Thursday, May 4, 2023

Thursday

I was asked about my hand again. Last time I'm telling it I promise.
They say it's a scaphoid lunate sprain. 
This does not feel like a sprain. These 2 ligaments (Scaphoid and lunate)
hold your wrist in place. Two of the wrist bones are far apart and they shouldn't be far apart. Wearing the cast/brace is pulling them together. This occurs typically from a fall or old folks over 80. I am not 80 and I did not fall. Then the ortho asked me about being on steroids. Why yes I was. oh goodie, something else damaging they do to one's body. I can't catch a break it seems.  The pain is like nothing I have experienced before. My left side has never had this much use. My broken ankle did not hurt like this. weird.

We sold Rick's big van on Monday. I had to sign all this paperwork. 
I did the best I could but within an hour my hand had a heartbeat and was swelling up again. now I can no longer use my fingers. I set myself back about two weeks. I know what you're thinking. sign with your left hand. Sure gave that the ole college try. I kept dropping the pen. The man here from Carmax finally said, "Can't you just do the best you can with your right hand?" It was obvious he did not give a rats ass about any kind of injury I may have, he just wanted his damn signed papers--STAT. 
I don't blame him one bit.

My dad used to tell us, kids, that the reason he was ambidextrous was that the nuns would slap his knuckles with a ruler when he used his left hand. So it was nothing for him to easily slip from one hand to the other over time. I wish I had that ability right now!

This, with all the errors took me forever.


4 comments:

Ami said...

It might be worth looking into habilitation aids (not sure what the proper term is these days, that's what they called it back when I was working in a rehab/medical equipment place). There are several options for a person who needs a little help with the grip etc Check out some durable medical equipment websites or call your local med supply place?

I am so sorry you're stuck going through all this bullshit.
And I'd LOVE to come drive you to the mall, although I don't smoke anymore. LOL

Mike said...

I found this for you...
How long does it take for a scapholunate ligament to heal?
Scapholunate Ligament Tear, Symptoms and Treatment - Ladan ...
These injuries are usually considered as ligament sprains where one or 2 parts of this 3 part ligament is injured, but there is no instability in the wrist. They respond well to a period of immobilization in plaster (4-6 weeks) followed by analgesia and hand therapy. Recovery can take up to 18 months.

Bobi said...

Lucky for you it only takes one hand to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Cheers!

Julie H said...

I like Bobi's way of thinking!