Friday, August 14, 2020

What Kind of Plant?

Rick did a job for a woman that was outside our service area.
We had done some historic work for her when Rick first started his company. In those days he took work anywhere. Thankfully he doesn't have to drive to these far away areas anymore but when a former customer asks we always say yes.

This woman is a delight to speak with. She is happy and she laughs.
The problem I had with her is she keeps asking me things and forgetting my answers and will call me back. But she is funny and laughing and so it doesn't bother me. But I did make mention of her forgetfulness when talking to Rick before he left for the job.

He remembered her and he never remembers anyone! 
Oh, sure the women who drop their drawers claiming they forgot he was there he remembers. I think those pictures are etched in his memory. 
But otherwise, if I tell him a street he will remember the job, but not the people. This lady he remembers because she was so lively he said and smiling all the time. A happy upbeat nice person. 
How can one forget one of those unicorns?

Well, she found another clawfoot tub that needed a lot of work. 
Rick had her get it sandblasted first because it was in pretty rough shape. Thursday he was then to refinish it for her in her chosen colors.
On a side note her home is rather cool. It was an original Sears home. But it was considered a mansion in those days. By today's standards, this is just a regular home but in those days this was a home owned and built by one of the top executives of the Sears home building arm of the company. The facts about this home are so cool. The home is so well built, it's amazing. Her home is beautiful. The walls are thick concrete so easy to keep cool and she claims easy to keep warm as well. The history on the house is so interesting to me. 

When Rick arrived he went to the side door and saw some gorgeous flowers and plants. He took a photo of one of them and sent it to me with the question -
Is this a pot plant? Could this be why she is so damn happy and forgetful?
It didn't look full like a pot plant would be full but... his text made me laugh.

Boy, it sure looks like it to me but would she do this in her yard?
Then I said to Rick aren't they more clustered and full? 
Yes, it's legal in the sense you won't be arrested but not that you can grow it yet here in VA. 

I text him back and said, Maybe that is why she can't remember shit.
I told him to ask her she's a hoot, she'd answer. 
But in all honesty, I never in a million years thought he would ask her.

He had some time in between appointments so when he was done he went to get her. She was sitting on her lovely flower-filled patio. He sat down and said he was done and would she like to view it. 
She said okay but sit a spell, Rick.
So Rick did just that. She asked if he wanted some lemonade. He took some. I have to say I was shocked when he told me this but this woman is so lovely I get it, and he had the time to do so. 

Rick describes her as a beautiful woman in her 70s. Or to quote my husband, "She is a beautiful woman today in her 70s and I bet in her day she had a line of suitors"
When he said that I had to laugh....suitors? Who are you, my grandfather?

They sat on the patio and talked for a bit about retirement and how she was so busy and how the pandemic has made her come to a stop. 
She was bored and Rick offered her a job which made her laugh.
Then at some point, he asked if she was trying to make some extra cash because that plant sure looks like marijuana. Well her big laugh bellowed now. 
"Oh my God, everyone asks me that! She told Rick that her grandson whispered when he came to visit "Gramma are you growing pot outside?" 
She said that was the first person who pointed this out to her. 
No to pot, it was a Texas Hibiscus.
Rick said, "Patty I've never heard of this, or is that the name you're given this to hid it from the sheriff?"  
Oh my goodness did she laugh it up with him? They bantered about it for a bit I heard. I know how my husband loves a woman who can banter with him so he was in heaven. I may have to watch out.

I had never seen or heard of that type of hibiscus before. 
Come to find out while it does look like pot it is indeed a Texas Hibiscus which I had to google.
When Rick told me a texas hibiscus I googled it to see if she was pulling his leg.  Sure enough, it does have a leaf-like this. Too funny.

Hell, if it's pot she can share because she is so bloody happy all the time.
I told Rick if she tips you ask for the pot. He laughed and said I should huh?
Well, she did try to tip him but as is the case he won't take tips. But he sat a spell had some lemonade and a nice chat with a beautiful woman. For Rick that was a winning day and a tip. 

13 comments:

Julie H said...

Too funny!

Olga said...

I remember my brother growing potted pot plants in his bedroom when he was in high school. He sure didn't tell my mother what they really were (he probably didn't know about Texas hibiscus) but he did tell her they were a science fair project and he had her watering them on a regular basis.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga, oh my God that is a damn hoot! Did she ever learn?
If only pot had seeds these days to do that :-)

Mike said...

I just found this joke.

My neighbor just got arrested for growing weed.
I guess my property line isn't where I thought it was.

Abby said...

HA! Glad he asked or I would've been wondering!
I had an online student last year who was living in Japan at the time (we would meet at ungodly hours). She had what I swore was a poster of marijuana on the wall behind her. Came to find out it was a Japanese Maple leaf.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike, HA HA!

Abby, see I think a lot of folks would see that and wonder. Spindly but the leaves sure look like it.
Yea, I guess Japanese maple trees do have that kind of leaf.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Rick probably made her day. The pandemic has us all starving for conversation. I worked in a flower shop with 4 acres of growing space under glass. I knew what the plant was. I even had one recently I gave to my house cleaner because I couldn't keep it looking healthy and her boyfriend works for a pot grower (legal here). He'll get it back to health.

Arkansas Patti said...

I'll be darned, she is just naturally a fun lady. I looked it up and it does produce a Hibiscus flower on top of those spiky leaves. What a fun day for all of you.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean I think what you wrote could be taken either way and that made me giggle. I have obviously never seen this hibiscus before. I've seen and even had the other kind with big shiny leaves though.


Patti, I was lucky because we've been chatting for a few weeks about her sandblasting etc. Nice to find that one nice one and we just want the feeling to last. But tomorrows another day. :-)

Mr. Shife said...

A great story, Peg. My wife and I were just complaining about people being buttfaces and this made me feel a lot better. Thank you.

Ami said...

I have always thought the marijuana plant was one of the prettiest ones. It's legal to grow them here in Oregon but I wouldn't do it, someone would climb over my fence and steal it anyway.

Rick is such a nice guy.
Really. You're fortunate to have one of the good ones.

Mine's a good one, too, but lately a bit of curmudgeon seems to have joined us. LOL

Linda dev said...

A great story of a happy lady with no need to medicate to get there.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I swear you two have the best stories! I wish I lived within a 6 hour drive and I'd be up to visit....

Truly, Ami is right! Rick is one of the good ones, but Peg ~ you are a treasure beyond measure. Tell that one to Rick :-)