Thursday, June 8, 2023

Thursday

My hip was out so I told Rick I was going to the chiropractors before coming to see him. He likes me there early but I just need to do a few things personally. Guilt. 

He has been off pureed foods to small chopped up food. Like the meatloaf was all cut into tiny pieces. He has an issue with weakness in the one side of his throat. To prevent choking this is necessary. He got a sandwich and soup yesterday and he said to me, "I guess I'm a big boy today and can eat real food"

When he was drinking he'd begin to choke. They feared it getting in his lungs so he got a sippy cup. He can only get a small amount at a time from it to prevent the choking. I am at the hospital/rehab now. He just left for more speech therapy. His speech sounds like a deaf drunk person.  When I said that out loud to him it made him laugh. He thanked me for the giggle cause we haven't had a lot to laugh about lately.

His appetite is still zilch. He admitted the food was better than pureed. And being off all liquid that had to be thickened until his throat was stronger, was a thrill to be gone. He called it sludge. And not thirst quenching.

I was hoping now that he had food resembling food he'd want to eat. 
I had to get permission for these watermelon pieces that I had to promise on my life that I would make smaller before feeding him.

They also put him on crestor. I don't get it. In April he had his cholesterol done...it was 132! He's never had high chlosteral. So why crestor? His A-fib is what caused the stroke, I haven't gotten an answer that makes sense to me yet.

We have regular Medicare A and B with a supplement that picks up all co-pays as well as any remaining fees not covered. We also have short term and long term care if we need for home modifications etc. Not easy getting answers from any of them. If I don't pay I'd get a faster response you know!

Rick was moved to a private room. He is thrilled. They each had their own tvs, however roommate man liked the tv on all night. It drove Rick crazy!! 
Add the fact he has sleep apnea and doesn't have his mouth piece for him to wear he is not sleeping. He needs sleep to heal his brain and body.

The first week after the stroke RIck was unable to open his mouth wide enough to get the device in and out. We had a helluva time removing it. But he is better in this area and I asked if we could try it again because he never feels rested. I know he felt that way before getting this device. Speech worked with him this morning and he got it in and out so I pray he gets good sleep tonight. No TV 'round the clock and no sleep apnea. 🤞

Rick had a bit of an asthma event in PT. I brought his Rx inhaler but they said to bring it home. I listened to them even though I did not think I should. Well after this event in PT they had to go to the pharmacy downstairs and get one. They also wanted to use a nebulizer and apparently since covid that can only be done in a private room. Well, that worked in his favor. 

I have lousy family but wonderful friends who are coming all the way from Erie PA to help so I can have my surgery and someone will be with Rick. That stress is off me. I will owe them for the rest of my life!!!
Both of us!!

I do have a sister coming in July after her surgery.
I'll take the help. 

I wear my Peggy Face all damn day. I smile when I'm crying inside. I am Rick's cheerleader and I feel it's important for him to not have added stress or think he's not doing well.  But it's exhausting.

In other news...
The Canadian fires have reached us. Yesterday it smelled like a bonfire was happening when I walked outside. It was a code red. Thankfully it rained and we are now a code orange. Not good but better.
Have you all been affected?

11 comments:

Bobi said...

Yep, mired in smoke here.
Here's a roommate story to make you laugh: when hubby had his gallbladder out, he had a roommate who had been run over by his own car. Still not sure how that happened. ;-) He had broken his neck and was in one of those head halo contraptions. Every night after visiting hours, his girlfriend would sneak back into the room, crawl in bed with him and they'd somehow get busy. Hubby was too out of it and also too nice to report it. I wasn't. Next night, they caught them, threw her out and moved halo guy to the room next to the nurse's station.
Happy to hear you have supportive friends coming! Like my mom used to say, "you can choose your friends but not your relatives," sounds like you chose wisely! Still sending healing vibes.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bobi, now that's a hoot. Rick may have enjoyed that more than the farty redneck he had. 🙂

Anonymous said...

It is so hard to keep that face on, being the cheerleader when inside you are crumbling. I'm glad that you have people coming in to lend a hand so that you can get your surgery done.

About the food, I had an experience like that with my mother toward the end of her life. She was not able to swallow food properly but she didn't like the pureed food. I knew she loved those tiny Reese's peanut butter cups so I gave her one or two, and didn't she choke on it!! She was ok in a few minutes, but that was the last verboten food she got from me. I have two sisters, and probably they kept giving illegal treats, but I chickened out.

Hang in there.
Nina

Abby said...

Moving from puree to tiny chopped-up is a step in the right direction! From my stint at the nursing home, I know all about dysphagia. Those thickened drinks are nasty.

I'm so glad you have some help coming and will have your surgery! This is your blog, so you can wear whatever face you want here.

We had Canadian fire air a few weeks ago, but it has shifted east... as you well know. Take care of yourself!

Mike said...

Not much smoke here. It's a little hazy but not very noticeable.

My cholesterol was 160 but the LDL was 130. They wanted the LDL down. The pills have the LDL down to 30.

Peg said...

Peg, I hope the chiropractor helped your hip. You've got to take care of YOU before you can expect to take care of Rick. It's wonderful that you have such good friends who will help you and Rick. You two are still in my prayers. I'm not religious, but I have lots of faith. Thanks for the updates. We care.

Ami said...

Sending you good thoughts. This all just sucks.
I wish I could help.

bluzdude said...

The last couple of days in Baltimore have been Code Red, but today it finally backed down to Code Orange. I guess it moved south.

A-fib can definitely cause a stroke. From what I was told about mine, if the atrium is fluttering, blood can pool in the chamber and eventually clot. Then if the clot moves on, BAM... Stroke. So the doctors take a-fib very seriously.

So glad you're getting help. No one should have to bear all this alone, especially since you have your own health issues to contend with.

Olga said...

Such a burden you are both carrying right now -- good thing you have strong spirits, a shared sense of humor, and each other.

Anonymous said...

Peg,
What Olga said!!!!

We (Indiana) have had the smoke off and on. I went out one day and truly thought one of my neighbors was having a bonfire.

My mom had to have the "thickened water" once during one of her many hospital stays. She wouldn't say a cuss word for anything but did tell the nurse it felt like baby shit....we all just about rolled laughing.

I am so glad your friends are rallying around and helping, thankfully you can choose your friends, stuck with family though.

Praying for both of you,
JC

Julie H said...

I hope we don't get the smoke but I'm sure it will get here eventually.

Big hugs to you girlfriend. I know that Peggy face, I've worn it often. Showers are great for crying :(