Sunday, June 11, 2023

Can you say Condo?

Sunday morning at 7am I was out in Rick's garden picking beans, snap peas, and cubanelle peppers. Every day he asks about his damn garden. So, I'm trying as best as I can to keep it up. But I just don't enjoy it the same way he does. I do not find it zen. I find it a big fat chore. I'd rather iron for God's sake. 

While in the hospital, Rick used to ask where I was when I'd arrive at 8am. He was a bit clingy at first. He'd be asking nurses, have you seen my wife yet? Now if I get there at 9a he isn't fretting and asking everyone where his wife is. He is now at a stage where it's okay if I don't spend 8-9 hrs with him. Thank goodness.

I have to be honest I am bleeding. It's the fistula that is causing this. It is gross and disgusting and I can't wait for the surgery to be over. All that I am doing and then the bleeding and the fatigue is getting to me. Running none stop has to stop.๐Ÿ˜‰ I am drained. So today after his lunch we went into the bathroom and he shaved as I watched him. He got all cleaned up for tomorrow. He said he would be ready for them to kick his ass again tomorrow. OT is there at 7:30 to get him in the shower. He showers alone but they wait outside the door to be sure he doesn't fall. Then OT begins. 
It was really nice that he got the weekend off. 
First one and boy did he ever enjoy it!

I think they will be sending him home soon. He has progressed a great deal and he is far better than most there. So I just have a feeling. Besides insurance usually only pays for 2-3 weeks. Unless I wish to pick up the remainder after my insurance or go to my other insurance. In all honesty, I think I'd prefer to use them later. I will see how this plays out for now. 

When Rick and I lost our corporate jobs one thing he'd always say is don't be late on the insurance. We have short-term and long-term care. (long term is for more like assisted living etc) So I think we will be using it for some home modifications like tub to shower. They were telling him about grab bars. Rick installed them for people every week when working. So he knows. This lady was talking like he was an imbecile who didn't know a screwdriver from a wrench. Finally, he stopped her and said, "Kelly I did this for a living. I prefer the Moen bars with the rubber grip so when your hands are wet you aren't slipping and sliding."  
So I went to Lowes and got the sizes he wanted and he insists he can do this himself. I want to call a handyman but I will let him try...maybe. 
She was trying to tell him how to install and he put his finger on his lips as if to say be quiet. Then he told her how they were done. She said, "so you do know"   I rolled my eyes because I was behind her. He saw me though. 

Today I couldn't open a bottled water and he did it for me. So his strength is coming back. 

Next Sunday is the arrival of our first friend. She will care for Rick while I'm in the hospital and then drive me to said hospital and pick me up.
I just want it to be over with. It's laparoscopy as I mentioned and I was told they will have me up and walking within an hour or so of my surgery. They want me to move. I want to move and eat something so I can poo and go home. They will not let me go home until I poop. I find that funny but I get it. They clean you out, make you not eat for the full day prior to surgery and they expect me to poop? What will I be pooping? Okay enough of that TMI.

Rick's original speech therapist in the ICU came over to rehab today to visit him. He loves her but she is the one who put the tube up his nose and down his throat to see him swallow. He HATED that tube and when he saw her he said, "Let me see your hands" She was shocked and pleasantly so she said that he was doing so much better. I told her my prediction was 6 months and he should be talking much better. They had a nice visit. She understood every word he said and told him he was doing well. That made him happy to hear. I think he needs to hear this from others more than me. He knows I'm his cheerleader so I get what he is saying. I read him all the well wishes and comments from texts and blogs. It makes him happy.

I bought Rick some cheap wicking T-shirts from Walmart and a pair of Champion sweat pants. He goes through these clothes and I keep washing and bringing him more. So I stopped and got some cheap ones because he gets food all over his shirts. That left side is still an issue. But today at lunch he turned to me and said, "There are potatoes on my face isn't there?"  
I said, "Yes."  He said with such excitement, "I can feel it." 
Then he wiped his face. So another thing that has come back. Before where his left side droops would have some water drool or food he couldn't feel it there. Now he can. He kept touching his face and smiling and saying, "I feel all this now!"  
I think those little triumphs help his attitude as well. I pinched his cheeks like my Italian Grandmother would do and he laughed and said, "I feel it and I love it!"

All in all on an upswing. He was tired after lunch so I got all his dirty clothes together and a few things to bring home.  He told me to go home, blanche those beans. Dear Lord that man and his garden. Apparently after picking all these beans, I must cut and blanche and then put them in an ice bath, then drain and put them in a food storage bag and freeze 'em. Okay Mr. Green Jeans, hurry home because I am not a gardener. I only eat the food mister!  

If ever I wish I had won an argument having a condo is the one I'd choose. 
As you all know I did not want an acre of land. I wanted a condo. No maintenance. I hope he sees that all this land is a pain in the ass and a condo is the way to go.  A gal can dream, can't she?!
__________________________

Anyone hear from Patti from @ TheNewSixty?  I think about her often and wonder how her leukemia treatments are going. 

9 comments:

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I'm so happy that Rick is making amazing progress! I don't know how they do it in the south but up here he will not be sent home until an OT goes to your house and evaluates what is needed. They even did it for me recently when I broke my ribs. Grab bars are a given, sometimes a short rail to help him get out of bed, railings by steps, get rid of throw rugs, etc. Doesn't sound like he'll need a wheelchair ramp but if he does, don't freak out. There are organizations that will come build one for you---at least up here and an OT can give your resources for that.

You've gotten this far, Peg. Start taking it a little easier on yourself. Glad you'll have help when you go to the hospital.

Olga said...

He is really making amazing progress. Hope he is doing his own damn green beans real soon!

Bobi said...

I feel your pain. We've always lived in a rural area but gardening is not my cup of tea either. You definitely deserve a 'spouse of the year' award for handling the gardening and preserving jobs along with everything else. Here's hoping you get a break soon. Still sending you both positivity and healing!

Grace said...

I am, and have been for the past 6 months, where you are and are going to be. Also my husband is a big guy (6'6", 178) and while the hospital and P/T people are wonderful with suggestions and recommendations there are some things they may miss. Through trial and error I've got a list of items (and shopping links) that will make life easier for you and your husband. If you would like the list you can email me (justtawkin at gmail.com) and I'd be happy to send it along and you can see what might work for you.

Taja said...

Go Rick! Go Margaret! Yes, you need a cheerleading squad as well! I disappeared from the interwebs for a couple of months (Limited access; technology issues. Improving, but still under reconstruction.) and several of my favourite bloggers and YouTubers experienced serious life issue. That is the polite version! :-)

The various medical professionals need to learn to actually LISTEN, don't they? While I can understand their perspective regarding many things--including the fact that many people seem to hire others to do things for them--they could ask a few simple questions to ascertain the patient's knowledge, depth of understanding and ability before launching into a series of lectures!

Seriously glad that Rick is progressing so well and is compiling a victory list! I could understand him in the video clip. ๐Ÿ‘

Fingers crossed that your procedure is straight forward and you recover quickly. I'm still catching up with some older posts, so my perspective is a bit skewed. I've sussed out the major parts, and am filling in the details.

Sending good thoughts, prayers and pixie dust to both of you. As usual, you handle everything thrown at you. You just need a break from it for a while! :-)

...Taja ๐Ÿœ️

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, it is not geographical as much as it is insurance based. They had photos of our home but no need to come to our home. We don't have throw rugs about. He needs some grab bars and possibly a walker for his own mind. He walks without it but he is still very hesitant so we thought why not. Our insurances will only allow an ADA compliant contractor to rip our the tub or build a ramp which we do not need but we have to go by their list of ADA contractors.
For me it seems everything is based around our insurances.

Olga, I don't know about amazing but he is doing well and improving daily. Some days it seems one step forward 2 steps back but they tell me it's to be expected.

Bobi, ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿงก

Grace - sent you an email.

Taja, welcome back to bloggerville. :-)
Thank you for your comment and kind words. I so appreciate them right now, you just have no idea!!

Mike said...

Are you going to have in-home PT and OT? Or are YOU going to be the PT/OT person? Good luck with getting your spouse to exercise because you are telling them to.

Julie H said...

But Condos usually have stairs right? I was just thinking TG you don't have 3 floors of stairs now!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, they have elevators. And yes there is no way he could do that many floors. He can do steps if he holds the railing for security. Our back entrance is only 3 steps so that will be helpful.