My neighbor who is renting the townhome next door is an odd duck.
He thinks a lot of himself, I, however, don't feel the same.
He even struts and Rick and I find it funny.
He is single and my guess is he is in his early 50s.
Drives a Tesla and Mercedes so cars mean things to him.
Here is what I know.
He has a teenage daughter who lives in this development with her mom and that is why he moved here from MD to be near his daughter.
His entire first floor is completely void of any furniture and he has lived here for 2 or 3 months now.
His dog is what I call a velcro dog. Does not wish to be away from his owner. (like my dog) And when he goes somewhere he cries and howls the entire time he is gone. (my dog doesn't do that though)
I have to turn the tv or music loud so I don't have to listen to the poor thing. It breaks my heart. I have even offered to take the dog when he is gone for long periods of time because the howling breaks my heart - especially after 4 hrs.
It also is annoying but it mostly breaks my heart to hear him howl as if in pain.
He introduced me to his ex-girlfriend who was cute and bubbly and she sat immediately on the ground outside and just loved on Izzy.
A few days ago he told Rick he couldn't sleep because he misses his girlfriend so much. She broke up with him. He then told Rick without provocation that his girlfriend was 'so pretty he may never find another that beautiful or pretty again.
And the reason I love Rick - He told him maybe his ex found that only liking her for her looks wasn't the relationship she wanted (I about died - Mr. No Filter)
The neighbor said, "that's what she says, but c'mon I do like her isn't that enough?" Thankfully Rick let it go and just laughed.
So the guy is looking for young arm candy.
He is not much himself and that always makes me laugh when they want arm candy as if they're George Clooney. More like Woody Allen.
Short, skinny, not offensive looking just average like most of us, IT nerd who works for the gov't and has a lot of money and pays little attention to his dog. His ex-girlfriend put flowers on his patio and a bird feeder before she left him. Because we said something to him about his dog and the crying etc we felt we couldn't say anything about his bird feeder.
The birds eat at his place and shit all over ours.
You know you the saying, don't shit where you eat?'
Well, that is what is happening here. (yeah I know what that phrase really means but it works, deal with it)
Nice for the birds but not us.
The birds sit on the fence between us and poop all over our side of the fence and they get into our plants and flowers. Our fence looks like a Pollack painting of poop. Don't' get me started on my furniture.
I am not a fan of birds anyway or the mess a bird feeder makes hence why we only have a hummingbird feeder. Rick used to have a bird feeder when we first lived together and those damn birds left shit everywhere and after that, he never got one again. I felt at the time I couldn't say anything because I moved into his place. He thought he loved that feeder and the birds until the poop was everywhere. I was thrilled when he realized it all himself so I didn't have to ask to take that down.
So as we watched them poop all over our patio this weekend and dive-bomb Rick, we had to devise a plan. We found a lot of things to put on top of the fence that would stop big birds like pigeons, crows, etc but it didn't do anything for the garden variety bird. We also didn't want something so obvious that it would look awful because we share this fence and he had to look at it too.
But then we found something on Amazon called Bird B Gone.
We don't wish to hurt them, we just want them to poop elsewhere - like HIS deck/patio and see how fast that bird feeder comes down!
It looks like a container of caulk. Rick put it in his caulking gun and did as instructed in the directions.
This morning sipping our coffee on the patio we watched as a bird who didn't get told by his buddies, you can't sit there anymore, tried to get on the fence. Oh, they put their feet there but don't like the sticky feeling so they fly away quickly.
I watched them all morning try it and then fly away. I hope once word spreads amongst them they will stop pooping over here. So far so good.
And it was only $11.00. It states it will last for 6 months. Everything we had been looking at was far more expensive and we didn't even know if it would work. But so far so good here. Watching them leave this morning so quickly after sitting on the fence made me happy and I think this could be the answer. I hope so

Here is the product.
We have this white fence with a flat top on both sides of us. That flat top is a few inches wide so it allows us to put the Bird Be Gone on it. You can't even see that it is there. This is the photo they showed when I got the product. This is about the size of our fence top and this is exactly what Rick did. Easy Peasy right? It does not hurt the birds, just annoys them. I'm good with that. They annoy me so we're even. The reviews were great so we had to try it. Our biggest thing was to not hurt them, just make them go away.

A week without his birds pooping all over our patio would be lovely. This picture is sad - it's far more colorful with all the plants now. But you get the idea of it all with the fence. Fingers crossed this really will be the answer cuz it's cheap and the neighbor can't see it so he has no clue and that is good. Can't piss off the new guy. The bird side is on the right which you can't see here.
The young man on the left of this photo is from my hometown. What are the chances of that? He is 27 and in IT and he bought his house in cash. That is all I know and he's a great baker. We never ever see this kid. We met him, he brought us over baked goods and then we never saw him again. When you live on top of one another you see each other going to work and going to the garage or getting the mail at the corner mailboxes for the block. We never ever see him and couldn't pick him out of a line up. I think that makes a good neighbor. :-)

13 comments:
I need to figure out how to get the squirrels from chewing on my chainlink fence ties. The fence is starting to fall over because nothing is holding it up. (They sharpen their teeth on the ties.)
Your neigbhor needs doggie daycare and an attitude adjustment on how to pick out a life-mate.
Jean, I recommended our doggie day care place hoping he'd do that. And yes he does need an attitude adjustment - could be why he is single and divorced.
Mike - no Squirrels B Gone?
Mike, they do make a squirrel mace Rick said. never used it but he said he had a cousin who used it but we don't know how well it actually worked. Good luck. Put tabasco on it?
Great idea. I wish they had something for opossums. I just trap those little suckers and rehome them.
You know Peg, the worst is that thee pooping birds poop all over my gazebo. I watched this bird walk up my gazebo five time and poop five times. This other bird would fly back five times and bring food for this other bird. Thank goodness it rained hard and the rain washed all the poop off. I hate birds, especially big birds. Tiny birds like the humingbird are no problem. LOL Have a wonderful Wednesday my friend.
Cruisin Paul
Paul, I too do not like birds. Hummingbirds are great! pretty to watch and no mess!
Sometimes people make comments about how shallow women are. And at least in my experience, it usually is women that are that way.
But your bird-brained neighbor is one shallow dude.
Ever wish you could choose your neighbors?
Ami, men do the same thing as women I have found it's just that women are more vocal about it. I used to think it was women who were vain. Oh no! When I was a barber I saw a whole other side to men and vanity. There are so many men who are shallow, must have that car, must have that electronic equipment to one-up my buddy, must show off my new leather jacket. Just like women only different objects. Or I only know shallow men. :-)
Ooh,ooh, I have some of that Bird B Gone, just haven't used it yet. I have a 2 X 4 inch ledge between the top of my house walls and the porch roof where way too many birds roost at night. They leave such a mess an the walls and floor. Can't remember why I didn't use it but now I will. Thank you.
When you figure out something to do with squirrels please let me know! They are such a bother.
My late husband was a bird lover and kept the feeders filled. At first they were just off in a tree but then he started hanging feeders on the deck so he could enjoy watching them. He also hosed off the deck every day so i didn't complain (too much) but after he died I told the birds they might as well mourn as well and I took down all the feeders. I see plenty of birds in the tree line behind the condo and not one looks like it is starving to death.
I nod to people if I see them in the neighborhood but I actually only know a few people by name. Don doesn't even live here but he knows more about my neighbors than I do.
Olga, this morning while having my coffee on the patio a raven dived bombed the deck. Honestly this new guy is a pain in the arse.
Post a Comment