Sitting at a desk in the hotel overlooking the bay.
It is a slightly overcast day and cool (cold)
It's cold to me, but in reality to those who live here on Lake Erie it would be considered cool I think.
The bay is choppy and I have been seeing all the fishermen out this morning.
I had breakfast in my room and just sat and stared at the water.
For some reason I can't normally sit for a long time. I am always moving.
But staring at the water can make me just sit here for hours.
I wish I could bring the lake home.
I had such issues sleeping last night. I was dog ass tired. You'd think that would be enough. This long drive north gets to me, it really does. This type of stuff never used to bother me. I assume it is age that makes a 6 hour drive so exhausting. Add the fact that I was up every hour before I "got up" could also have been the reason why.
I saw my family yesterday and all the siblings. Ah, dysfunction at it's best.
Some need to "prove" something. Some think they are helping and some are just so miserable they want to make everyone else the same.
I read Mike's comment to breathe and I heard him in my head all day.
My husband told me the same thing. So I breathe. Today and tomorrow will be the biggest test.
I find funerals to be a big waste of money. I assume it brings a lot of people closure as well as breaks the bank. Why else would people do all this hoopla?
I am shocked of the B.S. I have heard and seen. The "rules" of the funeral parlor are. They seem to control everything like the obit. They put in the paper and the family pays them like $300 a day. C'mon if you sent it to the paper yourself it wouldn't cost that. But apparently only the funeral home can place them. Hmm..
Of course all rules benefit the funeral home, not the people paying them. One of the funniest is how they told my mom they no longer drive you in their limousines. You know you've seen or been part of those prosessions. They said the families like to drive themselves. No, what is really happening is you, the funeral parlor doesn't wish to pay for the limousines, the insurance, the liability etc. Don't say the family would rather drive themselves. But my mother bought that hook line and sinker. Then they said talking out the other side of their mouth that the family can not drive themselves in case they are too emotional. So you no longer drive the family, but they can't drive themselves, so we have to get others to drive us. And who has the right to say this all to you? If someone wanted to drive themselves they aren't "allowed"? All so weird.
This business seems to be a bit of a racket don't you think?
My mother keeps saying this was so sudden. WHAT? He has been seriously ill and deteriorating for a year. It wasn't sudden. I didn't point that out each time she said this but I kept thinking, what I am missing here? I think she may need to tell herself this for some type of self preservation, of which I can understand.
I can't wrap my head around that statement she has said so many times since he has passed. She wouldn't even sleep in the same bed because she couldn't stand the thought of him dying while lying next to her. So does one do that and then think it's sudden? It's a confusing thing I heard yesterday again but did not want to ask her to explain because I just felt she needed to believe that and who am I to say otherwise. Everyone grieves differently. I know I don't grieve the way my family does. Mine is internal. I am not good with this externally. They are all external. Neither is right or wrong, they are just how one deals with it.
When I was 13 and attending my moms funeral I recall the feelings that I had to keep inside because it was expected of me to handle this a certain way.
That is how I am feeling today.
It all has only cemented my wish to not have any of this stuff.
Rick and I have written this all legally down for us to protect us from having to do this in the same way. The song "my way" comes to mind.
My friend Gordon's memorial is next weekend up here.
He did it my way. His ashes were sprinkled by his family on the lake.
They rented a boat and went out to an area they all loved and did their thing with music. I heard that is was beautiful and peaceful
The memorial is actually a party that he wanted. His music choices and loved ones with stories of his life. Except for the location it's held at and their catering no one else made money off his death. Because I am here this week and I was here a couple weeks ago I can't come back up here for Gordons. I am sad about that.
But the expense of it all (hotels!) and the drives I just can't do it. I called his family and his best friend to tell them. They kept telling me that Gordy would understand. And that my cards and letters made him laugh especially the dirty ones that I should not feel badly.Yes, I sent him dirty cards. But I knew those would make him laugh and the one card just said, "Oh for fucks sake"
That was all it said. Apparently he laughed so hard he began to cough and the nurse and family members ran to his room. He just handed them the card. I knew he would laugh and that is why I sent it. Not everyone would find that card funny. But he had said to me at a luncheon we had that he knows people mean well but the sad and depressing cancer cards were not something he loved seeing. I understood and made a note not to send those types of cards. So I sent funny ones and left little messages to him. Everyone handles this differently.
I can say after yesterday I can see that now more than ever.
I guess I'm more Gordy than my family.
Happy Thursday!
18 comments:
The reason why papers only accept Obituaries from funeral homes makes perfect sense. Too many angry people and pranksters were sending in fake obituaries. Families don't need to accept what the funeral home writes up. I didn't, told them I'd write it and I gave it to them to place.
Your mom's saying "it was so sudden" is hard to explain. I guess you just have to accept that to her, that's her Truth. Sudden compared to how long they were together? Sudden how long the actually dying process is when Hospice says "It's time"? Or sudden because she really hadn't accepted it was going to happen at all? People do hold on to unreasonable hope near the end.
Continue to breathe and know that you have lots of people in cyber space and else where sending you healing thoughts.
Jean, never thought about the prank obits. that makes sense. we wrote one and they changed it. I was surprised.
As for mom, I wish I understood, sometimes it seems it might all be part of how they deal I suppose.
"...wouldn't even sleep in the same bed..."
That's sad for your dad.
I'm with you regarding cutting the funeral home outta my funeral. I'm all for just having a party... take pictures with the urn like it's the Stanley Cup. Make a couple of toasts, then drinks all around.
Mike, oh I so agree!!
bluzdude, yes! a celebration of your life. agreed!!
Hugs to you Margaret. I cannot imagine everything you are dealing with and going through! Sending you prayers for deep breathes and strength!!! HUGS
I think funerals are a generational thing. My grandmother had prepaid funeral arrangements. Bless her little organized sole. She told me she wanted to be buried in a pretty nightgown and coverlet. That had to be something from her generation. I wouldn't want to be roaming Heaven in my nightgown. But that's what she wanted and that's what she got - a lovely new negligee set. I think your mother's comment of suddenly refers to the comparison of all the years they spent together compared to the one year of decline. Just hang tight. You'll make it through this and then probably be able to have your own personal cry.
When someone you love dies, there is plenty of pain to go around. And there are as many ways to handle it as there are people who are hurting.
I agree with you, funerals are a racket. I told my family many years ago to have me cremated and have told them the rest of my wishes. I think that makes it easier on the people left behind.
I am sorry for all the craziness, it seems that a death in the family always brings out some of the most bizarre stuff in people.
Please take time to rest and care for YOU.
((hugs))
Sorry you're having to go through this. But Saturday you'll be on your way home, back where you belong.
Oy, the funeral stories I could tell.
I do think there is a need for some form of ritual around life transitions, but it's terrible that industries have taken these over for profit. Meaning is lost.
I had a gathering of my friends and family when Mike died -- pizza, birthday cake (he didn't quite make it to his 70th but he had wanted a party), and lots of shared stories that made us cry/laugh. I planned it and my brother and sister made it happen. It was a day that brought me comfort and support.
Breathe Peg, it's all done. Your friend Gordon knew what it was all about. A party with food & music. That's what I want it to be at my funeral. Now of this saddness and tears. I want smiles and I want people to say, Paul was a hell of a guy. Well at least one of them. See ya my friend and rest and give me a smile today.
Cruisin Paul
It is hard enough to make it through a funeral but worse when the family members don't agree. Your friend had the best idea in my opinion. Small, intimate with smiles and shared stories.
Funerals are horrifically expensive. I hope you are recovering OK.
Thinking of you today/tonight (slight time difference).
Sending you a virtual hug and glass of wine with something chocolaty that you are allowed to eat.
Annster - thanks!!
Barbara, exactly and exactly what I did. :-)
Ami and Pippa, thank you!
Olga - that is exactly what I would do as well. It's a form of closure but happier and giving less to the funeral industry.
Paul, big((hugs))
Patti, it is ideal to me.
Jade, thanks I think I will have that choc and wine now. :-)
I've told my whole family they are not to go broke burying me in the ground. I want to be cremated and I told them where to spread me around. I don't want them keeping my ashes on a mantle or something.
My in laws lived in poverty but saved money for their burial how sad is that? Also last minute like we were told to pick up my mother in law for the funeral (that whole thing was a cluster fuck). Poor dear was sitting out on a bench in the front of the house waiting for a ride to bury her husband.
Julie, Oh I understand about living in poverty to pay for a burial. OH, how sad she was waiting for a ride to buy her husband. My goodness. It costs something to cremate you. If you have a viewing before the funeral that costs. Rick's mom had a viewing and because she wanted to be cremated we had to pick a wooden box because they burn them in the box. How weird it that? Then they decorated the wood box to not look like one for the viewing. It was so expensive all of this. We could have bought a new home. I don't get it.
My husband and son's father passed away a little over two months ago, and he had been sick and getting progressively worse over the years. He was 60 years old. He was cremated with a service. Even though my son has not previously wanted to discuss my death, he now understands that he'll be in charge of having me cremated, and my will leaves everything to him. I told him the same thing - that there's no need to throw money away on a casket for me and this big service. Spread me over a bookstore that's near his house, then use the rest of the money for a trip or new car. I hope not having a service will minimize his sadness in some way. I hope that you continue to heal too. Hugs...RO
Post a Comment