Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Holidays

Not a fan of the holiday season as you all know who read me.
But I do admit there are two Thanksgiving movies that are 2 of my favorites, thanksgiving or not.
Home for the Holidays and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

The movie, Home For The Holidays, was directed by Jodi Foster and stars Holly Hunter, Robt. Downey Jr, Ann Bancroft, and Charles Durning. The last two are big favorites of mine and they don't disappoint me here. Have you seen this one?

I relate to this movie on so many levels. The line, 'I look around and think, who are these people, where do I even come from'  I have uttered that line since the age of 14. This movie makes me happy though. 


Then there is Planes Trains and Automobiles.
This movie is everything one goes through who travels a great deal. 
When I saw it I was flying the majority of the week, getting stranded, stuck with a fat man next to me overflowing into my seat on the plane who CLIPPED HIS TOENAILS WHILE SITTING IN HIS SEAT!  I've been stuck in cities that I had no plans on going to only to be shuttled somewhere else or renting a car - just the whole damn movie was much like my life at the time. I've made friends with those stranded with me. I've done all of this movie, except blow up my car etc.  I love John Candy is this movie. You just want to hug the guy. Well, at least I do. 

 

I had horrific travel stories as everyone does who travels all week for a living. I also had some fun ones that started out as a nightmare like this one.  It makes me smile to this day. I often wonder if that older woman is still with us or the other is still up in Baltimore. 
That was one long day which was horrible but turned out very nicely. 
And as I always say to Rick, and I did it in high heels. 

You see Rick and I both traveled and told each other our horror stories. 
One Friday evening over a glass of wine we were both home and talking about our travel week. 
When he was done I said, "okay you win, but I did all that in heels" 
So that became a thing I'd say to one-up him and it never failed to make him laugh. Rick has used it as well.  Recently when he had his knee drained with nothing to drain he was hurting. I said to him that I have never had my knee drained. He said, "when you do, wear heels, so you can tell me how bad it was in heels." 
I threw a pillow at him. Yes, we are weird, that that sentence can make us laugh so hard. Inside joke, I suppose that just doesn't translate.

I'm queuing up my holiday movies for this thanksgiving. 
What are some of your favorite Thanksgiving movies?

14 comments:

Abby said...

I've never seen Home for the Holidays, but it looks fun! Will have to find a way to stream it.
Many people say they "love to travel", but really, they love being in exotic and fresh places, the traveling piece of it often sucks. I bet you've got some unique stories - in heels!

Grace said...

We've seen "Home for the Holidays" many, many times. I don't know that there are any specific Thanksgiving movies on my list of movies I can watch over and over again but certainly there are many, many Holly Hunter movies that are on that list - if you're ever in the need for the warm fuzzies and a 3 handkerchief ending then treat yourself to "Once Around" - oh how my husband and I sniffle and sniff through that wonderful movie.

Your tagline 'but I did all that in heels' kinda puts me in mind of the quote about Ginger Rogers - "Sure he was great, but don't forget that Ginger Rogers did everything he did, ...backwards and in high heels."

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, you're exactly right and I say it all the time. I want to "there" but I don't like getting "there"

Grace, that's why I said it (the ginger thing) I will have to find that movie Once Around. Great cast it looks to me.
I love Danny Aiello as well.

Julie H said...

I ended up watching one this weekend on Netflix Holidate, it was cute

Sheila said...

I just read the one you wrote in 2018. What a trip! Hopefully she got some clean underwear. While I don't have a fear of bridges, growing up in Seattle, I saw the floating bridge closed several times during high winds because it was moving too much and waves were going over the top. What scares me more is driving/walking/camping in the wind because so often trees would topple on cars and houses. For a long time, I wouldn't live in a house that had a big tree in the yard.

Susan Kane said...

Those are two of my favorites!

Putting John Candy with Steve Martin together was brilliant.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie I saw that. The lead Aussie was gorgeous.

Sheila, as I said in the piece that bridge scared me to death. One day water was coming over and I screamed. Once I got to Seattle at a friends house I did not want to go home!
I get the tree thing!

Susan- they are perfect together.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I really hate that Christmas movies are playing on both Hallmark and Lifetime now. I've seen a lot of holiday movies but I don't think I've seen the two you like.

Olga said...

Planes, Trains and Automobiles is a particular favorite even though I didn't travel for work. I did deal with people. I don't think I ever say Home for the Holidays but I may have to try to find it somewhere.

A Whole Lotta Magic said...

I love Home for the Holidays; so funny. My favourite Christmas movie is Christmas Vacation. We watch it every year.

Arkansas Patti said...

Haven't seen either but I would love to see both of them as we need some entertainment about about now.
Clipping his toenails? Oh horrors.
And here I thought the worst thing about flying was crashing.
Love your doing it in heels and have to get Rick props for turning it on you. You two are so well matched.

RO said...

Yes, I've seen both movies, but your stories make them a 100 times more interesting now.(lol) I can't say I'm a Thanksgiving watcher because this time of year I'm seriously hardcore about all the Christmas programs on the Hallmark Channel, Lifetime and Netflix. There are 3 Christmas programs that I watch all the time,and can't seem to stop myself(lol) The cartoon The Grinch, the movie Elf and the movie Home Alone. I consider all of those classics. If you really want to laugh out loud and looking for something that's focused on family and some romance, please check out Holidate on Netflix with Emma Roberts. I've watched it twice now and every time I still laugh. Sending out healing hugs to both you and Rick. RO

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean lifetime and hallmark are two channels I don't ever watch. I could try their holiday stuff I suppose. Lifetime has such dribble of the poor gal is a victim stories all the time. Don't you find it weird that all of lifetime movies are about women as victims? Hallmark just has movies. So I will give that one a shot.

A Whole Lotta - I've never seen a Chevy Chase Vacation movie except parts. I may have to try this one.

Patti- we do need entertainment don't we?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ro - I hate Christmas so Thanksgiving movies appeal to me more I guess. I have only seen Home Alone of your list. I do not care for Wil Ferrel so I never saw Elf. I should try to stomach that one because everyone loves it. But it's Wil Ferrell....
I too watched holidate. Cute. At least not hallmark or lifetime cheesy. The Aussie was gorgeous!