In the 80s I watched a show called Designing Women.
I loved that show.
The other night we saw an episode and while it still tickles me it showed its age, with big hair, big shoulder pads, etc. I loved each character but when Julia went off on any one of her tirades I was a happy camper. One episode she called Donald Trump. This was back in the day when he was just a man whore who lied and cheated everyone he came in contact with as opposed to a man who lied and cheated everyone he came in contact with and was President. Better known back then as THE Donald. Again as opposed to THE ASSHAT
There was a character named Bernice. The two Shugerbaker women who own the design firm. Their mother moved to Japan and asked her daughters to look after Bernice. Bernice is certifiable, to say the least.
She would sing this stupid song, Black Man, Black Man. This was done in several episodes. Rick and I would just laugh.
Then we moved to Seattle.
Our first year there we rented an apartment. We were on what was called the Plateau. Sitting on my balcony I was looking at nature and a trail that went up the rest of the mountain. I would watch young people stop and walk with their bikes. I would see joggers running and then pause before continuing on up. I never saw anyone just run up the mountain nonstop.
Then there was a man who was gorgeous to view from my balcony.
He came by daily.
He had to be over 6'5" and he was built.
He was built like a football player.
We lived near a lot of Seattle Seahawks so we thought maybe it could be a professional athlete. He would just stride up that mountain like it was nothing. He had such great posture and arms, hell great body, and he would stride up the mountain like it was nothing, as if just floating. I loved watching him.
Rick would laugh at me but he too said watching him was really something the way he would just take these long strides and be up the mountain in no time.
The man did this daily and I knew his schedule. I'd grab my morning coffee and watch him run up the mountain while sitting in my chair on the balcony.
One day I didn't watch him and I was in the bedroom getting dressed.
Rick was in the dining room and he sang, "Black Man, Black Man" and I came running around the corner so fast I tripped over the corner of the sofa but didn't fall and kept going. When I got to the sliding glass door in the dining room Rick was laughing so hard he was crying. My big man was not running, in fact, Rick made the whole thing up to see me run.
He thought he was so funny.
So you really enjoy that guy do ya?
Yes, if it was a blonde in short shorts and tank top wouldn't you? Besides, it's pretty to watch the way he glides up the mountain.
But Margaret I would never trip over anything to get to the door.
The hell you wouldn't.
No, I would act cool.
But if I was cool, and he was really there and you weren't an ass, he would have been gone by the time I got here.
True.
To this day Rick will sing that and it makes me look of course.
So the other night when nothing was on TV we rewatched an episode of Designing Women. Rick's favorite and possibly mine is when Mary Jo is given money from her uncle after his death with the directions to only use it on something you'd never buy yourself or something frivolous and have some fun.
So she decided to use it for bigger boobs.
She went to the doctor and got some different size inserts to put in her bra to try out what felt best for her. That whole episode so rings true to me and it makes me really laugh.
Did you watch this crazy show?
16 comments:
I used to watch that show back in the day. I really enjoyed the call to Trump.
Jean -I always enjoyed a good Julia rant or putting someone in their place.
Loved that show - Dixie Carter was fabulous, they all were, but she has my complete attention - Her performance of How Great Thou Art gives me goose bumps no matter how many times I hear it - https://youtu.be/3mSS9NM34-o
Grace, I imagine she is considered very good but when she sang it was when I changed the channel. Her voice annoyed me and was like cats scratching or something to me. It gave me chills but not because I loved it. BUT I know most loved her and found it comforting.
I watched this a few times, not sure how many. It wasn't a regular show of mine.
I use to really enjoy that show. Loved Julia's knee capping of Trump.
Wow, I remember that show, but didn't watch it much. I think I was in high school? College? Funny to look back at the fashion - and the HAIR! And the call to The Donald!
I vaguely remember watching that a few times when I was younger. Isn't it funny to see stuff with Trump from back in the day.
I've seen it but never watched it. The last video is probably more true than it should be.
I did not but I do remember it. It's good to see that The Donald hasn't changed at all. For the love of fat bassets, I hope he loses by a landslide in November and has to slink away to some deep, dark hole.
Love Designing Women. Those shoulder pads were something else. Anthony is one of my favorite characters. So I grew up in West Seattle and have no idea where the Plateau is?? I'm betting it's in the Seattle area, but then I'm a Seattle purist so anything outside the city limits isn't really Seattle.
Jamie, you're lucky you're too young to have watched it.😁
Patti and Julie, I thought is was perfect for our times to put the Donald video up.
Sheila, I did not live in Seattle proper but a suburb. No one would know where Issaquah was but if I say Seattle they get the gist. Just like now, I live in a suburb of DC but I say dc metro because well, it is. Either way it was a nice place to visit.😉
Mr. Shife, From your mouth to God's ear!!
What was I doing then? I never watched Designing Women, but it looks like a scream.
Post a Comment