Friday around 12am I awoke to a pool of sweat.
Ok, I have never had night sweats like most women my age and I thought well this might be it. The back of my hair was dripping wet.
I got up and put on some clothes and walked into the bathroom.
The floor was even warm. Hmm.....
I knew I would never get back to sleep so I walked up to the 3rd floor TV room and thought I'd watch the rest of the game.
I recorded Friday night's game because Rick wanted to watch something on Netflix and I'd watch it later.
As I got up to the 3rd floor it was so bloody hot I thought I'd pass out. WTH?
Normally as you descend each floor gets cooler and cooler.
As I rounded down to the 2nd I didn't feel a difference
By the time I got to the 1st floor, it wasn't the coldest as normal. Nope, it was a hot mess. The air was running. I checked the thermostat and it was hotter than it's setting but it was running and I figured it would cool down - this was all just me.
It's steamy summer weather, this must be me.
I poured myself some ice water and sat in Rick's ugly chair. I turned on the TV to watch some mindless television. In the meantime, the dog is panting like no tomorrow. She moves around a lot she is so miserable. She is a cold-weather dog so I know how miserable she is. She has a few moments where she gets comfortable under the fan which I have turned on to warp speed. But it never lasts long.
Rick came down about 30 minutes after me. The first thing he said is,"the A/C isn't working it's hotter than Haiti in here." Brilliant Richard.
The outside unit had ice around the tubing into the house. Rick said I think I'm going to turn the A/C off because it is doing nothing. By 1:00am Izzy was so miserable we took her outside and hosed her down. Getting wet ourselves actually felt good. We were like kids walking through the sprinkler and laughing. I didn't care if the neighbors heard us we were loopy from lack of sleep and hot and acting like kids.
Izzy came inside and laid under the ceiling fan and fell asleep for a little while.
We, humans, were not as easy to appease apparently.
When the sun was up I called JC Flood and thought this was a good time to use our service agreement. But first, let's try the home warranty and maybe we can get a new unit altogether, doubtful they try to repair far more than replace.
I called the home warranty company's referral, they thought they could get me in by Wednesday. I said thank you but no thank you. I called JC Flood and figured we'd pay out the arse for this but we'll get cool faster.
This is the same company that sent a plumber to fix the last thing.
My God my house is 20 years old now and everything is happening.
They would have a guy here the same day, Saturday. Great.
As is the case with this company they are awesome. A text was sent when he was close by, along with a picture of himself. He called us when he was outside our home to let us know he was outside our door. Everyone masked up and we answered the door. He put on booties which I so appreciated! Rick took him to the 3rd floor where our HVAC unit is along with the water tank etc.
It was frozen there too.
He came downstairs and said to turn off the fan and let the frozen thaw.
He checked the unit and said it just needed coolant. Yea! But he had none.
How does he not have any? He said he would let Leo know the amount, what you have and he will bring it by tomorrow. I asked, On Sunday? Is that extra? He says no, you have a service agreement. Okay, something good is happening for a change.
So Izzy, Rick, and I did all we could to stay cool. I closed up the house like a prison. Awnings down over the wall of windows, all blinds/drapes closed and fans blasting. Rick brought in a fan we use on the patio it mists you. We did not use the mist but the fan is great so we brought that in too. It was a very uncomfortably hot day inside and hot. Wasn't a lot of difference from outside to inside except we had no sun inside. Thank goodness.
We 3 slept on the 1st floor Saturday night. We considered a hotel but I have to admit we were chicken due to Covid. We actually have a Hilton in our development so it would be close but we thought we'd sweat it out.
We found that the sofa and ugly chair get the ceiling fan and we weren't leaving that area just as Izzy had decided.
Rick is in his ugly chair. Izzy in front of the coffee table under the fan and I was on the sofa.
We sort of slept off and on.
We continued to hose down the dog and we took showers which Rick insisted I not make mine cold. He said I'd feel worse. I couldn't feel worse, I was going to use cold, but ended up with tepid. The cold was a bit too cold. He said I'd feel worse later but I don't think I did really.
The man on Sunday, Leo, sent his photo and I showed Rick.
I said, he looks like a scary criminal. When he got here he looked nothing like that. The photo was scary and he was so cute and pleasant. I told him he needs a new photo because he is much cuter in person.
He laughed and said, "Would you repeat that to my wife?" 😂
He and Rick went upstairs and he came down and did what was needed outside to the unit and then came in and asked for $210. Done.
It took a long damn time to cool this house down.
At one point it was 85 degrees on the 1st floor so I know it had to be 90 on the 3rd and if not, close enough because it felt like 90 upstairs.
We need a new unit. Got an extra 8K you can give me.
Notice I didn't say lend. 😇
Both men from JC Flood and the oven man were given bottles of water and I offered them some cookies I made and they all took the water and cookies.
The last man, Leo, who looked like a criminal in his photo, asked Rick what he did. Rick told him he was a contractor.
The man looked at me and said, "That's why you're so nice"
I said, "I'm nice because HE is a contractor?"
He explained that I offered him water when I saw he was dripping in sweat and I was considerate enough to offer him something...so you know how awful most people are" I laughed and said, "yes I am awful except to contractors,"
He said, "That's okay with me" We all just laughed. He was correct wasn't he?!
So we are cool today inside and the hurricane will be causing us rain, winds and who knows what. We just get the remnants of this storm. I think it is hitting SC around Myrtle Beach. But the biggest info I gleaned from the weather forecast is it will bring the temperatures down to 88. I will appreciate anything at this point under 95.
But here is what I left out - Saturday after the AC man leaves the man to fix my oven arrives. I got two ignitors, one for each oven. He had the oven on and we had no A/C. After he turned off the bottom oven I asked if he had to turn on the top. He said yes, it was heating but it hadn't reached 350 yet. Rick asked him if he could just turn it off, we see it's working. He was squatting on his heels and he stood up and he was dripping in sweat this poor man. He asked if we were sure, we said yes. He said okay very quickly and turned it off.
So there we were Saturday night, no air, but we had our oven. But I was not putting anything in there unless you gave me lots and lots of money.
Thankfully that cost was only my deductible for my home warranty service.
Bottom line Rick and Peg had a lousy weekend.
But we did see a couple stand up comics on Netflix who amused us.
These are all 1st world problems I realize.
But I hate being hot as I've mentioned a million times here. Thankfully we could afford to get it fixed and appreciate these 2 nice guys who showed up on a weekend to save the day.
Now if we could just get through this week with nothing breaking down.
14 comments:
I think that's 3, you should be good!
I feel your pain! I live in Florida and have many times been without power due to hurricanes (sometimes for weeks) and that meant no AC so being hot was a way of life during those times. I did had a generator at one time BUT a crackhead stole it from my garage so I decided since it was a valuable item I never replaced it.
When my Central air had a nervous breakdown I decided to go with window units. Replacing the whole thing was more than I wanted to spend. The heating part of it works fine and we don't have to use it that much. Last winter was very mild. Hopefully, this winter will be the same way.
Why is it always when one things breaks, it seems like everything starts breaking down? Is it some kind of conspiracy? Mine usually happens right at Christmas.
I'd have gone to the Hilton without a second thought. Just wipe everything down inside and enjoy the cool.
Last month we stayed at a Hilton property in Ocean City. They were very aware and proactive regarding the virus. (So proactive that they don't come into your room to clean until you check out, so you best not make a mess.)
Julie, I sure as hell hope you are right!
Mildred - eek gads at Christmas would be even worse, although then I'd need heat.
Bludude, we so desperately want a weekend away so we may take your advice! Just a quick drive anywhere. :-)
Just another chapter for your book.
Girlfriend you need a break.
We watched jim Jeffries. I thought he was funny. There was a lot of wheezing from the other side of the couch so Boy Scout thought he was hilarious. Who did you watch?
Gadzooks, I heated up a bit just reading this. Understand your not wanting to go to a hotel due to Covid. Yikes and this was all on the weekend. Lucky you didn't have to pay OT prices.
You did get some great help and I laughed at the scary criminal that turned out to be cute. Phew.
Sure hope you are finished with ailing appliances. Enough already.
Patti, I agree, enough already! After seeing his photo I told Rick I was glad he was here because he looked too scary to open the door. Izzy isn't threatening. She would bring a murderer or robber her stuffed toy and if he pet her she'd be happy and leave him alone.
Been there with my place in Florida except I wasn't there so I didn't suffer from the heat -- only the cost of a new unit. It is essential to hire someone to check on a place in Florida when it is not occupied. There's no good time, but these days everything seems so much worse.
Yup, a motel would be a necessary expense.
I would have gone to a motel, but Romeo would not, so we probably would have suffered like you two did. Silly, I stayed at 2 hotels during my trip. One wasn't so clean (so I did a bad thing with the tip ~ I hid it :-) but the second was lovely and very clean.
I don't know if it's age (isn't it always?) but after turning 60 I am less able to handle the heat. That's why I prefer to be bored and do a treadmill workout than be outside. I can't wait for the weather to cool down so I can walk outside again.
It's - that is exactly why we didn't go to a hotel. If you get a dog you too can walk out in this heat. :-) Today she won't go outside because of the torrential hurricane rain. She's a funny diva dog!
Bless you child. I can't take heat anymore if I ever could. Buddy's walks are down to half a block. Less if he does his business faster and longer if he takes a while. I think he understands what's going on because he has been going awfully quick after we leave the house. Bless my dog too.
Barbara, I am sure Buddy knows and feels that awful heat just like we do!!
Post a Comment