Wednesday, January 24, 2018

I am not Debby Downer

I saw this video on facebook.
My cousin's ex-wife who is only 5 years older than me has early onset dementia.

This disease is heartbreaking. Alzheimers/Dementia both are horrific. For those going through it as well as for their loved one.

I don't mean to be a total bummer this week really I don't. It seems like this week is nothing but Debby Downer blog posts. I will make it up to you :-)

I thought it was interesting to hear this from someone going through it.
I think as my friend Lorrie said one day on our walk, "I know I don't recall things and I know I repeat things even though I don't know when I am doing it. It is so frustrating to me as well. Please be patient with me."

How can one not be? I fear this so.

7 comments:

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Life has its ups and downs and we can't always be Mary Sunshine, so no need to apologize for being a Debby Downer from time to time. I'll tell you how much of a Debby Downer I am right now. I can't/couldn't even watch your video because the topic is too scary at my age. I watched it happen to my dad, mother-in-law and sister-in-law and worry that I could be next.

linda said...

Interesting video.
I have it in my family.

Linda

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Me too ladies. My father, 3 of his sisters. I just fear this something terrible.

Mike said...

She seems to be handling it well. She's still posting to her blog everyday.

Linda d said...

It is a very scary thing but, for me, mostly because of the trauma that it inflicts on the loved ones.

I love her attitude.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike and Linda - I like her attitude too and she is handling it well right now. But as I have seen with my father things change and quickly and then they aren't the same people. I hope this doesn't happen to her.

Barbara said...

Beautiful and sad. I haven't had to deal with either of these illnesses but as my diabetes continues to rock high and low I have a definite change in my mental capacity. My daughter and I were talking about it this weekend. I hope that it doesn't get any worse than it is. Forgetting my friends and family would be just terrible. We deal with what we must and live the best life we can as we age or deal with disease.