Can someone explain to me how trump can run for office?
If you commit a felony you aren't allowed to vote. So you can run for office?
I missed this day in social studies obviously, can someone clear this up for dumb ole Margaret?
Because Rick is doing well he is not as what I call needy. So this Saturday I am not going to the hospital so I can get things ready for company. Buying all their food and booze and stocking up the fridge and pantry for all 3 of them while I'm in the hospital. Guest room cleaned and stocked.
I told Rick I was probably not coming on Saturday and he said, "Okay no problem, got a date?" I told him I'm too tired to date, no one wants a woman with these big bags under my eyes. He laughed and said, "I love a big ole bags under the eyes woman, does she want a big ole baby man who drools?" I most certainly do I told him.
Thursday he had an hour before the next therapy and we were talking and laughing but his door was almost closed. A nurse knocked on the door and asked if we were okay. She wasn't sure we were laughing or crying or what was going on. Rick told her what he was telling me about OT and Speech and made us all now laugh.
She said, "Oh he's feeling better!"
We were given the list of outside rehab that specializes in strokes. Which we think is better than someone who does knee injuries and then a stroke victim.
We wanted them to have their focus on stroke victims and that is what we got. This is the same reason we would never choose a skilled nursing facility. I've been to one. You don't get much attention, the nursing is not stroke-related, and you are basically left in a chair or bed we found. That is not what he needs. He needs to move and be active to get strong. So we just skipped that whole nursing facility. We also knew someone who went to one and it was exactly as I described above.
I am sure there are some good ones, but in our experience with friends and family, we have never seen that. Even someone at the hospital made a comment and then shut down. I later asked a woman whose husband had a stroke and was in a class with me and she said, "Don't go that route, my sister did and it was horrific" \So I've been asked so many times by friends and family why we didn't go that route and that is why. Just not the right decision for us.
There is another bldg on this campus of the hospital that is outside rehab. It listed aquatics. That appealed to Rick. Some of the facilities were so far away I just didn't want to make that trip but I gave all this info to Rick and asked him. He said I am inclined to pick the place with the pool and if no pool, I'd pick the hospital near us. (less than 3 miles and oh thank you, Rick)
Now we are at a hospital called WakeMed. It's a huge campus.
He entered via the ER, then he was in the hospital Neuro ICU, then ICU, and then a regular room in the hospital.
Then he was sent to rehab which is another bldg on the WakeMed campus.
Thursday I called the case manager who gave me the list of rehab facilities.
She said aquatics could not be promised and maybe towards the end of his rehab he could use the pool. So I share this with Rick when I'm off the phone. He said I'm not making you drive up here on the chance that they will let me in the pool.
I say, there is a WakeMed rehab facility by our house. It is only a rehab facility, not a hospital but part of the WakeMed hospital and rehab we've been in. The case manager does the calling to them and sends them all his info and then they will call me to schedule. This case manager has done all insurance issues for me. I haven't had to do anything other than the short-term care that I am currently dealing with. She's been a huge asset to us!!
So I am thrilled about him picking the one just a few minutes away. Yeah for me.
We both also like the fact that it is continuing care staying at the same hospital. He just isn't living there, just visiting. And they have all his info etc.
I hope the therapists there are as good as the ones he has now. Nunzio pushes him big time but he's making him stronger. Karen is his speech and she pushes him but softer. Kelly is his OT and she is on his case about everything. She is relentless. But that too is good for him as well.
He hunches when he uses the walker and she makes him stand up straight and tells him, "Hunching makes you look like an old man."
Rick responded with, "I am an old man" She tells him he isn't. He just laughs, but he stands up straight. He listens to all 3 of them. They have been telling him that after my final class on Friday, I too am one of his therapists and I have to be listened to. He laughs and said, "That's how it's always been" Yeah, right.
But he made them laugh which makes him happy.
Deanna is what we call his Happy Nurse. She just is so up and has such an uplifting fun energy. I walked in at 8:30 this morning to them laughing in his room. I said, "Dare I ask what's going on in here?"
She said, "Oh this one just makes me laugh and I love coming to his room. Does he do this all the time.?" I told her, yes.
She said, "I married a cranky bastard and divorced him. I need to find a funny one.:
Rick said, "I'm sorry I'm already married,"
She said, "Well Rick you're too old for me and you've had a stroke."
He laughed so hard he began to choke. Then everyone gets scared.
He put up his hand and said, "I'm okay" Then he told her "That was a good response, you'll find him!"
He has his little tribe at the hospital which is nice for him. The women flirt and the men tease and joke with him.
Then my curmudgeon and I go to the dining room for his lunch.
A man with a crew cut says hello to Rick and Rick says hello back to him.
I see that this man can't move his hands and they have to feed him.
I say to Rick as we sit down, 'he seems nice."
Rick shakes his head and says, "He's a prick"
WOW, Rick, that was real nice, what the hell is that about?
So he proceeds to tell me about this man he refers to as the redneck.
I listen to his dealings with him and others and then I understand. I get why Rick didn't care for him so I was glad to see he was nice and acknowledged him but I also understand when Rick said, "I don't wish to be around him but I'll be social and say hello" Good. Please keep the filter going!
He asked me to pick 3 bowls to give to his therapists. So I did and I have thank you cards for Rick to sign and give them each with their bowl. He has a love-hate relationship with them he said. He is so tired at the end of the day and if he has one more of his therapies he just wants to lay in bed and he gets a bit cranky. He had 5 hrs of therapy today. (Thursday)
All 3 won't let him slide an inch. That's good because we want him to be able to live his life again in his workshop and his garden, which I am killing by the way. Just living is enough for me but having him stronger will make him a happier man which in turn makes life better for me.
Gee, see how I make this all about me? Bad Wife. 🤣🤣
11 comments:
Rick is clearly not the only one with a sense of humor. Calling yourself a "bad wife" is flippin' hilarious!
And I did poke around on the internet enough to find out that NC State is a land-grant university and has an Extension program. Couldn't find if they do volunteer hands on stuff, or just education, but usually those folks know about community resources. Also, are you or Rick a veteran? After one of Mom's surgeries we were loaned a hospital bed that helped out tremendously, at no charge to us, from a local veterans organization.
I know! More unsolicited ideas. Feel free to delete.
timberdawn
That sense of humor has to be good medicine.
As I said about humor, Rick has it and he'll get better quickly. The nurses I had were amazing. They helped me a great deal and that's was the reason that I improved especially the first month while I was in the hospital. Sounds like Rick has a great group there with him including you Peg. Rick is on his way to get back to normal. What remember, what is normal? Rick is just like me. One side of him is original Rick and other side of him is the new Rick after the stroke. I feel like a special person and so will he. I love it now. I'm so happy for him.
Cruisin Paul
Word to the wise: Scratch the phrase "stroke victim" out of yours and Rick's vocabulary. He's a "stroke survivor". Stoke victims are all dead. 'Survivor' is a proactive word which hints at all the hard work you've both done to make sure he didn't turn into a victim.
Timberdawn, great resource, thank you! At this juncture he has no need for a hospital bed...but one never knows.
Olga, well it doesn't hurt. 😉
Paul, yep new Rick and former Rick. I like em both.😍
Jean, excellent point thank you!
Whenever I'm in the hospital, I make it my business to make the nurses love me. I am helpful, polite, funny, whatever it takes, so that if there's ever an emergency, they won't be, "Oh, it's just that asshole... I'll get to him later." I want them to be all, "OH God, not HIM!"
bluzdude, that must be Rick's strategy as well. :-)
Everyone was coming into his room today because they are off when he goes home so they are all coming by to hug him and wish him well. I said, "I notice that this is all female" He said, "well can you blame them?" Honestly!
"Okay no problem, got a date?"
Your answer should have been, "Nope, Mike is coming to show me how to put a nose feeding tube in."
Mike, oooh good one!!! I'll save that one...I'm sure there will be another moment just like that!!
Been following you for years from Burlington Ontario. Love your writings and going ons!
Laura
Hi Laura. Welcome and thx for commenting.🫠
Post a Comment