Friday, August 3, 2018

My Big Guy

Remember a few years ago when Rick had to have his heart stopped and started again? Back when he was gray from lack of oxygen?
Oh, I am not fond of remembering any of that time.

As you may recall they got it back into rhythm and he's been fine ever since.
God, sometimes I think that took more out of me than him.
He was so calm about it all and I just keep screaming inside, THEY ARE STOPPING YOUR HEART.
Outwardly I was putting on my Peggy face and being calm and supportive.
Inside I was vomiting.

Shortly after all that fun that Rick refers to as his Nap and Zap, his cardiologist no long took our insurance. Rick hasn't seen another cardio doctor since.
But the cardiologist is back on our insurance and Rick was there today.
It's been 2.5 years since he has seen him.
The doctor was thrilled about his overall health with the exception of his weight.
Ah, it's always our weight damn it. Unless you are a stick they are not happy.

Apparently, Rick's EKG was textbook perfect. So much so that he was told his heart was that of a younger person. The points on the EKG he said tend to dull or be less pointy as one ages. Ricks were that of a much young man. Yeah!

Rick told him he still has heart palpitations from time to time.
I tell him his heart flutters because he's near me, but he isn't buying it.
According to the doc, this isn't a big deal since it only happens a couple times a year. If it becomes bothersome or more frequent he has a medication he will then just double up on.

His blood pressure was 126/80 and his chloesteral is 178. So all in all the old fart is doing well. He told Rick to lose some weight. But he kept saying, "you're really fit except for this belly" Then he pressed on Rick's belly and said I think you just have some fat here but all this physical labor has done well for you.
 Rick told me he kept telling him he looked so healthy and well.
As if he were surprised.

Since Rick wants to retire that isn't what he wanted to hear. :-)
I know he hates working as do I. But I also know it has helped him a great deal. The more he moves the better he feels, he just doesn't want to move anymore.

So he got a clean bill of health from both of his doctors in the last 3 months so he will probably eat carbs and drink tonight like below.

But he wants to be doing this - Laying around in any way is always his favorite. 

16 comments:

Mike said...

Retire? With what money? I figured you guys would be working into your 90's. :) Of course if you sell your house and move to St. Louis and buy a house you'll have 3 or 4 million left over to retire on.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

Very handsome ~ double bonus that he's very healthy!
Yeah, I don't focus on retirement. I just watch my retirement accounts and sigh......

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike - you are correct!

It's - I have no retirement accounts. Poor pitiful me. :-(

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

It's always a great feeling when a doctor delivers good news. Don't let him backslide with what's working for him.

Cruisin Paul said...

Wow, that had to scary. Happy t see that he's doing well and you also Peg. See ya.

Cruisin Paul

bluzdude said...

Geez, what's the point of retiring if you don't get to lay around, eat like a king and drink the Good Stuff?

Olga said...

The numbers all sound good. I lost a little weight after I retired -- time to exercise, less stress, and time to cook the healthy stuff. I hope we all stay healthy for a good long time. (the odds are against staying healthy forever0

RO said...

Wow! Not only is your hubby healthy and handsome, but he has a wonderful sense of humor. I love hearing about your romance! Hugs...RO

Pippa said...

A cautionary tale, not to be a downer. I took my brother to the ER in January because I knew he was having a heart attack. Trouble breathing, chest pain, severe pain in his neck and back, pain in his left arm. His EKG was fine. Not a heart attack said ER Dr. I said nope. Dr said well we'll wait on lab work to confirm not a heart attack and then prescribed him TWO doses of fentanyl for pain. Fentanyl! I said and was ignored. Lab came back, he's having a heart attack. Really, I said to ER Dr. Right now? Yes, according to lab results. Both my brother and myself repeatedly had to tell them he was e cardiac patient at that very hospital. They sent him up for angioplasty and he had two heart attacks during procedure and died. I was devastated. Still am. So please, never go by EKG when you've had previous heart problems. Insist on chemical stress test and/or ultrasound of heart. A good cardiologist would do this automatically, especially if it's been a while since last test. I'm glad Rick is feeling good but just wanted to pass this information along. The more you know... Seriously, this is meant vin goodwill, not to get you down or worried. I really enjoy your blog and want you both to live long enough to enjoy your retirement!

Pippa said...

P.s. You can retire to Costa Rica and lay on the bye all day and have a lovely condo by the beach for probably 1/4 of what you're super in VA. 😁😉😏

Pippa said...

Sigh. Lay on the beach, not bye. Sorry.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Pippa, he had a lung infection, which resulted in a-fib. once they zapped it back he has no issues. none before or after so no heart problems or attacks, but thank you.
Never will we move to Costa Rica. Too many friends have and it was horrible for them all. so that has been checked off our list 😀

Pippa said...

Well, damn. There goes MY retirement plan!!😟

Abby said...

Well, glad the guy's doing so well - a while after the "Nap and Zap" even! Them's good numbers, tell the doc to lay off about the belly.

Julie H said...

Scott and I have gained all our weight we lost back. I can't lie, I prefer the deflated balloon belly on my guy lol. He did get too skinny though when he got sick and that look was NOT good on him.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, it sucks how fast it comes back. Too bad it doesn't go away as quickly.