Monday, February 23, 2015

Turn Up The Heat Please.

We had 8-10 inches of snow and very cold temps Saturday and then Sunday it got warm, well warm in comparison to almost 50. Then another frigid front comes through.  YIPEE.

I made popcorn and we watched the beginning of the Oscars last night.
It was so damn boring we couldn't take it. I knew it was on our prime time DVR so I thought I'd catch it later. I could fast forward through what I didn't want to deal with and stop when I wanted.
At 2 am I was once again unable to sleep so I went through the show using my FF button.
It was still very boring. I was disappointed in Neil Patrick Harris.  It didn't work.
But I do love the fashion and the shallow shit.

We watched a couple of movies the last two weeks. We don't go to the theater much anymore.
The last time was when we had to listen to a drill on if we hear a loud noise to duck, find your nearest exit, save yourself first and all that fun gun stuff. So we normally will just stay home and watch them on TV now. No guns in our home so we've got that going for us.
Besides my homemade popcorn is far better than the stuff you get at the theater.

We watched The Judge with Robert Duval and Robt Downey Jr.   Excellent movie.
Then Sunday we watched St. Vincent with Bill Murray.
Why Bill Murray didn't get a nomination is beyond me. He was so good!
Little things, nuances. Just damn good. Rick and I both truly loved that movie.
Nothing blew up in either of them other than tempers. Nobody got shot, raped or tortured.
No terrorists, gov't or comic book characters. Just a story about people. You'd think it was the 40's or something.

I don't think I'd want to go back to the "olden days" for a lot of things, but movies would be one where I would. I hate today's movies most of the time. I prefer black and white oldies.
In today's world, Rear Window, by Alfred Hitchcock would be considered a chick flick because there is dialog, it's about people, relationships of all kinds and nothing blows up.
No CGI and dinosaurs. I love old movies and the two we just watched had those elements of just good stories.

Speaking of olden days. Today there was a 2 hr delay in the start of school. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why. Roads are clear, it's not snowing, it's just a day in winter. I asked my neighbor with kids why there was a delay. She said, "well the kids shouldn't have to stand at the school bus when it's that cold."  

At 9:45a when Izzy and I went for our mid-morning walk we walked by the school bus stop.
Izzy loves to see all the kids and once they yell, "Izzy!"  well, that gets her tail waggin' and we must go over to them for her to get lovin' from all the kids.

There were 2 boys with shorts on and hoodies. No coats, no hats, no gloves just a t-shirt, hoody, and sneakers. Not even boots. To be honest with you, not one kid had a hat, gloves, scarves etc. The girls had on coats and some boats. But I think if they can dress like that at the bus stop why the hell can't they get on the heated bus and get their asses into their heated school on time?  He was wearing shorts and there is a delay because of the poor spoiled brats not being able to stand at the bus stop in the 30-degree weather?  This will be the wanker in his corporate job who is always late because he always could be. Just wait and see.

Did you see any good movies this weekend where nothing blew up?

9 comments:

Jayne Martin said...

I agree with you about the Oscars. Normally, Neil is great at these hostings, but last night he bombed time after time. I saw "Theory of Everything," and it was amazing and very moving. Reymayne deserved the win. And "Imitation Game" was another smart, wonderful film. Now pass the popcorn. :)

Ms. A said...

Stopped watching the Oscars years ago. I prefer to make my own decisions on movies and the actors in them. Plus, I'm not into fashion, so that's not something I care to watch either.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ms. A , wow!

Mike said...

"..to listen to a drill.."

What?! Are you kidding? Are we getting a little paranoid or what?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike, I'm not kidding you. The first time was an AMC theater in Columbus Ohio over Easter. I wrote about it then. It made us so uncomfortable that Rick vowed that was it - no more theaters. But I convinced him to go again and it happened again so he said, "I don't see the need when they are on PPV for less money and at the same time as the theater. I prefer just being at home and having a cocktail in my pj's"
I myself, prefer the theater but I get where he is coming from. So yep, paranoid. You know how the USA works - everything is fear based.

LL Cool Joe said...

Yes I watched PRIDE a film set in the UK in the 80's. Brilliant film!

Julie H said...

My husband isn't into those shows so if I want to watch them I have to go into the kids rooms. I just like to see the clothes and how crazy people dress sometimes so I just look online lol. I did watch a clip of Lady Gaga singing like a normal person though.

Julie H said...

Oh and I was going to comment on the kids lol. Last year it was super cold (for us, meaning in the 20's) and my son didn't have a jacket so I took him to the store and we got one that he picked out and 2 hoodies. I think he wore the jacket one time and just wears hoodies every day. But at least he doesn't wear shorts until it warms up a bit lol.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, Lady Gaga has a great voice, why she chooses to hide behind her stupid costumes like a meat dress is beyond me.