Thursday, August 20, 2020

Flashback Thursday

Back in 2010, I wrote about why 3 names were on my blog.
Today a blogger asked me in private if I prefer one over the other.
Nope.

So today is going to be Flashback Thursday since I am dealing with doctors and the like. I have a feeling I am going to be very depressed after meeting with the specialist so I am going to give you this post from 10 years ago to explain why the hell I have these names. I answer to all and have no damn preference.
______________________________________________

How I Got My Name

I get emails about my first name all the time.
I was asked yesterday why I have 3 names up there why not just pick one?
Well, it appears that some prefer one over the other and I’m crazy enough not to care which one you use.

So here’s the rest of the story…..

It was not planned trust me.
Back in the Stone Age when I was born my parents being the ever good Italian Catholic parents wanted to have me baptized. However, their church said, “Oh no you can’t have her baptized as Peggy.” My parents asked why and they were told that there was no Saint Peggy. (their church changed this rule a year later)

My mother loved the name, Peggy. She loved it from a book she read and loved the character.  They knew that the nickname for Margaret was Peggy Meg, Maggie etc so they had to name me Margaret so that I could be baptized. Now if you hear my full name in Italian boy I can’t deny my heritage. (starting with Margherita) But you put Peggy in front of it and you think there may be a chance that something else snuck in there.

If you ever meet another old person named Peggy (and they are all old because only women of a certain age have that name) most are named Margaret.
I hated that name Margaret all through my childhood. When I went to Catechism classes the nuns would only call me Margaret. It reminded me of “dumb ole Margaret” on Dennis the Menace. (I know, most of you are too young to know that reference too) But trust me I hated the name Margaret as a child. And so did my Mom. So everyone called me Peggy.

Then in my senior year of high school I met my future ex-husband. He said that Peggy didn’t suit me so he asked if he could call me Margaret.
Sure! Just call me was my thought!

When my youngest sister was 3 or 4 years old she asked me why he always called me that funny name. I told her it was my real name. She looked so confused and said, “NO, your name is Peggy.” The more I said that it wasn’t my name the more she got upset and then she began to cry. I was only 20-21 at the time but I figured out that this was upsetting and confusing to this poor little thing so I told her that he just liked to call me that. I told her it was in the same way that Daddy called her Jenner instead of Jennifer.  Wisely she said, “But that name doesn’t sound like Peggy.” Oh brother this wasn’t going to be easy to explain.

Then as I went away to school and met others outside of high school and family it seemed more people didn’t care for Peggy. They would always find out my name was really Margaret or ask if it was really Margaret. Then immediately they would ask if they could call me Margaret. I kept thinking what does Peggy look like if I don't look like a Peggy? This was so weird to me. But by now I was used to it so I would say sure. Some people have a strong opinion on it and it would throw me for a loop. It became where all my newer friends called me Margaret but family and school friends knew me as Peggy.

At my last job, my former boss would only call me Peg. I would make jokes to her about it like that sounds like a wooden leg, but she still insisted on calling me Peg. She would have my business cards sent to me and they would say Peg. When I was hired she had my email set up prior to me starting and it was Peg. So then everyone there called me Peg (wooden leg) and I got very used to that too. But there were a couple of people who I worked with that would ask me, “Is Margaret your real name?” And then next they would ask to call me that because they thought it suited me better. I always find that interesting. I have never thought when meeting someone that their name didn’t fit them.

Odd isn’t it?
Hello. Your name is Bob? Gee, I don’t think that fits you may I call you Theodore?

What the hell? Did you ever think that? I know how names will take on someone you know. I know that when a friend wanted to name her new baby daughter a particular name I cringed because I knew someone with that name and she was a horrible little backstabbing troll. So that name to me always represented the troll. Thankfully her husband knew that woman too and that name was nixed. Whew!

The very first night I met Rick he asked if I had a nickname. I told him my nickname was Peggy. So of course he asked what my name was.  Margaret.
He said I think that suits you much better may I call you Margaret?
Again who the hell are these people that do this? I laughed and said okay you can call me Margaret. What I was really hoping is to see him again so he could call me anything.

Another odd thing is how both really significant men in my life always have called me Margaret.
Yet both always will introduce me to others as Peggy.

Last night I asked Rick if he remembered that conversation about my name. He said he did. I don’t recall him ever telling me why exactly it didn’t fit me. So I asked now.

He looked at me so seriously and said, “really? Peggy sounds like a kid don’t you think? You walked into that restaurant to meet me and you carried yourself like a classy strong confident woman. After talking to you for just a minute I thought that Margaret suited a classy strong woman better than a kid's name.”

Okay, I laughed and said, “I’ll sleep with you, you don’t have to suck up anymore.”

So that is how I have come to have 3 names up there on the top of the blog.
Everyone likes to call me something different. 
I answer to them all. If you feel comfortable with Peg then call me Peg and so on.
I have been asked if I have a preference. I don’t really. I think it sounds incredibly odd to hear Rick call me Peggy. Very strange. Think about it, if your significant other just started calling you a different name – weird right?

And over time some family members have gone to Margaret too and I find it cute. No mention of it they just did.

So apparently when I was young I was Peggy and now as an old broad, I’m Margaret.
Either way, I am a feisty old broad who will answer to most anything. All the things that bothered me when I was a kid or just a young adult about the various forms of my name don't bother me one bit now. Call me anything, just call me.

But here’s a tidbit I’ve never shared about names.
Both my husbands had the same first name!
Yep, that’s right I can’t scream out the wrong name in the heat of passion.

21 comments:

Jamie Ghione said...

I grew up with at least two girls named Peggy and as far as I know that is each of their real names. Tina is often a nickname for Christina, but I knew a girl or two actually named Tina. My former coworker Betty is actually named Betty and my cousin's mother-in-law is actually named Judy. Other names often thought of only being diminutives.

Mildred Ratched said...

Okay, but what's your middle name? I may want to call you by that? Since I don't have a middle name, I gave myself the middlename Ovaltine. So, you have 3 names people call you, but which do you really prefer? Which is you? I think marrying two guys with the same first name was a smooth move, but that heat of passion thing I can't say I remember since it's been a very long time. I think I need a refresher course on that. Does it go...Oh God! Oh GOD!...Okay, calm down Mildred before you have a stroke, but I think I vaguely remember that heat of passion thing you speak of.

Abby said...

Thanks for clearing that up! I figured Peggy was a nickname for Margaret, and Peg was short for Peggy (obviously) but wondered which one you go by in your real life. All of them!
I worked with a woman who went by both Gina and Bernice. WTH? How are those two even related??
My brothers are Dave and Rob to everyone in the world except our family. They are David and Robert. Even their wives call them Dave and Rob, but when the three of us communicate it's "who are Dave and Rob?"
I shall call you Peg... unless I change my mind.
Hope all goes well with the specialist.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jamie, do you know that for certain? If Peggy is their name then they were born after 1960 and they were not Catholic.
I don't know anyone named Judy that could possibly have another name. :-)


Mildred, my middle name is Ann. I don't care what you call me, I don't have a preference. I honestly think of myself as Peggy but the other 2 are fine too.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, Okay I'll be Peg and to be truthful I sign everything Peg in emails etc. It's easy-breezy, you know like me - HA!
As stated above if you just met me I'd tell you my name is Peggy. That is the weird part. I always say my name is Peggy and when people ask if my real name is Margaret and when I say yes they tell me that's better. 1. As if I asked. and 2. okay call me that but isn't it odd that one says that to someone to begin with?

Linda said...

Funny how people compose a whole story in their heads when given the options.

I like all three but I feel like peggy suits you as far as I know you. Margaret is more formal and kind of stand offish. You are very accessible, welcoming and, well, scrappy. The name Peggy, to me, says "can do", part of the group, able to hold your own in any situation. That's so you.

See, I created a whole damn story out of nothing.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Linda, I love it! I introduce myself as Peggy so it works!!

JanF said...

Several Margarets I have known have called themselves Marge. These are older ladies, over 80. I do not like that, of course there is also Marge Simpson! Another Margaret ( back in college) went by Meg.
My husband had the most unfortunate experience at his baptism. His parents planned to give him just one name- John. Same name as his father and his maternal grandfather. The Catholic priest asked what was the name of the other grandfather and said that his name should be the middle name. Oh dear. It is Pius.
What an albatross that has been!

Arkansas Patti said...

Hey, any man who thinks of me as a "classy strong confident woman" could call me anything he wants. I have had several good friends with the name Margaret who wanted to be called that. I tend to think of you as Peggy--she has an impish, fun quality about her. Never met a Peg so no preconceived opinion. Thanks for the clarification.
Hope today brings some answers.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

JanF - wow that is so like a priest from my experience. The fact that they just went along with it is what gets me. My parents would have done the same. I, however, would not go along with that if I didn't want it. I am a rebel. :-)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Patti, I did get great news! I hope to speak to your friend because I think she will like what I have to tell her.
As for this name, I like your reasoning. I am tickled by everyone's "theory" to which name and why I belong there. This has been fun for me.

Mike said...

So your social security name is Margaret Ann. My social security name is Robert Michael. Up until 65, I was always Mike at the doctor's office. Then I went on SS and they all started calling me Robert. You think your doctors know you. They don't.

All my legal items are under the name R. Michael. Except SS and Medicare. I keep talking about legally changing my name to R. Michael. Just a first initial. That will really screw with all the programmers that don't know how to handle a middle name.

BTW. Tell people to never call their kid by their middle name.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike, yes all my legal paperwork is Margaret Ann. I never thought about how many people have their middle named used daily and then have this issue. Yikes. Could be worse. My father doesn't have a middle name but legally he was Georgia because the doctors couldn't understand his mother who just landed in the US and when she said in her Italian accent George it sounded to all like Georgia. Why he never changed it is beyond me.

Susan Kane said...

Lots of my generation were either Peggy, Peg, Meg, Maggie. The rest are Betty, Patty, Mary Jane, Jane Ann, or whatever. I am Susan, and there are a bunch of us floating around.

Meg said...

My name is Margaret. I was always so disappointed that my family had not come Up with a cuter more casual name, so when I was about 12 I insisted on being called Margie, which lasted until I went to college. In college it was back to Margaret which always seemed a little formal to me. -So later in life when I divorced and moved to a new city I decided I needed a new name for a new life and became Meg. - Much shorter, easier to spell and not so old fashioned. Meg has stuck and now,even I, am startled when someone uses the name on my drivers license.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Susan, names like ours mean we are a woman of a certain age. :-)



Meg, I always like that name, Meg, as well. Great choice!
It also reminds me of Meg Ryan who is also a Margaret. I think this has been interesting to hear everyone's names and how and why etc. I agree Margaret is more formal and is old fashion. Although I have been seeing a lot of babies with old fashioned names of late like Helen. not a fan.

Mildred Ratched said...

Peggy,
Dealing with doctors is never an easy task. I hope you were wrong about being depressed after having seen the specialist. I hope whatever news you got was favorable and that you come back to us as sassy and upbeat as you always are. If that isn't the case, please know, you have so many people here who love and care about you and who will help you shoulder any burden you may have because that's what friends do.
As always,
Karen

Brian said...

Going completely against the grain, I have aunts with the names Peggy (her given name) and Margaret (goes by Mardi). They are sisters even, both born before 1960, raised Catholic. Grandparents must have found an easy going priest back there in the late 40's early 50's in the farmlands between Niagara Falls & Rochester.

Honestly, I dunno what to call you. Leaning towards Margaret because Rick uses it, but it sounds so formal. How about MPP?

Also glad you got good news from the doctor. Great way to wind up the week!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Brian, call me whatever you like. As I said I introduce myself as Peggy. The majority of people call me Peggy or Peg sometimes. I know the year after I was baptized the church changed the rule. My mom was livid! My cousin was named Betsy and she didn't have to be Elizabeth. Oh mom was not a happy camper. I heard about this many times as a kid. So maybe your aunts are younger than me and that is why. Who a nicer priest and church. :-)

It's.a.crazy.world said...

How interesting! I didn't realize that only certain names would be available to your Mom when you went for baptism. I actually don't know where or why Mom named me Yvonne. You certainly don't hear it often, although I've met many more per capita here in New Mexico than in Texas. I've been called Avon, Yolanda, Yvette, Vonne.....but Yvonne doesn't really lend itself to shortening. So when I went through that stage of desiring a cute nickname, none was forthcoming, haha. I truly dislike my middle name of Carol....

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Yvonne, Lucky you it can't be shortened. It's a lovely name! By 1957 or 1958 the Catholic church said you can name your child anything basically. Then my middle name had to be a saints name. Now I believe you can name them fruits and vegetables and no one cares. Sort of like no meat on Friday to now everything goes. I am not Catholic and this is reason #10,890. The fact that someone could tell you what you can name your own child is such bullocks to me. Come on. I realize that I am not a fan of organized religion so that may play into my thinking. But if any other group told you what to name your child I think you'd be annoyed. So why the "church" could is beyond me. I know my mom went along with it because of my father. He lived and died by what the pope said. A man, just a man, in very expensive clothing, tells him what to do with his life, who to marry, what to name your kid. I will never understand people who blindly follow such rhetoric. But that's how I got here. :-)