Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Vermont Bound

As I have shared here from time to time and most recently after my ex-husband died how much I love his family.
We have kept in touch for the past 35 years since my divorce in 1983. 

His brother Steve, lives an 1.5 hrs south from me so we get together annually and meet for dinner or they have come to our home for an evening. 
Of course, his mom and I talk quarterly or more for the past 35 years.
My ex's youngest brother, Chris, was 10 years younger so I never spent as much time with him. Oh, he loved to tease me something fierce. When I was 17 and going to their house after school they had a cat named Snoopy. I am petrified of cats, so of course, Chris would torment me to make me cry. In our 20's we saw less of him due to the age difference.

Chris was a dorky looking kid who turned into a model. My goodness is he handsome. Tall, broad, blonde with chiseled features. Even Rick said, boy the photos I've seen of him were goofy looking, he sure is handsome now. That made me giggle.

Now that 10 years age difference doesn't seem that big of a deal.
I met his wife when I lived in my hometown. They were just engaged. We connected right away. Gina was with Betty and they came to visit me one sunny afternoon. I liked her immediately. When Betty told me she wrote a book I went to Amazon and bought it. Ooh I didn't like it so I said nothing to anyone about the book until recently. I mentioned to Gina that I read her book and she said, "I'm sorry I will refund you the money, that book was horrific" 

I got an email from Gina recently thanking me for the card and things sent after Doc died. She kept saying his real name but it's hard for me to hear that name before the words, he died. His name is Rick. So it's weird to me. I prefer to call him by his nickname when talking to them. Or do as Betty does, she says, My Rick and Your Rick. That makes me smile, she's so cute.

Anyhoo, Gina wrote and asked if I would come for a visit.All would love to see me. I know this is odd to you but all of them talk about you all the time, even when Doc was alive. They love you and miss you, please consider it, and bring Your Rick. We would love it if you could make the trip."

I talked it over with my Rick and he said I would regret not going. He also said while he would love to go to Vermont in fall he thinks it best that I go alone. He thinks they will feel uncomfortable talking about Doc with me openly if he is there. Maybe he's right. Betty and Steve have spent a lot of time with My Rick so there is no issue there but perhaps he is right about this one.

So I am going to make this trip alone. I think I am going to drive. They were asking about pictures of this and that. I can't take all those photos on a plane. I think it would be about a 7- 8 hr trip. (southern VT) Drive up Friday leave Sunday.

Gina has been emailing and texting me like crazy. She wanted to surprise Betty but should one surprise an 80 something? 
I think she should tell her.
I'll leave it to her though, she knows best at this point.

So in about 6 weeks I'll be heading north for a very interesting weekend.
I'm a bit nervous. I haven't seen some of these folks since I was 27-31.
Can I get a facelift and lose 20lbs in 6 weeks? 

11 comments:

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

After all this time, everyone could use a facelift and lose twenty pounds, so you'll fit right in.

My opinion on surprising Betty, I wouldn't do it BUT not for the reason you named. Knowing you're coming would give her something to look forward to and plan for and at her age you don't get enough of that in your life.

BootsandBraids said...

That last line about the facelift and 20 pounds gave me the giggles, because I can relate. Though the younger crowd I'm meeting up with this weekend see what I look like every time they log onto face book, I'm suddenly giving myself facials.

Olga said...

Well, I think it is great that you have maintained a relationship with people who were (and sort of remain) family. I hope you will be in VT for the autumn show.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, I wrote this before today. Last evening they called and I told Gina I really think we should tell Betty. We both decided we would closer to the time. Just in case something happens and I can't go or the weather and I can't make the drive. All of that. So we are going to tell her but closer to the date. It is the 2nd weekend in October.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Boots - I'm glad you are still going. I still think even if there just long enough to see everyone and exit you will be glad you did. And hey, black don't crack so I am certain your face looks better than mine does. My girlfriend tells me that all the time because her skin is to die for. Smooth as can be and like milk chocolate. She and I laugh about this all the damn time. But she's gorgeous and well I didn't get that gene.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga, I hope it is awash in beautiful color too. It's the 2nd week of October so keeping my fingers crossed.

Cruisin Paul said...

Enjoy your trip Peggy. It sounds like a great visit and not worry about the way that you will look, you'll look great. See ya.

Cruisin Paul

Annsterw said...

Enjoy your visit! They love you for you not your looks!!! What fun!

Julie H said...

I bet you'll have a great time!

Linda d said...

I am so glad you are going. We fall in love with people along the years but sometimes things get complicated and uncomfortable or just inconvenient. I believe we are rarely sorry when we reconnect with old loved ones. It often reminds us of why we loved in the first place or just cements that love in a new and different way.

I hope that everyone, especially Betty, has an heartwarming good time. And that Doc, or their Rick, is remembered for all that was good about him.

Cannot wait to hear the details.

flask said...

where you gonna be? i may or may not have recommendations. you know how to find me.