Friday, November 11, 2022

PTSD

I don't know what I was watching, to be honest with you. 
It was about a little girl all of 11 years old, that laid over her best friend who she knew was dead during the Uvalde school shooting and she played dead to stay alive. 
The shooter then left them and went to an adjoining room and began shooting. 
She grabbed her teacher's cell phone after she was shot and killed and called 911 and told them they were in trouble there. Oh my goodness. 
Then she saw all the blood everywhere and she smeared some on her and lay next to her best friend and played dead in case he came back. 
Smart 11 yr old right? She heard footsteps and just laid as still as she could.

It was gut-wrenching and while her parents and the journalists all made a fuss about her being a hero I wondered if they were getting this young girl any counseling. Yes, at the moment she was a true hero. She was quick to see what she had to do to survive and get help. At 11 years old. Some adults wouldn't be able to handle it as well.

This young girl said she was a loner and this young friend who died was her only friend. She cried saying how wonderful her friend was. She said she knew she was dead but couldn't leave her alone and she had to hug her and then she just laid over her or by her when the person with the gun came back and she played dead. 

She is behaving like it's all fine now in front of the cameras. 
I sincerely doubt it. I'm sure she is fine at times and at times she has some difficulties. That would be normal.
I do hope to God her parents are smart enough to know she has to work through this. She has to learn how to cope when this triggers something and she doesn't know where this is coming from. This little girl needs counseling and I hope she gets it. Talk about PTSD.

I know as a child I had to suppress everything when my mom was sick or dying. Everything. No mourning over my mom, so filled with anxiety and fear. I pushed it down and pushed it down. If I didn't my father would have done it for me. Counseling was not something he would have even thought of let alone agree to. Possibly if someone he respected suggested he get his girls some grief counseling, like a priest. But no one did. And heaven knows the one time I told Dad some feelings I was told to toughen up. I was all of 12. I had been taking care of my mom and sister while she was sick. He didn't. 
It was my responsibility. By the time my mom died a few months later at age 13 I knew not to say or do anything but smile, take care of everyone, and do what was expected. That is when my "peggy face" developed. Everyone thinks I am always happy because I am smiling and appear to be jovial and happy. (I wear a Peggy face a great deal.)

I could have used the counseling because at 60 years old it all began to come up, bubbling up. I often wondered if I had had counseling to deal with it maybe it wouldn't have come up at age 60. Perhaps I would have had the tools to deal with it as well. I would love to write more about it because it helps me but as I said my husband gave my blog site out to someone so now I just can't...well, until they die. HA HA

As I watched this little girl I saw her smile when appropriate and shake her head when they tell her she was so brave. When she spoke about her best friend was when you could see the cracks. I wanted to hug this little girl and have her talk it out. Scream it out. No little girl or boy should have had to deal with that let alone be brave about it. It was war and she had no defense. She shouldn't have to smile through this. That is so something my father would demand of me in grief...Smile, be polite, and don't act depressed, you will make others feel bad. Always about others what about my sister and me? 

I hope this young girl can get past this horrific incident and be able to handle all that comes flashing back to her over the years. 
No 11-year-old should have to deal with these issues. 
Actually, no one should have to deal with these issues.

8 comments:

Cruisin Paul said...

All this tells me is that you, Peg is strong. Probably stronger then you think that you are. That young girl in Uvalde will need counseling and I hope that she gets counseling. Believe it or not, I needed counseling after my stroke because I couldn't accept the stroke. There are many different things in life that cause people problems and some never get the help. I needed it and I got it thank God but even to this day I find things so hard accepting. It's hard but you have to move on if you want to live on.


Cruisin Pul

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Paul, 'move on if you want to live on' Excellant advice Paul! This girl broke my heart. As I watch, it made me cry. Our world is horrible.

Anonymous said...

First off, I think you are a gifted writer and I look forward to your posts.

Now, what I came to say is this: you couldn’t live your truth all those years ago, but you sure as heck can today. Write what you need to write! Nobody is going to turn to a pile of dust because you do. Maybe it’s time for you to have your say and share anything.

I encourage you to find the courage to write. The strength that got you through as a girl is what makes you strong today and you have nothing to be ashamed of or to hide from. If someone is surprised or upset or even angry, that says so much more about them and their lives than it does you. There’s a reason why you feel a need to write and it’s a good and valid one.

Take your freedom and run with it, Peggy!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Anonymous, you know I can't pay you right? :-)
Boy you sound like my husband.
I was approached by someone that I should take some stories and make a book. I don't feel I write well enough but she is an author and I told her I'd try. So I gathered up some posts and she said they were all fine but why not my serious ones? Because of those in my family is why. The grief I will receive is just not worth it to me. These aren't bad but what I really want to say is and I know them it will make my life miserable.
Here are 3 posts - all one story - that I left out and they both feel should be left in. I'd love to see what you think, although I think you'd agree with them. I am still on the fence. Damn. Now I will have stereo of Rick and You in my ear. 😁https://straightupnochaser.blogspot.com/2010/08/angry-sunday-part-i.html
https://straightupnochaser.blogspot.com/2010/08/angry-sunday-part-ii.html
https://straightupnochaser.blogspot.com/2010/08/angry-sundaypart-iii.html

Anonymous said...

I hope that little girl doesn’t have to perform anymore. I wish you the feeling of freedom to do what you want and admire you figuring this all out. I’m mad that you were treated that way. Olivia

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olivia, me too.
Thk you.

Julie H said...

That poor girl, nothing anyone should have to live through. I think there have been quite a few kids that have committed suicide later after being at a school shooting. So horrible.

Barbara said...

I don't know why adults often don't get counseling for kids. It is my understanding that kids don't have all the words for feelings we have so they can't even grieve and understand what it is about. So so sad.