Thursday, November 3, 2022

Gray Hair

We have all been talking about gray hair here and on other blogs. There is a colorist who I have been following for several years on Instagram. He does beautiful work. A client can take 8 hrs to get this color but he is worth every cent.

Because in the 70s I cut hair (barber) and I did color hair for a while I find it all interesting so I tend to follow things of interest. This man is a miracle worker. I actually asked someone if they could do what he does. Their response was, "Oh you must be looking at Jack Martin's work. No one can do this but Jack Martin." I said to her, he shares what he uses and the process and holds online classes for stylists, others can do this if they want. Then she said, "well it'd be expensive"  I lived at the time in a county that was #2 in income per capita in the US per wikipedia. She charges me $70 for a pixie haircut and she's telling me it's going to be expensive? Shit, everything here is expensive.
That to me was a damn lazy answer. She didn't wish to learn or she wouldn't be talking me out of paying her a lot of money. Dumb ass.

2 years ago during Covid, he went national. He was on television and my husband said, "Hey isn't this the guy you follow?" 
Yes, indeed it is.

I think during lockdown every woman contemplated no longer coloring their hair and he was here to help you. Nothing, I repeat, nothing is uglier than a box hair color. You can spot them miles away. No dimension, just flat color. I've used them too when in a pinch over the years and always regretted it. Never again.  Just let your gray go or see this man!  You must have a minimum of 3 inches of gray I believe for him to do this properly. He will do the rest. Instead of looking like hell as I did with half my hair gray and half brown, he will transform you to the desired gray to match your roots, and then it will grow out naturally. 

Rick asked me if he was expensive. I said I don't think so but some would.
If you worked for 8 hrs and could take no other clients how much do you think it's worth? If he can do 12 cuts and a couple colors in 8 hrs how much would he make? That's how much it costs. I know that doesn't help but it can be up to 2K. That is a lot. 

In all honesty, it's not too much for his work on his feet for 8 hrs or more to me. But that's me. I recall when perms were priced at the time (2 hrs let's say) and what you'd make in that 2 hrs if not focused on one person. So you could do 5 cuts in that time at $25 each then it would be $125. So that's the cost of the perm. Now, this was how we did it in the 70s. Because a haircut at $25 is not what you want to get today or you're getting a newbie right out of school and it will show. Do they even do haircuts under $50 today?

I couldn't afford Jack's services. I ended up doing it the old-fashioned way. 
I looked like a Walmart shopper. I mean where else do you see 4 inches of white roots and the rest brown? Yep, nowhere else. I wore a hat for a long time! Thank God we were in lockdown and I had short hair. As soon as I could get a hair cut my brown was gone. Whew, no more hats!

I still toy with the idea of going back to brown but then I remember how expensive it is every 5 weeks and I will leave it gray.

Here is some of his work from an article in Allure magazine.
https://www.allure.com/story/colorist-jack-martin-gray-hair-transformation

If you are inclined to see all his work and videos they are on instagram
https://www.instagram.com/jackmartincolorist/

Now I'm in a dilemma Grow out my hair or leave it short? 
Hmm....I'm on the fence. See my stylist on the 15th. It is so long right now since I had to miss 2 hair appts. Time for a change or the hell with it?


8 comments:

Julie H said...

So far I'm letting mine go naturally but I'm just getting pieces around my face for the most part. The problem is some just grow straight out and don't lay down. So rude.

linda said...

I got my booster shot today.

Gray hair is easier so that wins.

Linda

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, I did. It was ugly but thankfully it was the beginning of covid and I couldn't go anywhere and if I did it was a mask and a baseball cap so no one could see me. LOL
yes, they do have a mind of their own don't they?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Linda, I sure hope your booster doesn't give you a big ole ball under your skin. 😁
Yes, gray hair has been easier and that is now why I have it ....and cost savings while I am now a poor person.

Abby said...

I've decided to let my hair go grey because coloring it is too expensive and then I'd have to keep going to cover the roots. OR, like you know, do the ugly box job, which is a big nope for me. BTW, my stylist charges $30 for a 30-min cut, although she could charge more.
Oddly enough, at nearly 58, most of my hair remains brown (knock on wood)... except for "downstairs". So the carpet no longer matches the drapes for whatever reason.
Enough oversharing for today.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, wow only $30? Thats great. The first place I went to when I moved I went to because it was only $55 after calling around all day. but the haircut was so bad I cried.
I started getting gray when I was in my early 30s. The carpet never matched the Drapes for me, especially when I went burgundy/purple. 🤣

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I still have highlights when I go, but am considering going without them. My hair stylist said she could help me quit them gradually and I'm considering it. She is not expensive, but it could be cheaper! Haha.

Barbara said...

OMG. Yes. I follow him on Instagram. He is incredible. If I had the money, I would fly there and just to get his cut and color.