Monday, January 22, 2018

You're Fired.

We had to fire Gary about two weeks ago.
My goodness, this man changed after this baby.
I've seen this happen with women but never men.
So here's to equality. 

As I have told you all before he had a kid and nothing was ever the same.
He was late, he had to leave to get the baby, he was sick from the baby, the baby was sick and he couldn't come to work, the baby is sick and daycare needs him to be picked up. There were so many issues.

He went from being a good employee to a very bad employee. 
He did good work but we started to see the changes in that too over the last 2 months.

Fast forward to the holidays -
We are slow from Christmas through the 1st week of January.
Gary wanted to go home to Michigan to see his dad.
His dad has late-stage lung cancer and he wanted to bring his son and spend some time.
He asked if he could be gone those 2 weeks. We said sure no problem.

In the meantime, we went to his home and picked up our work vehicle parked at his home. When Rick saw the inside he went batshit crazy. There were car parts all over it like he has been using our vehicle for a side job. Mufflers and all kinds of greasy things. The truck was a mess. The dash has a built-in Sirius radio, GPS etc. It was broken. $3900 people. We've only had this vehicle for 2 years.

Rick took apart his spray gun - ruined, he left paint in the can and he hadn't cleaned it and it was literally ruined. Rick spent days trying to fix it. He did this to 2 guns. They are to be cleaned after each job. 5 minutes time and he didn't. 
Each gun is $425 a piece. Rick was so angry it was scary.

Gary left on the 16th of December. He was to be back to work on the 2nd.
He called and asked if he could stay until the 6th. His father dropped a bomb shell on him and his sisters and they had to do some things with the attorney etc.
I said sure. Text or call me when you get back into VA.

I rearranged the schedule to accommodate only Rick being able to work.
So I have now inconvenienced customers for this to work.
Then on the 7th, I text him because he told me he'd be in town on the weekend and would let us know he was home.
I asked, "Are you ready for tomorrow"  
He texts me back, "No I need another day or so."
WHAT? It's been 4 damn weeks. What is the issue. I asked, "do you no longer wish to work?"  Oh no, he loves his job, I'm sorry but .......

I said, "If you can't make it to work again with no excuse you are going to be let go." So he was.

He came here crying the blues. Literally crying. His life is a cluster fuck and I can no longer feel sorry for him. I told him before if his personal life interfered with work again we were going to have to address this. He signed off on this after our meeting. But he did it again.

He is 40 something and if he can't pick himself up after all we've done for him he will never get it together.  He has been whining about the same things for 3 years. Enough. I don't care that you are the primary caregiver in your home, we've made it work for you by allowing you to take the company vehicle home to make things easier. I could go on and on with that list but I won't bore you. We have been more than understanding with him. We had this discussion with him before and made him sign off that he understood if he pulled this again he would lose his job. So this couldn't be a shock to him.

We have been looking for a new person for a month prior to letting him go because we needed an additional person and we are struggling with finding someone who can speak English. So frustrating. Wanted a veteran but it isn't easy finding them either. You'd think that would be a piece of cake, wouldn't you? You either have to pay a fortune for them or you go to a job bank which is limited at best.

Anyway, he did $3900 damage to the car, $850 in damage to equipment and I have given him money for daycare 3 x. He asked for an advance and I never took it from him so I paid daycare for him 3 x at $600. He only made 60K this year with full benefits. I know that is not a lot but if he came to work more he'd sure make more. He did make more before his baby arrived, lots more.

Today he was to drop off the key to the car and an exhaust fan at 2:30p. He text and said he would be late. Yep, it's 5pm and he's still not here. Wanna bet he never shows up?

6 comments:

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Wow, that's quite a story! It's always hard to let someone go, even when you have great reasons for your actions. everyone loses.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

P.S. Where the heck was his wife in all this?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, no wife, just bsby mama I thought you all knew this. I wrote about her. I will write and fill you in. He just text me to say he was leaving. It's 8:00pm. I said no, I will leave the office to fetch it all myself.

BootsandBraids said...

The more you do for some people, the more they want and expect. No good deed.

Ami said...

I hope he goes quietly and doesn't bug you. We've been harassed more than once by someone that had to be let go... and we don't even own the damn company!!!

From the sound of it, you gave him a LOT of chances. He blew it.

Julie H said...

Awww that's too bad.