Friday, November 18, 2022

What I've Been Up To

I read a request on our community page on Facebook asking for someone to watch their dog for 4 days. Willing to pay. Golden Retriever was all that was mentioned. All the comments were from Rover the dog watcher site and a few others that do this for a living. But I decided to try. I saw the going rate and I would ask the same and see what happens.  
I reached out to the man and we text back and forth. 
We made arrangements to meet last Sunday.

I was told the dog may growl, don't put your hands on him right away. 
Okay, now I am worried. But the point of doing this meeting is to see if we really wish to do this as well as see if Mikey and his owners were comfortable with us and vice versa.

As soon as we arrived we were met by Mikey, the golden retriever. Growl? No, but licked us to death. He was all over us both. 
We laughed and said, you said stand-offish, is this the right dog?  
Everyone laughed. 

We 4 went into the great room and talked. The dog went between me and Rick. We were sitting across the room from one another. It was funny. Mikey would sit with me and get lovin' and then look at me as if to say, "sorry it's his turn now" and would go to Rick and get belly rubs. It was funny and the owners were shocked.  
We didn't know any different so it was all great for us. 

We all agreed that we loved Mikey and Mikey was okay with us. 
We just aren't comfortable staying at their house. We asked if we could bring the dog to our house would he handle that? They thought so but they suggested giving us the key just in case he doesn't handle it well. 
They also informed us that he sleeps in their bed so will probably do that to us. A reason they thought we might wish to stay at their house. We were okay with that, we have a king bed and Izzy loved our bed when she was young enough to get up on it. We just weren't comfortable staying in their home. Besides I had planned to launder the duvet cover so now I won't and let the dog on it and then wash it when he goes home.

So there ya go. I have decided that this is how grandparents must feel.  
We have an empty nest now and we miss dog energy around here. 
But we don't wish to get another dog. So this will be our dog 'fix' and then we will return him to his owners. 
I have a feeling this will be more than one time.

They are taking this mini vacation of 4 days because the couple is having a baby who is due at the end of December and they thought this was their last chance to go away together - alone. I get that, so we all win. 
We do this in very early December.

This is Mikey posing.  He is older, a bit lazy and lays around a lot. Sounds like Rick to me. :-) Seriously this is perfect we know we aren't up for puppy energy right now.

What is really funny is they wrote us after and said they really liked us and maybe we could get together sometime. I showed the text to Rick and he laughed as well as me. We are 1/2 their age and we thought the same thing. 
_____________
I was watching a Leave It To Beaver the other morning at 3am and the episode would so not fly in today's world. Ward actually told June that he understands why Beaver would hide the fact that he was wheeling home a doll buggy so he could use those wheels for his go-cart. His friends saw him and he didn't want to be harassed for pushing a buggy so he threw it in a ditch. Then when June heard he was going to be beaten up for being a sissy, she asked Ward if he ever did anything like this. He said he too would have beat the boys to a pulp if they were sissies. OMG!  The more it went on the worse it got. They kept repeating the word, sissy. 
It upset me so I changed the channel. Who would think Leave it To Beaver would infuriate you? Well, it did me. I couldn't watch even knowing it was 1960.
______________
We saw a woman on the Today show that got a makeover. She had on a pair of pointy heels. The very point is mirror-like. They discuss her dress then down to her shoes and immediately my sick husband says, "oh when I was a kid I would have thought you could see up her dress with the toes mirror thingy" 

Rick, did you even notice the color of her dress or shoes? 

Well, the toes were mirror-like. C'mon, I was immediately taken back in time and I was 8 years old.
 
What color were the shoes?

Hell if I know but her underwear is pink.

Of course, I laughed. The damn fool. 
Men/Boys minds go there first and it never ceases to make me chuckle. Once he saw those he reverted back to grade school where he thought you could erase the bras off of the women in the Sears Catalog or put a mirror on the ground to see a girl's underwear. 
They are funny creatures, aren't they?

12 comments:

linda said...

Oh dear 🙂

Beautiful dog .

Linda

Cruisin Paul said...

Mikey is a beautiful dog. Sort of feels like when you had Izzy. I still felt that you guys should have gotten a another dog. Enjoy the time with Mikey.


Cruisin Paul

Julie H said...

Oh what fun! Yes I'm like ok the kids are ready to go home now! haha

Mike said...

Mikey likes you.

Visit me today to see our new puppy.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, you get it! I only have to walk outside in the freezing cold mornings for 3 days. Not every day. :-)

Mike - yeah new puppy!

Arkansas Patti said...

I have a good friend who dog sits (at their place) and she not only gets the frequent dog "fix" but makes more than enough for her RVing.
I think it is so cool how it was love at first sight between you and Mikey. You may have found the start of your tribe to boot.
Quite shocked at the Beaver show encouraging bullying. Yikes.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Patti, oh it's not a lot of money but I think this will be nice for us both. Then again if we do this often the money would be nice. Yes! I was shocked by the comments and when I got up I dropped the remote off my lap and it changed the station and I was angry because I wanted to rewind and record so Rick could hear this. I was shocked.But i admit I still enjoy Leave it to Beaver.

Linda d said...

I hope you have a blast with Mikey!

Men!!! Some of them (not naming names of course) NEVER grow up.

Abby said...

Great idea to dogsit! Mikey looks like a wonderful guest. Win-win all around!
Leave it to Beaver - how cringey in today's world!
I remember attending some stuffy event with my brother who was in the military at the time - everyone all dressed in formal uniforms and spit-shined shoes. They guys were joking around, placing their feet under the women's dresses and we're all laughing. I don't think that would fly today!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, I think you are correct about not flying today. We can't wait to get Mikey. :-)

Olga said...

Mikey is a beautiful dog and I'm sure he fully sensed your dog-loving energy.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga, he is a cutie isn't he?