Hey, you know that post of mine called Patio Time where I shared this recipe for the Coconut Chocolate Cocktail?
Well, I bought the fudgesicles for this drink even though I read the ingredients first at the store.
There was no brand of fudgesicle that I could eat. All laden with gluten.
So I just bought the popsicle brand and was done with it.
I brought them home and made the drinks for Rick and a couple of neighbors. They LOVED them! I am certain I will be making them again.
My question is why the hell is malt barley in fudgesicles?
I have been searching ever since then to find a fudgesicle without gluten.
Malt is gluten, Barley is gluten put them together and boy would that be a fun treat for Peg.
I drank homemade lemonade with tequila so I was just fine.
In fact very fine because it was far less calories.
(stevia instead of sugar as well)
Rick suggested I just make my own fudgesicles.
Okay I'm so not going to do that.
I know I could do it, looks easy, but don't need them that much.
What I do need is a friend like Martha Stewart, 'cause she'd make them for me.
19 comments:
The only thing I found were recipes to make your own. But I also found this link. Interesting...
https://www.thedailymeal.com/healthy-eating/25-foods-you-didn-t-know-contained-gluten-slideshow
Mike I wish I found this interesting. It's my life so of course I know about these.
But some of them you can find in Gluten free form, like hot dogs and ice cream.
Tamari is better than soy sauce and it's GF.
Isn't it amazing I am not skinny? :-)
Interesting question. I'm guessing there is malt barley in fudgesicles for the same reason its in the malt you use to make malted milks...it thicken it up and makes it sweeter/richer tasting.
You and I are in the same boat, only my gut seems to have even more restrictions than yours but the end result is if I want something I have to make it myself. I find a lot of recipes on Against All Grains work for me and the site happens to have a recipe for fudgesicles you might like ... https://againstallgrain.com/2016/05/18/dairy-free-fudge-pops-recipe/
Jean, I make homemade pudding that is out of this world rich and chocolate. I use cornstarch. You don't need barley/malted barley. I read where they weren't always made of this. If you read the label there is absolutely nothing in there that is food. It is just chemicals. We eat so many chemicals it's crazy.
Boots - Thank you so much for this site. I eat like she is writing about. I do have dairy from time to time. But there is no way I can do it daily!! I try not to have grains either. Like I said earlier, it's amazing I am not skinny!
It is amazing the chemicals in our foods. I'm allergic to yellow dye #5 and at least that's a little easier to guess about than where you are finding gluten. But all this talk about homemade fudgesicles has me wanting to make some.
MSG is the thing that kills me. Ughhhhhh.
I think you should just eat a lot of chocolate. Isn't most of it GF?
And if you lived close by, I would not make ice cream for you, but I do have a recipe for GF peanut butter cookies that's easy and yummy (3 ingredients!!) and if it weren't 10 PM I'd make some right now!!!
Ami, I too have that recipe for 3 ingred. pb cookies. not a big fan of pb though. MOST choc is gf, but not all, like godiva is not. some candy bars aren't but its not like i need more of it. 😃
There is so much weird stuff in food these days. Even fresh vegetables deliver the fertilizers, weed killers, and insecticides used on them. I always thought the whole gluten free fad (By which I mean all those who don't actually have celiac disease) was more about processed foods. Now I have some reactions that are gluten-intolerance sounding. A slice of Wonder bread doubles me over. A slice of three ingredient, fresh baked bread from the European market brings me nothing but a smile. Eating has become a science experiment gone wrong for far too many.
Olga - I couldn't agree more with you on processed foods. Do you know the flour in Italy is like ours in the old days? I can eat that flour. It's sad that our food is all chemicals now and not food. Gluten Intolerance is horrible as well. It is all the same symptoms as Celiac.
I do not eat food in boxes that say GLUTEN FREE. Real food is automatically gluten free.
Processed Gluten Free is horrific with chemcials and sugars etc.
I wouldn't have guessed that there was gluten in fudgesicles. Who knew?
But hey, homemade lemonade with tequilla? - health food!
I know it's not the same but I'm not happy - just realized I can't eat corn on the cob! Oh my it was so good - sweet and buttery! But after having a week of stomach cramps - giving it up!
Abby because our food is no longer food but chemicals there is now gluten in everything. Did you know vodka in Ameria is no longer made with potatoes? Most are gluten with the exception of the American Made Tito's. It is made the old fashioned way and it's damn good to boot!
April - it's not the corn, it's the chemicals on the corn. But either way it just sucks 'cause corn is so good. I'm sorry for you.
One word: YUMMY
I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your input on my blog. You give me food for thought and a good reason to laugh and hope for something better.
Ah Linda, what a nice thing to say.
You need to live by me. We could cabitz in the afternoons with something tasty in a glass. :-)
((hugs))
Nope this was home grown corn!!
That is a good question. Why the gluten? I think if we knew what was in most of the food we eat, we might think twice.
Post a Comment