Monday, November 28, 2022

Brussel Sprouts

Over the holiday I learned that Butterball is headquartered here in Garner NC on 1 Butterball Lane.
That was interesting to learn. I wondered if when I was 20-something and called the number for help with a turkey if I was calling here. For some reason this made us chuckle.

Rick and I cleaned out his closet. This is the fattest I have ever seen my husband and I made him go through his closet of clothes. We purged a lot and held on to some. We packed up his things that don't fit and thought about donating them. Some shirts were cleaned and starched at the dry cleaners and have not been worn and are in great shape but don't fit over a belly now.

We found a man's shelter that is begging for clothes. They posted on the local FB page. We checked 'em out first and really like what we read and heard. We thought this would be good for these men starting over. 
Rick has sweaters, shirts, pants, hoodies, jeans, sport coats, etc. 
We called them and asked if they would be open Friday or Saturday for a clothes donation. They said they would be open on Friday, during normal hours. So Friday we headed out - they were closed. We saw the time on the door and we were there after their opening time so we waited a bit thinking maybe running late for the holidays. Then we called and it said they were closed. So that was that. A nice drive opposite the traffic so that was something I guess. We will try again this week.

Then we attempted to go to the Garden Bar. Big mistake. Couldn't find parking, and when we did it was so expensive Rick about blew a fuse. 
$20 for the 1st 30 minutes to park so we could go inside this plant store/bar. Knowing full well we will be there for more than 30 minutes Rick did his calculations and said No way that is ridiculous. I suggested we go do something else and come back after the holiday. Crowds, traffic, and expensive parking everywhere we went does not make for fun exploring when your hubby is complaining about all the parking fees. The 3 places we wanted to go would have cost us $50 to park collectively. I'm sorry that is ridiculous. Besides, when I found the Garden Bar originally on TV it said free parking. When I went by it when I got a hair cut there was no fee to park. I think they were just raping people because of the holiday crowds. 
I will go back and I will see. It is a plant store, wholesale. You can buy flowers by the stem ($3) and you can make your own arrangement. you can buy a pot and then a plant and plant it there with help and you've got yourself a new plant to take home. There is a bar there so you can belly up to the bar maybe while you're waiting or after you're done, who knows. But it was busy from what I could see from the street. I can't wait to go back.

Sometimes I feel like this little town/city wants to be grown up so bad that they do these things. These are NY parking prices, DC prices, not a city that is barely a city with only 400K+ people. I did find these parking fees very high.

Over the last week, we also saw Marlo Thomas on television being interviewed for St Jude's hospital. I know she is 85. Her first facelift was fabulous. But she has recently had another it appears. She now has a Michael Jackson nose that is all pinched up and odd looking with big lips and her eyes are different. I realize she won't look like Ann Marie from That Girl anymore being 85, but my goodness she looks awful. I wish she would have felt comfortable enough at this age to let it go. Only pic I could find of her newest face but you can see her nose here. But if you make it bigger you'll see what I mean. I'm so sad she felt she needed to do this in her 80s. 

Rick and I were discussing brussel sprouts. Highly titillating conversation right?
I said to Rick that I saw brussel sprouts being made like new potatoes.
If not familiar, the tiny new potatoes are parboiled, then put on a baking sheet and smashed with the bottom of a glass then seasoned with olive oil and herbs and baked. Delicious and crispy. He loves new potatoes and he loves brussel sprouts.

Well, apparently you can do the same thing with brussel sprouts.
We usually fry 'em up with bacon pieces so always looking for another way to enjoy them I begin to share all of this with Rick.
 
I tell Rick step by step about the brussel sprouts and he says - 
"What about the bakin'?"
I gave him a look like you idiot, I just told you how to bake them on a cookie sheet, the same as the potatoes.  I was staring at him to see if he was pulling my leg or really didn't understand me.

Then I tell him this all again and he says - 
I heard you but "what about the bakin'?

Now I am laughing and thinking this poor man is brain-dead. I just told him 3 times how to bake them. He too is laughing that I am so stupid and dense and can't grasp what he is saying.
 
Then he pointed to my shirt which reads, "Bacon, the gateway meat"

I laughed and said oh you are asking "what about the BACON?!"
Oh my God, Rick, I thought you were dropping the "G" sound on baking!

Oh, that made us have a hearty laugh at my expense again.
Honestly.

18 comments:

Bobi said...

I accidentally clicked past Marlo talking on tv the other day, if not for recognizing her voice, I wouldn't have known her. I always thought she was so pretty. It's a shame to see her now.

As for parking fees, it seems to be the latest way to make money. Some places will comp your parking if you spend enough money, but I think a lot of places are just seeing parking lots as the latest cash cow when they already have a captive audience. Irritating! (I don't think it's indigenous to your area.)

Cruisin Paul said...

Marlo Thomas was always a beautiful woman but I just saw her on TV for St. Jude and I was shocked. Her face is weird.
Try brussel sprouts in the oven with just a little of oil and garlic. It taste good.


Cruisin Paul

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bobi, wow this parking scam is crazy.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Paul,we roast brussel sprouts too with olive oil and s&p. We just love them all ways apparently. Glad to know I'm not the only one who noticed her face. Sad.

Julie H said...

That was crazy for parking I would have passed too.

LOL on the bakin'!

It's sad that these old ladies think they need to keep fixing their face. It's ok to be older and look it. I saw Madonna pop up on something I was reading and see what you were talking about with her. She looks a bit scary when she has no eye brows.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, yes Madonna is scary. I would have paid cuz I wanted to go. In our old life we would have paid but now I know we can't be that foolish.

Arkansas Patti said...

Goodness 400K people is a metropolis compared to tiny town Arkansas--population 2600.
That parking is ridiculous. I'd want dinner and a drink for that but then this is tiny town.
Poor Marlo, she looks in need of surgery now.
Smiling about "bakin". I caught on right before you. Bacon does make everything better:)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Patti, I think everyone caught on before me. Geez talk about dense. Yes I suppose 400k is a metropolis but to me those prices are big city prices.

Mike said...

Posting from my phone. $20 for a half an hour is bazzare. I'm guessing the lot was not full. Parking in the street and getting a ticket would be cheaper.

Linda said...

I knew what he meant right off the bat....it's so very RICK!

Hope Springs said...

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Marlo should have stopped the face work a while back. She was so lovely and I think she would look so much better if she just accepted her face as she ages. I'm sure Phil wouldn't mind...he seems a practical sort.

Abby said...

Lots of turkeys where you are? Butterball HQ!
$50 total for parking is quite outrageous.
I didn't realize Marlo is 85. You figure these celebrities go to the high priced plastic surgeons. Imagine what would happen from one I could afford! No thanks either way.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, I never saw any turkeys but apparently. I don't eat turkey so not high on my radar you know? If it had been a chocolate factory I'd be able to share all the stats!
As for plastic surgery. Oh, I now have jowls, and heavy bags under my eyes that I wish could go away because everyone asks if I'm tired. A doctor told me they could inject...that's all I heard and said Nope I am not injecting shit in my face and look weird. I'll deal with the bags under my eyes. I'm old and I'm tired so I look my age. End of story. If you find me offensive - look away! LoL

Anonymous said...

I love your description of why you choose not to have injections. Me too. I had a friend "do" her eyes when she was about 40, and it was embarrassing when she would probe for comments. She did not look any different after the surgery. Like you, there are things I wish I could control about my face as it ages (looking at you, Howdy Doody mouth lines!), but I would rather take this than get results like poor Marlo - it made me very sad when I ran across her on tv recently.
Nina

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I agree with you and all the comments about Marlo Thomas. I don't know why so many of our celebrities (women mostly) that think they have to have these surgical procedures. She looks very strange.
The parking? That's ridiculous. I would park somewhere free and walk over (if that's a possibility).

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Yvonne, that was the issue - no free parking and all street parking was either taken or for some reason blocked off. The holidays I suppose.

Barbara said...

That is sad to see Marlo with a Michael nose. She was the teenage goddess to so many of us. That Brussels sprouts recipe sounds delish. The parking charge was ridiculous but it was probably to keep the crowd away. I would not have stayed and paid either.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Barbara, I agree about Marlo. Oh how I wanted to be Ann Marie living in NYC with a boyfriend like Donald. LOL