymoon phase. He would NEVER tolerate her behavior or mouth!! He is Mr. No Filter. I just promised him I wouldn't while he's here. So I'm with you. She leaves in less than 24hrs. Then it's gonna rip.🤣
Post a Comment