Thursday, July 19, 2018

Household Chores.

I asked Rick to do me two favors while I was away and before I got home.
After 31 years you'd think he would just know this but as we've said before they need it spelled out.

I asked that I not have to come home and see hairballs the size of tumbleweed rolling across my floor now that Izzy is blowing her coat. 
Number 2 - please have the island cleared off. Even if just reasonably cleared off, I can live with that. I want to be able to see the island and not a pile of his stuff. This is something I ask of him each time I go away so he should get this by now. So far it's never been done. I just hate opening the door and see the hurricane that occured while I was gone and yet the first responders didn't pick up a thing. I don't think I should have to pick up after him when I return. He feels the same about his garage. Heaven forbid I put something in the wrong place or move things around. It is the same thing really. He gets it, but he pretends he doesn't and he turns on the charm. 

Sounds easy enough to me.
Hairballs - I vacuum 2x a day while she is blowing her coat. 
It has begun to slow down but it's still not great. 
I HATE seeing hair all over the floor or anywhere but the floor especially. 
An example of this was the day before I left I vacuumed in the morning around 8:00am. 
At 3:00pm I went downstairs to have a cup of coffee. 
Izzy was asleep in her bed.
I thought I would enjoy my coffee and sit in Rick's chair while it was quiet. I was wearing my headset so if someone called I could easily answer and then go upstairs to my office. 
I sat down with my coffee and I saw hair all over the floor in clumps under the kitchen island stools. It was just this morning that I vacuumed!
So instead of sitting I did it all again and went back to work.
You can imagine what I was thinking I'd come home to after 5 1/2 days.

Island - I have an 8ft kitchen island. It can be cleared of everything except a fruit bowl or flowers or some such item like that but you can see the rest of the island. Until Rick comes home.
Rick walks in and there is shit strewn about and you can't even tell what color my countertop is after 5 minutes of him walking in the door. How can he do that in less than 5 minutes and make my island invisible? 

Sunday night on the phone he tells me he's done the laundry. 
I giggled. He said what is so funny about that? I should not have laughed.
I said, "nothing at all, thank you for doing it, babe." 
(remember we had a deal I would do laundry for the rest of his life if he did it while we lived in that haunted house and I wouldn't venture into that scary basement so this was not expected)

But I knew he didn't really DO the laundry. He washed and dried a couple of things and then threw them in the laundry basket I was assuming. 
But gee, maybe I'm being too rough on the Big Guy. He did attempt to do laundry and that was considerate and nice of him. 

When I walked into the house after a week away the floor was clear of hair.  I was so happy. 
The island was pretty good. He even had flowers on the island for me.
I thanked him. He even washed the floor. I hugged & kissed him and was thrilled that he did both. So there is hope after 31 years.

The laundry - oh the laundry.
He set the items he folded into a laundry basket and put it by my bed on the floor. So if I were getting into bed I would fall over it.
There were towels folded in that basked that go into the linen closet just a few feet away. I had to laugh. This is Rick's version of doing the laundry.

Last night as I was doing some more laundry and I was folding his things and putting them away. He was in the bedroom as I am putting away his socks in his drawer. 
I say to him, "this is how one does laundry."  As I dramatically open the drawer and put his socks in it.  He laughs.

He replied, "I washed and dried them and I folded them too. 

"C'mon Rick, but did you put them away?"

"Well no. But I don't know where your clothes go."

Now I am laughing because he is trying so hard not to laugh.

I said, "you don't know where my clothes go? a drawer perhaps? you couldn't open a drawer? And what do you mean you don't know where my clothes are, you fetched me a pair of socks the other day when I yelled from the bathroom."

"Oh yea," he says. He is smirking.

"And the towels you folded, you don't know where those go? Where do you get them?"

"Well damn it, I just hate it when I see your point. Just don't go away again without me and it will all be fine."

Oh, I see this is punishment.  I think this week when I do laundry I just HAVE to leave the basket by his side of the bed with his stuff in it and see what happens. 
Wanna bet he moves it to my side of the bed?

Let the games begin.

18 comments:

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Margaret, Margaret, Margaret. Life goes by too quickly to sweat the annoying little things like that. Be happy he's still in your life to leave folded clothes on your bed. Great advice, I know, and I wish I could take it myself when I am ranting and raving about something that isn't quite to my liking. We humans really are snowflakes, aren't we. LOL

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, this is what we do. I know I will miss his mess when he's gone. But we have a playful thing about it all at our house, you can relax. He knows it as do I.

Olga said...

I asked my husband Mike to vacuum while I had to be away once. His response, "but I don't know where you keep the vacuum." (in a closet that he used every single day because his office supplies were stored there as well) but I could not complain because he did all his own laundry, washed dishes, and was extremely tidy.

My new male interest is over the top obsessive about nothing but food and food preparation items touch the kitchen surfaces but he leaves news paper and mail scattered elsewhere throughout the house and I am just not used to that. I am not sure, at my age, I will be able to adapt. His place is clean, but a feng shui disaster.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga, that is funny but I am not surprised he didn't see that vacuum every time he opened that door. Rick cooks and cleans toilets and shares chores however my promise to him was I would do laundry for the rest of his life if he went into that basement when we lived in a haunted house. He has only done laundry twice since I made that promise in 1990. And while he'll do all of that, it has to get pretty bad before he'll vacuum. He doesn't see the things I see and doesn't care when he does see them. I know he does it all for me.

Cruisin Paul said...

Congratulations Rick. You're a good man. For me, Mary Lou is happy that I'm the chef of the home and if I just try to keep things clean around my chair she'll be happy.I do try to help around the home. See ya Peggy.

Cruisin Paul

Abby said...

Wait... I'm still flummoxed at "He even washed the floor". I don't think my husband realizes that floors get washed.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Paul - :-)

Abby - you're a hoot - Yep he even washed the floor. And wanna know what's funny about that? He says, "Then Izzy and I went to the pond and when we got back I noticed those wet footprints you talk about and I must have had some mud on my shoes. It had only been clean for what felt like a minute I felt like you 'cause I was thinking, I JUST WASHED THE FLOOR. He made me howl!

Toni said...

We need to get Rick and The Guy together. When I leave for any extended period of time, the house is immaculate when I return. (Mostly) Counters totally cleared, floors swept and mopped. Table completely cleared, even bathrooms cleared.

BUT, when I am home, and get up in the morning; OMG! End table on his side, two cups (one two-thirds full of water, the other one third full of juice), one empty strawberry bar wrapper and stick, newspaper, photography magazines, mail, 'stuff from work he will read someday' spread on coffee table, floor and end table. Can't find the remote control, cable is off but TV is still on, yesterday's dirty socks on the floor.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Toni, that end table is like what rick does to the island.
Funny he doesn't let it be that way for your return but as long as you are there he does it. Gosh their funny!

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Guys are weird. You'll never figure out what goes on inside their heads. LOL

Mike said...

"I vacuum 2x a day while she is blowing her coat."

Not even a slight chance of me doing that. He knew when you were coming home. Vacuum 5 minutes before that.

Did you say fold socks? Do WHAT? Here's the trick. Go out and buy all new socks of the same brand and a few different colors. Throw away ALL your old socks. Throw all the new socks in the sock drawer. Pick out two of the same color. Tell people not to buy you any socks.

jade said...

Why don't you try and put his folded laundry in the garage? next to the bed is still no fun for you... and he probably doesn't mind at all (will just give him an excuse to get into bed on your side!).

Will not start about the cleaning here though: I'm like Rick, I get somewhere and counters (and floors and seats and...) are just full with my stuff all of a sudden (drives my mother nuts!)

Hope you won't have to go away for so long anymore. You are one very brave woman, but you do have a very nice man too. Enjoy your time together, you sure deserve it.

Julie H said...

I retired from doing everyone's laundry so now it just lives wherever it landed. It's awesome.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike oh I had no delusions that it wasn't done until before I walked in. That is just fine with me. I just asked to not come home to tumbleweeds of hairballs. He could do it whenever I wasn't here. :-)

Jude - ha ha ha the garage. that may be funny.

Julie - really the kids do their own laundry...or don't do their laundry? Good for you!!
I only do it because I promised. Otherwise it would be both our jobs.

Chris H said...

Peggy, I read on Julie's blog (Mom Taxi Julie) that you didn't get notifications of comments via email anymore. I had the same problem. A blogger friend found the 'fix'... I am going to show you the link she sent me to fix it.

FROM LYNDA: I only found this by googling and am so annoyed that Blogger changed the settings without telling anyone! Here is the link.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/blogger/V611KU-BUOQ

You need to go to settings then email. Remove your email address then put it back in and press save. They will then send you a confirmation email and you click subscribe!

Seriously, how would anyone know to do this? I hope it works for you, it worked for me.

Right away. You need to remove your current email - perhaps hit save? then add it back and hit save. Whatever I did it worked right away.

CLARIFICATION: So it's settings, email, then "comment notification email"

Chris H said...

Stew always has the house spotless and tidy when I get home if I've been away (a rare event)! I'm very lucky ... but on a normal day to day basis? Nope, he's messy as a two year old! MEN! But we love them ... right? *smiles*

RO said...

When the king cleans, he makes a huge deal of telling me what he did, how he did, and how long it took, then he wants me to get out my magnifying glass to check out all his hard work. (lol) When I clean, he notices nothing(lol) Really cool that you guys have been married for 31 years - very romantic and unheard of these days. Yay for no more hairballs in your world! Hugs and Happy Sunday to you! RO

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Chris H - thanks so much for this info. I just did it and we'll see how it works for me. THank you again!!

Ro - only been married 25 yrs this Dec. lived together for 3 and were just friends for 3 yrs prior to that. :-)