Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Random Thoughts for Tuesday

I read that Tom Hanks is going to play Mr. Rogers. I think I like that casting.
I was too old to watch him but I had a slew of younger sisters that did.
My sister Stephanie would sit there so quietly and watch him so intently.
I didn't get it. I was 15 when I first saw this show and it would put me to sleep. I was more of a Sesame Street gal at 15. I understood Sesame Streets appeal.
As an adult, I understand Mr. Rogers so much more. I also understand why my new mom loved it that Stephanie sat quietly and learned for a short period of time.   I just think Tom can do this man justice. Should be interesting.
___________________
Rick and I did not watch the Grammys. It is automatically recorded on Prime Time on Dish so we figured we may FF through to see what we liked. It wasn't much. We are not their demographic. We enjoyed the hell out of Pink. She stood and sang an emotional song and instead of flying through the air, we could see her face and the pain of the song. It was beautiful.

We enjoyed John Batiste and Gary Clark Jr.'s tribute to Fats Domino and Chuck Berry. I love Gary Clark Jr. He is a beautiful throwback.
The next thing that moved us was Keisha's powerful song. Knowing what that young girl has been through for the last 8 years or longer made it all the more moving.

We also enjoyed this clip. It doesn't show it here, but he started by saying that you may not know it but you don't always need to be a singer to win a Grammy. There are honors for best-spoken word album that have gone to the worlds most inspiring voices. Al Gore, Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama all won them. 

We know our current president does love winning awards, he may just be the subject at next years Grammys. But who will be his narrator? Then this clip was shown. 




4 comments:

Ami said...

I don't watch any of the award shows, also not part of that demographic.
I like some of the stuff that's coming out now music-wise, but I'm afraid that for the most part, I don't get it, don't like listening to any of it and wouldn't recognize the artists or the songs.

I remember back in the late 70s, living with my grandparents, I had Andrew Gold's All This and Heaven, Too. Listened to it quite a bit. One night my grandfather came upstairs and wanted to know why I'd listen to something so boring... 'Thank you for being a friend thank you for being a friend thank you for being a friend'. :-D

I still listen to Andrew's stuff, actually. Did you know he's no longer among the living? That made me sad.

Funny, came home yesterday and there was a doorhanger on my front door from Nielsen... you know, the TV rating people. I thought it was hysterically funny, since I almost never watch television. Netflix and movies on DVD... those I watch.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I only watched the last hour (?)---from the point where Bono sang at the Statute of Liberty. I like him and was thrilled that Bruno Mars walked away with so many awards. Otherwise I'm not the right demographic either and was happy to multi-task my way through it. I was amused at how much the Republicans were bitching about Hillary's little cameo. No sense of humor.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ami, send 'em to my house.

Jean - I thought the video was funny. But I get why they are riled. They are hated by the majority. I do like Bruno as well. because you are new here you don't know the story so putting it in comments on my last post wouldn't be right since I've talked about it. I can email you if you wish. If you care.

Julie H said...

I loved Mr. Rogers! Especially when they had field trips to see how things were made.