Well, we voted on Tuesday morning after our coffee.
Shouldn't voting across America be done the exact same way?
When I lived in PA, VA, WA and OH it was done the same way.
Each state had little variances but was generally the same.
Then I moved here.
Boy, the stereotypes are real.
In the past, I would walk in with my state ID (license) and my voter's registration card. Someone looks at these at the first table and asks for my info and verifies it's correct in the computer and then hands me something to go to the next person. There they look me up via my ID in these large books that I never really knew what they were. But once I was found in the book I was given a paper to fill out my ballot or in PA I was led to the voting booth. PA was the only state that had a booth, the curtain closed when you pulled the lever, and then you did your thing by pushing a lever or something I can't remember. No pen and ink like the other states is what I remember most of all. Those machines scared me at 18 when I could finally vote. I was so worried I'd push/pull the wrong thing. Funny now but it was such a big deal back in 1974.
Now here in this state they don't ask for no stinkin' ID. I had to tell her my name and address and I could vote. No license. No voter registration card. Nothing. For all she knows the name I gave wasn't mine.
Anyone could do or say that. So I could go back later in the day when the 2nd shift comes in and do it again by saying my neighbor's name and address and boom, vote again? I'm not even sure anything was ticked off showing I voted so maybe I could vote again. Nah, they aren't that stupid are they?
What the hell is wrong with these folks? I know, I know, Rhetorical.
Talk about how it should be vs how it is!
Every election the volunteers are old folks. I imagine it's due to being during a work day and who the hell else is not working? I used to love the men and women at my old polling place. They handed out cookies and donuts, coffee, water, pop, and the like. None of which I could eat but it's a pleasant mingling of red and blue and it's nice. Here everyone was cranky as hell but I wasn't surprised because that is all we see since moving here. All except the beautiful man at the end who gave me my sticker. He was so jovial. I talked to him a bit and he thanked me and I told him he made my day and to have a nice one. He was just so damn cute. Reminded me of my dad, just a different color. LOL. He had a big ole belly laugh that really went through the gymnasium. That was the good part of the voting. That and my exit poll.
I've never had to fill out an exit poll. I found it interesting and I couldn't wait to be able to write more than a choice. It was cool to me.
In other news. I saw something come across Facebook that got Rick and me talking. It was a set of these old glasses my mom had when I was a kid. It was a set of 6 and it came with a "carrying case" for lack of a better word. It was in gold and the glasses were frosted and gold. Oh, how I loved those "pretty" glasses. They were for company she would say. We used them for Sunday dinners and holidays too but never every day.
I found this online on etsy and they looked like this - These are not what I would call nice-looking glasses but when I was a kid I thought they were so pretty.
While this "carrier" wasn't exactly like ours it was exactly like Rick's.
I showed the glasses to Rick and he said, "Oh my God my mom had them too I think they were from either Green Stamps or Plaid Stamps."
And that started it all.
We each had stories of the "dream books". (catalogs)
His mom primarily collected Plaid Stamps and my mom primarily collected Green Stamps. But each mom had both.
The dream book was something we'd look at and see how many books of stamps we would need to get this toaster or glassware etc.
Most of the time after collecting these stamps grocery shopping, my mom would put away the groceries and then add these stamps to the books. Other times she collected several weeks of stamps then she'd ask me if I wanted to help her fill the books. I was thrilled to do so. Now as an adult I realize she didn't want to do this because it was tedious and she had a dumb kid who thought it was fun so let her do it for you. 😀
She would moisten a sponge and when I got sick of licking them I'd use the sponge. When I was done I would also count to see how many more it was going to take to finish this book so I could look through the catalog and see what we could get. It was a fun game for me. I think there were other places you got them I just don't recall. Gas stations maybe?
There were times mom would tell me what she was saving for and I'd look it up in the book and then I'd get so excited because I knew what we were going to get when we handed in our stamps at the Green Stamps Store. Yes, I was a weirdo kid.
How the hell do I remember this so vividly yet I walk around my house with my glasses on top of my head for hours because I can't remember where I put them.
Anyhoo, Rick shared that he was the same way as me and he too put them in the books for his mom. What two little dufuses we were that we were played and didn't even know it. Neither mom wanted to do it and they had kids dumb enough to want to do it.
Not having kids I assume that is everyone's story for many a chore.
Rick had his eye on this wagon in the catalog and each time he too would count to see how much closer he had to be to get his new wagon.
But when the time came he shouted to his Mom that the books are done and we have enough! we have enough! She asked him what the hell he was talking about, have enough for what Rick? Rick showed her the wagon. Then just like that she let the wind out of his sails and tells him no, that they were saving for a toaster since their old one broke. The next time Rick was asked if he wanted to help with the stamps he said no, thank you.
He felt he was punishing his mom. Today it makes him laugh and as we both said, "I'm sure she knew you were doing that too and was laughing on the inside."
Did your parents or grandparent collect Green Stamps or Plaid Stamps?


19 comments:
We had Green stamps - I got a guitar, my mother got mostly milk glass items - a gigantic punch bowl with little cups that hung off the edges and a huge ladle. It sat in the middle of a huge sideboard and was a catchall for small items. She also collected rose glass items. The china cabinet was chock-a-block with the stuff which we actually used. I still have the china cabinet, it was my grandmother's - she picked it up off the street - the thing must be 150 years old or older.
Grace,I think my aunt had that punch bowl on her side board too. 😀
I do not understand fully how these stamps worked but they sure brought joy.
I know my mom collected green stamps, but it’s a vague memory. It’s funny, but the grocery store we shop at when we are at our north woods cabin, is giving out stamps until the end of the year. Your completed books get you varying sizes of glass storage containers. I mentioned to the clerk one day that it’s just like green stamps and we had a good laugh. We are going up for Thanksgiving and I’ll turn my completed books in then!!
My mom collected green stamps and blue stamps, our town had redemption stores for both. So exciting!
Another local grocery had their own stamps and store all the way into the 1980s! When a friend got divorced, she gave me her stash of stamps from that store and I had a blast spending them!
About the glasses: my aunt had those exact glasses but she got them as a wedding gift. I think she still has a few but she washed them so much (by hand) that she washed all the gold off the rims. Thanks for the memories!
Karen, Can't wait to hear what you "buy" with your stamps!
Bobi, funny your Aunt had those same glasses. I love those redemption stores. I loved going with my mom and seeing all the new shiny things. I don't know why but it was more fun than a regular store to me for some reason.
It was the S & H Green stamps for my mom. Got them at Star Markets (grocery store). I do remember my mom getting some big punchbowl set.
Been in lurker mode lately. We sold our house back in May and have been living in a big assed RV since May 1st. Considering getting my own blog thingy updated & use it to document our travels. We're planning on doing this for another 4 - 5 years, or until I can't get into the bed of my truck to lock the hitch.
Brian, Good to see you again!! I recall my mom having a glass punch bowl that was gold rimmed and I wonder if she got it through green stamps.
I recall you wanting to travel in that "big ass RV" I did not know you planned to live it in though. Cool. Are you enjoying it? If you get to Raleigh you better look us up for a beer or two. :-)
All my aunts and grandparents along with my family collected the stamps, card tables and 4 chairs, toasters, car seat covers and glassware were some of the things that they got with their books.
One year maternal grandmother got all of the grandkids Christmas presents with stamp books. I still remember mine... a pink metal refrigerator and grandpa made wooden replicas of food to put in it.
My family didn't get drinking glasses we had to use those brightly colored metal glasses that left a metallic taste when you used them. I'm sure my mom got them as a premium for buying something. They were gross.
Hello Unknown. Thx for stopping by.
Those metal glasses comments made me laugh. My Uncle had those for his 5 kids to use. I thought they were so pretty and I loved all the colors. I wanted them and my sister and I asked our mom if we could get them and she used to say that we had enough glasses. Which is funny, but you're right they did make everything taste metal-y.
Yes, I know my grandmother got me some gifts from green stamps too. Hey, she spent money to get those stamps so I guess it was buying me a gift.
lol on punishing his mom! The stamps were phased out when I was little, I only have a small memory of getting them at the store. Scott is a little older so he remembers them more.
In CA you don't have to show ID either. I think it is actually illegal for them to ask. Now we all get our ballots in the mail and you can mail it in or just drop it off at the polling place. I dropped mine off and asked how to get off the mail list and they said everyone is on it because of COVID and they don't know when they'll change it.
Julie, I find NOT asking for ID all kinds of wrong!!I don't trust mailing it so I prefer to go and put it in the machine myself. Beside I don't work, why not go. It's a mile away.
My mom collected green stamps. I don't remember what she got with them though. I knda remember...towels, maybe? I was pretty young and don't even remember when she stopped collecting. Today I don't remember,next week I'll have total clarity of the whole thing. Such is life lately.
I don't recall either set of grandparents collecting stamps but I was probably too busy trying to fake an illness so my parents would take me home. Ha. It was not a lot of fun at the grandparent's house because they were really strict and not a lot of fun. Those glasses remind me of some that my mom had. It seems like that was a popular style back in the day.
Missouri is a very red state and passed a law requiring a photo ID to vote. We used to have to show some kind of proof of residency, but I had to show my driver's license to vote this time. I agree that there needs to be a requirement for proof of your ID before voting. We have to show a photo ID for medical care to avoid insurance fraud, proof of residency to get a library card, and proof of identity at the bank. To me, voting is such a valuable thing that it makes sense to prove you're who you say you are.
There used to be green stamps here and also Eagle Stamps which were even better. You could get $2.25 cash for a book of them or get $2.50 worth of merchandise. Our largest department store chain gave them as well as some gas stations and other stores. The big department store chain was bought by Macy's. The first Christmas after I got married, my mother-in-law gave me a big stack of Eagle Stamp books with instructions to take them to the department store and get good stainless flatware with them. I got Oneida flatware and still use it 57 years later. I happened to find more of the same pattern at an outlet mall about 25 years ago and got a bunch more along with lots of serving pieces. Thanks for the memories!
Hi Peg, agreed with points on ID that's for certain. I got Oneida flatware as a wedding gift first time around. I found a website that has old patterns so if you wish to replace, add, buy again you can. I did back in the 83 when I divorced and we split the silverware down the middle. I got 6 he got 6 of everything. I found the pattern and got the remaining pieces.
No ID? Just walk right in and go....no wonder there is rarely any confidence. New Mexico is considered a sophisticated place, but at least they ask for ID and then check their computers before allowing us to vote.
I remember green stamps....my MIL gave us what she had collected and we ended up with a set of tin canister set that I used for 12 years before I replaced them. I remember one of my Aunts had a set of glasses similar to the ones you pictured.
Yeah I took mine down but it just goes in a big box in the envelope! You have o sign it to prove it is you but how would anyone really know?
Due to intermittent internet and a month of exhausting, but satisfying, Critter Care to help a friend, I am waaayy behind on anything internet that isn't business! Started with your most recent post and am working backwards. 👍
While I usually don't respond to older posts, this one brought back so many memories! LOL
We had S&H Green Stamps, Orange Premium Stamps and Blue Chip Stamps. Grocery stores and gas stations were the sources.
I had the same experience as you and Rick with adhering the stamps to the book pages. The only things I recall my parents redeeming them for were a Cosco card table and four matching chairs (took forever!). A Cosco kitchen stool with steps and the seat lifted up instead of folding out. My mother was adamant about that feature. Two lamps with a nightlight in the base for the living room--my father and I broke one of the previous pair horsing around (I could be a bit of a tomboy at times, although usually more a geek and girly-girl), and we were in the doghouse for a while. The other thing was a massive--30 cups?--electric, urn style coffee maker, which they gave to the elementary school to use at PTA and other functions. They probably used some for Christmas gifts for me when I was younger. :-)
Goodness! Haven't thought of that in years!
... Taja 🏜️
Taja isn't that fun? I love that you remember all the things your family bought with them. I wonder if our step stool that did that came from green stamps? Hmm....
Thanks for stopping by!
Post a Comment