Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Dad

My father being the ever good Catholic passed away during holy week.
He left us late yesterday afternoon.
The fact that it is holy week did not get lost on his daughters.
My nephew first made this observation.
We of course laughed and said, boy that is perfect for George.
You see my father was a devout Catholic. His 5 daughters are not.
Or as I called it, Crazy Catholic. If the pope told him to put on his Nikes and drink the Kool-Aid he would have done so.

My father watched EWTN before dementia. ALL. THE. TIME.
When he visited me I told him we didn't get that channel.
Yes, I am going to hell for that. But honestly, Rick and I just couldn't have that channel on a loop.

Because it is holy week in the Catholic church he can't have his funeral and mass this week.
So Wednesday I am heading up north again. 
The viewing is Thursday and the funeral is Friday.
Making it impossible for Rick to attend but we are working on that!

I know to some it may sound awful but I am glad dad is no longer suffering.
Besides, I know he is with his partner in crime, his brother and best friend, Angelo. Those 2 were not often apart. They spoke almost daily and spent every weekend together. Many days after work dad would swing by Uncle Angelo's house before coming home. They had such a connection.

Here are a few photos of my Dad.


Growing up Dad was never without a cigar.
If I smell a cigar today I think of him.
I recall when my youngest sister Jen was born. I would pick her up from her cradle and her little head would smell like a fat stogie. We would whine, "Daaad."  When we told him she smelled like his cigar he would just laugh. 
I'd love to know the year here, but he's already got a stogie and I believe he is in his 20's here and not yet married.

Dad and me here. Me and my bald head. Dad was 28 when I was born so you can do the math. I don't think I'm a year here. 
But hey, he is holding me without a cigar here. 
This is how I will remember him. Chubby and with a cigar at my Uncle Ange's home. Dad was thin, heavy, thin again. But to me, he will always be this guy below. Smiling, chubby and with a cigar in his mouth. 
That is the man who raised me. This is the man who cheated when he played cards, checkers, and jacks with me. He gave me my work ethic. This is the man who made me be gregarious and speak to everyone when entering a room. (oh brother! and an eye roll is what I said for 18 yrs) This is also the man who said a woman's profession is either a nun or a married woman with children. This is a man whose ideas were so outdated and he had nothing but daughters who challenged his thinking every second of every day! This is the man who at any holiday would be so excited when all his girls were in one place, his home. 


This is Easter at my Uncle Angelo's again. Yes, if he didn't have a cigar it was a bottle of bourbon. Only my father would take a photo like this. I'm the dork in the blue headband and I just turned 9 by this point.

Another photo, another cigar. That bowling shirt would have made the TV character Charlie from Two and a Half Men very proud! 
(I'm guessing I'm all of 11 or maybe12 here since mom was alive in the photo)

 This photo of Dad and his brother Angelo is how they were all the time. 
Dad bursting in song and Ange just laughing at him. Uncle Ange is the older brother as you can tell by Dad, the baby's, behavior. He was the youngest of 9.

 This is my fathers first truck after getting his master plumbers license. He started his own business and had his own business for many years. 
Commercial and Industrial plumbing. He looks so young here, but again he is holding a cigar in his left hand.

 Dad at his 80th birthday party with my youngest sister Jennifer.

 This was dad last February (2018) on his 90th birthday.


R.I.P Dad. 1928-2019 💓💗

33 comments:

flask said...

i am sorry for your loss and grateful for your remembrances.

safe travels to you and easy passage to your family during this time.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Thank you flask❤

Cruisin Paul said...

My condolences Peg. Thank you for all the photos of your wonderful dad. I lost my dad in 2000 and to this day, I miss him a great deal. I will say a prayer for this caring man. That last photo of him, he still looked fantastic at 90. See ya my friend.

Cruisin Paul

Anonymous said...

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too), thank you for sharing the photos and wonderful commentary. Your family reminds me of the kind of people I grew up with. And, no, I don't think you're awful for being glad that your father isn't suffering any longer. I bet he and his brother are having one heck of a reunion. Comfort and strength to you and your family during this time of loss.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Thank you Paul. He did look good until 2 weeks before his death. He always looked younger than he was. He said it was the bourbon. :-)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Regina, did you grow up with a bunch of loud Italian Americans? :-) Thanks Regina.

Brian said...

So sorry for your loss Peg. It IS a rather mixed blessing, but at least the confusion & memory issues are over. I'm sure ol' George is up there, enjoying a cigar and a glass of bourbon right now.

Olga said...

I am sorry for your loss. I'm sure there is one heck of a good reunion going on though -- bourbon, cigars, and lots of singing.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

What a wonderful tribute you wrote here. I love the photos you put together to share. Italian brothers seem to have a closer bond than most brothers. My dad and his older brother were like your dad and uncle. May your dad rest in peace and may the tears you shed in the coming weeks be mixed with great memories and an appreciation for having the dad you did.

Susan Kane said...

Such a love letter post to your father! Wonderful. The photos are awesome. Having a hard copy to hold in your hands is precious.

God bless you, Peg. Memories of your dad will pop up in your head for the rest of your life. Oh, you in your blue headband are what I wore then, too. We must be the same age.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Brian, I am certain you are correct.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga, thank you and yes, there is a good ole reunion goin' on.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, Thank you! I loved my Uncle Angelo almost as much as my Dad. And when the 2 of them were together it was a lot of laughter. His kids are like my siblings and it was a nice way to grow up.




Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Susan, thanks! We probably are the same age I'm 63 going on 35. :-)

April said...

Prayers for you and your family.

My dad was like that with his brothers - get them in a room together and someone was going to get hurt. Sad they both have passed. My dad and his sister are the only ones left.

Loved the tribute to him. Is that your (hate saying real mom) mom in the pictures?


Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

April, yes real mom. :-) She was 44 when she died.
Didn't they look old back then? Even when Dad was in his 20's and 30's they look so much older than they were.

bluzdude said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your Dad sounds like quite a character.

Mike said...

5 daughters? It's a wonder he lived as long as he did. But then Catholics are indoctrinated to handle situations like that, aren't they? Glad your dad is in a better place.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Your dad sounds like my dad, the good Catholic, his 5 kids and wife not so much. We made a point of checking to see if the church had lightening rods installed before we walked in. Safe travels next week. helen

Barbara said...

I understand what you mean. We don't want them to suffer and he has had a long slow slide. It will be a strange new world with both of your mom and dad dead. Luckily you have your second mom who you are very close to. My mother was the last to pass and there are still times I think "I've got to call Mom and tell her ...". I hope Rick is able to go with you.

Ami said...

Thank you so much for sharing your dad with us. Your love for him was in every word. ((hugs)) to you.

Linda said...

Lovely to walk through memory lane with you. I love the picture of the 4 of you on the couch #5. Makes me smile.

What a character! Bet he has the best cigar ever right now.

My heart goes out to you today. The circle of life is a tough one....I am wishing you happy memories and sweet comfort.

Abby said...

Aw, nice tribute to your dad, Peg. He sounds like a great guy.
And no, I don't think it's awful that you're glad his suffering is over. I felt the same when each of my parents passed. I've had friends say, after an old suffering parent dies, "Oh, I miss him/her so much. I wish s/he was still here", and I'm thinking, "Wow, I don't. That's not a life" But of course, you will miss him.
Thanks for the photos. It's nice to know a little about the man who raised you.

Arkansas Patti said...

Peggy,
So sorry for your loss but so glad you have so many fun memories of him. He certainly was a handsome young man and that 80 year old would have caught many an eye.
Happy he is no longer suffering and may he and Angelo have a great reunion.

Anonymous said...

Margaret, no, I did not grow up in an Italian family. My experience was Polish. Our neighborhood was a fantastic mix of Irish, Italian, Polish, and Russian. I believe I had the best of all worlds. A gregarious, loving, Polish family plus the most wonderful meld of mixed nationalities. I could walk anywhere as a kid and knew I was safe - so many eyes were ensuring we kids were okay. I was fortunate enough to eat all sorts of delish foods and even to prepare them later on in life. We also had a mix of different religions w/ their special churches. During religious holidays, we would visit these churches. It was a phenomenal way to grow up and taught me a lot. I miss that warmth and conviviality.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Regina, this sounds like my childhood. If you grew up where I did we used to joke your name ended in a vowel or ski/sky.
So I ate homemade pierogi's and understood the polish ladies who would yell at us in polish as well as the Italians in my family. It was a nice way to grow up enjoying everyone's differences but yet all the same. It makes for an open mind and doesn't make you fear those that are different from you. it was always about family, food, and fun. At times we didn't have much but I was rich in many many ways.

jono said...

Those are terrific memories! It is so good to have those photos.
An odd coincidence now. An old Jewish friend died a few hours before your father. He was the same age and also during the week before Passover. I will miss him, too.

BethB from Indiana said...

I'm so sorry about your dad. I loved reading about your memories of him, and the laughter you all shared when you wrote his obituary. Laughter and tears go together at times like these. They pictures you showed today are a loving remembrance of your father.

My mother died 10 years ago Tuesday. I still think of her everyday. My sisters and I are always saying, "Remember when Mother..., What did Mother do about..., How did Mother...?"

You will have wonderful memories for years to come.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I love those photos.....I'm sorry for your loss. The memories and love will last forever though. Hugs...

Pippa said...

Peg, I am so sorry for your loss. I haven't read your posts yet, somehow I missed this for the past couple of days. It's always hard to lose a parent, no matter your age. Cherish your memories.

alessandra said...

I'm sorry four your loss Peggy, I loved reading about your Dad, and seeing photos of your family. Hugs!

Julie H said...

Hugs to you! I know what you mean on being glad he passed on, I felt that way after my father in law had his stroke. Love the pictures and the memories :)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, thanks. I'm glad you get it. Some folks don't. I don't wish to live to 91 and be in bad shape like he was. fingers crossed. :-)