Thursday, August 2, 2018

Thursday's Odds and Ends.

You know the old saying, the blind leading the blind?
Well, I have a new one that occurred today.
'The Deaf leading the Deaf.'

My neighbor across the street is in her mid or late 70's.
She wears a hearing aid but she still has a lot of issues.
She texts me and asked if I could listen to a voicemail she received.
I laughed when I read this. If Rick were home, he'd be hysterical.

So I walked over to her home knowing this was a welcome diversion from sitting in my office. She gave me her phone and I listened and told her what it said she had to do. It was her bank regarding her security deposit box.

But boy that made me giggle.
I told her Rick will never believe I helped someone actually hear something.
___________________
In other goofy news of things I did.
Rick snores. Rick snores something terrible and that's a fact.
I will generally put my hand slowly on his back and it will just stop him.
I do not normally snore, or so Rick tells me.
Who can hear anything over him though? :-)

Anyway, I was sleeping and apparently, Rick was lying there wide awake.
I  turned over and made a snorting sound and then my hand went to Rick's back as though I was trying to stop him from snoring. That made him crack up.
Actually, that is pretty funny.
So, of course, this morning he is convinced it has been me snoring all along.
Yes, in your dreams buddy. You make the bed and the room vibrate as if a train is coming through.  So not likely it is always me,  but it is pretty damn funny that I did that.
_______________
Our jalapeno's and cherry bomb peppers have been great this year.
Everything else is drowning from a month straight of rain. I pulled all my petunias because they were killed by that month of heavy rain. We had a nice crop of tomatoes but not as great as years past.  It's thundering as I type this right now. I am officially done with this rain. I prefer it over snow and cold. But months straight of anything are horrible.

Last night I made hot pepper jelly with the jalapenos.
I LOVE hot pepper jelly over cream cheese with crackers. Yummo.
I love heat so this is right up my alley.

This was my first time attempting to make it though.
Boy, it was easy. No canning stuff. Just chop, put ingredients in a pot, boil, stir and ladle into jars. Easy peasy. But did it work? It is solid as jam/jelly is. But I have not opened it yet. I'm dying to though. I was surprised that the recipe had other assorted colors of peppers in it. I used orange, red and yellow along with the jalapenos. (yes seeds and all, I like hot)

I wore thin rubber gloves to rough chop all the hot peppers. Last time I chopped up this many hot peppers even after washing my hands it sent me through the roof when I touched my eye. WOWSA. So I got the latex gloves Rick uses at work and I put those on.
Seems silly but it worked!!

It looks like it's done correctly. I'll let you know after I eat some.
I have quite a few so I am going to give some away. I wish it could be frozen. But I would think this would be gross once frozen. Anyone ever do that?







18 comments:

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I could you a hearing neigbhor to listen to some of my phone messages. You could hire yourself out, believe me.

My husband was a snorer but didn't believe it until I used a tape recorder to record him. I'm thinking now I need to try it on myself. Someone's snoring is waking me up and I know it isn't the dog's.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, oh that's a hoot! (the snoring)

Mike said...

My mother in law wears a hearing aid that doesn't do much good. If you say anything to her the first word she says is "WHAT?"

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Mike: That's the same kind of hearing aid I have! LOL

Cruisin Paul said...

Wow, hot pepper jelly with the jalapenos. Sounds cool to me. It's a jelly but you wouldn't put it on toast would you? May Lou tells me that I snore. I've never heard myself. See ya Peg.

Cruisin Paul

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh silly Paul, this is put over cream cheese and then you "dip" or take some with a cracker. Must be a regional thing.
I don't think you'd make a Peanut butter and hot pepper jelly sandwich, although I bet I'd love that too. :-)
I just love heat.

Olga said...

That is funny -- phone message transcription could become a thing.

I am kind of a bland person. My ice cream pick is always vanilla. I do not like hot and spicy . . . at least while eating.

Brian said...

That jelly might work ok on a burger, like a hot relish.

I've dried Habanero peppers in my smoker, then chopped them up real quick in a food processor. I'm not allowed to do that in the house anymore. The habanero dust was apparently a little rough on some of the more genteel members of the household. (Awesome in chili though!)

Julie H said...

YUM! How funny I just read 2 canning pepper blog posts in a row.

Scott snores REALLY loud. I snore too and wake myself up sometimes. My friend snores so loud she makes the walls rattle.

RO said...

Uh...if you've been reading my blog you already know I love, love, love spicy food, so please send your perfect pepper jelly to NC asap!(lol) Don't get me started on the snoring thing. I know your neighbors just adore you and your hubby! Hugs and Happy Friday! RO

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Brian, I have never had it on anything other than cream cheese as an appetizer. But boy that habanero in chili sounded great. We are trying to think what to do with these cherry bombs. I have a ton of these very very hot little round red peppers. I love hot in my chili too so we thought maybe freeze 'em but that isn't it. We'll figure it out.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie - she snores so loud the walls rattle? Wow. A girl? That's a hoot.

Ro - send me your address I'll send you a jar. I had some last night. OOOOh it's good!! seriously my email is on the blog - just hit me with it.

Linda d said...

My man wears a CPap thank goodness. I am DEAF and his snoring still keeps me up. Aside from the unyeildiness of something strapped to your face...he sleeps better with it on.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Linda, we have talked about that apparatus on you while you sleep. Rick had a sleep study done a while back. He couldn't sleep because of the things stuck to his face so he felt it wasn't really accurate. But hey, if it helps your man sleep better and helps you not hear the snoring I'm all for it. :-)

Barbara said...

After I woke myself up snoring, I had to admit I did have a problem. However, I know that all that noise was not coming from me

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Barbara, that is funny. Must be the dog.

Julie H said...

When we shared a hotel room I was like GOOD GOD now I know why her husband sleeps downstairs.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie I don't know who you are referring to but apparently, she has a snoring problem. :-)