Rick has had a set back. Because they weren't giving him his gout medication he got gout in his left knee. The side of the damage.
He is in excruciating pain. Because of that his PT was cut short. He was able to bend his knee until gout. This am he said his pain was a 10 when Dr asked. It was a 6 yesterday. They just gave him oxycodon, and it worked he's asleep. His speech is the worst right now and his swallowing is not perfect so still on feeding tube. Right now they just want him out of pain. Dealing with the gout. He asked me to take him home this morning. 😪
Before gout he was going into a regular room. He is staying in the ICU until this passes.
This is more stress than I can handle right now in so many ways. But, you know that. It's not about me.
As I was leaving today he said I love you and squeezed my hand and the nurses heard and said they don't see that often and they love it. (How sad) He touched the nurses arm and said I love you too and they laughed and at that exact point his pain killer kicked in and he was out!!
14 comments:
I just read more about gout than I needed to know. I think they are going to be bugging him to lose weight.
Peg, it's also about you. Even though you didn't have the stroke, it's your husband and he's part about you. When he asked you to bring him home, it was exactly the feeling I had but I just couldn't tell Mary Lou but I could only see into her face. Keep strong Peg. You're there fro Rick also.
Cruisin Paul
I can't believe they couldn't figure out a way to get some gout medicine into him without him having to swallow pills! FFS, we used to grind up ADHD medicine and mix it in applesauce to get it into my (former) step-son, who was adept at taking the pills but spitting them out later.
Mike, 2nd day he said, helluva way to lose weight. He knows. I've only nagged him for 2 yrs.
Paul, thank you your kind words the last few posts. I'm sorry it triggered your memories of yours.
Tony, he can't swallow well and the tub in his nose that goes to his belly for food and drugs. But for whatever reason there was an issue but not now. He is getting meds for gout now.
TG they are giving him the meds now. Obviously he needs them :( Is his sister at your house?
Well, this is annoying. Naturally, I hope the gout meds kick in good and Rick can get back on track. Look at him, still cracking jokes.
I sat down in front of the computer specifically to find out how Rick is doing. Thank you for updating.
Eric has gout. It's been awhile since he had a flare up but it's AWFUL. So sorry this is happening on top of everything else Rick is having to cope with.
I know it's a tall order, but when you're home to rest, please DO rest as much as you can.
Sending you a hug.
You are stronger than you think but please take care of yourself! I've always said it's harder on the spouse than the patient no matter what kind of health problem. Seeing your loved one in less than spectacular condition is bad enough but traveling to and from the hospital, finding a parking space, etc. is stressful and trying to stay positive while your world is falling apart and taking care of random stuff like mowing the grass. It piles up quickly. So unfair, so overwhelming! Many of us have been there so we do understand. But do give yourself some grace and tend to your own health. And as much as I hate this phrase, sometimes it does help to remember that This too shall pass. Sending positivity.
I’m from the South and I genuinely, sincerely say “Bless your heart.” You must be mentally, emotionally and physically exhausted.
You have been on a roller coaster ride since Rick’s retirement and your move.
Thank you for taking the time to keep your readers up-to-date. We care.
ST-in-NM
Dear Peggy,
I have never commented on any blog and shame on me, because I love the blog community and get so much from it. I have enjoyed reading your stories for a few years now. You are funny, charming and very real and thank you for sharing your life.
I hate that you two are having a bad time right now. You are both very special people and I am sending lots of healing thoughts. Ann
Recovering from a stroke is often described as two steps forward and one step back meaning there will be set backs along the way. The gout thing is one of Rick's steps back BUT he's still here and he's still got his sense of humor...and those are huge. You can do this, Peg, you can be his cheerleader and advocate. You can be strong in front of him and do your mini break downs anywhere else. In other words, fake it until you come to realize you ARE stronger than you think you are. Bobi (above) said it best: "Many of us have been there so we do understand."
Don't worry about me. I'll help you both as much as I can. I'm still here after 40 years and Rick will be here for a long time also. You keep your strength also Peg.
Cruisin Paul
Post a Comment