Where you been you ask?
Why thank you for noticing.
I have been like humpty dumpty and I am trying to "get back together again"
I mentioned that I hurt my shoulder when I was going to the gym.
I really thought it was tendinitis so I kept popping Advil or ibuprofen and worked through the pain.
My trainer always told me to ice it afterwards. Silly me listened and felt I was okay.
Then it wasn't okay anymore. The pain was off the charts and it was waking me up.
I continued to just work through it, we had a wedding and I had things to do. But I stopped going to the gym to focus work on my arm. After each visit to the gym I was in so much pain a few hours later that I knew I was hurting myself. So with the roll of the trainers eyes I quit.
I went to the see my cute Doogie Howser Doctor and he sent me to physical therapy first.
I was convinced this would never ever work. I met my pain masters Dave and Chris and they worked me to the pain and made me cry. OH MY GOD how they made me cry. These last few weeks have been excruciatingly painful. I have had several back surgeries that have nothing on this shoulder pain.
I go to PT 3 times a week. I come home and can barely move my arm at all and I put on ice and take an Advil or a glass of wine or both. It was so bad the 2nd day of PT I just had a melt down. I felt this was only getting worse and I can't lift my arm and I can't sleep and I can't get comfortable sitting or typing or pretty much anything at all. Sharp pain, burning pain, pain, pain, pain. On a 1-10 scale after PT I was a 15.
I told Rick if I were a horse they'd put me down and the thought of that right then was appealing. Looking back I think that was the lack of sleep talking.
I never slept more than 30 minutes at a time.
Chris and Dave, the PT pain masters, asked me one day what I was doing at the gym when this all started. When I showed them they went bat shit crazy. How the form of what I was doing was causing this, how this was doing that and one and on they went. Plethora of shit they were throwing at me. All the while screaming. Boy they were upset.
Did this person have a real legit license they asked?
"I don't know", I replied feeling like an idiot.
I began to feel better - each session with either Chris or Dave didn't make me cry but actually began to feel pretty good. I was still unable to sleep for long but getting better.
Then last week I got up from the pain and walked around the house. I poured myself some ice water, cut myself a lemon and took a couple of Advil. I tried to get comfy on the sofa.
It wasn't working.
So my ice water and I went up to the 3rd floor where the comfy theater seats are.
Those seats support and cushion my shoulder and I felt pretty good.
I watched a few hours of TV and fell asleep. When I woke up I knew I had done something to my back. I could barely stand and had shooting pain down my hip and mid way up my back on the right side. I could not stand up straight, I was now leaning.
Great now what?
I got down to the 2nd floor and went into my bedroom and attempted to shower and get dressed for my day. It was Friday and I knew it would be a light day and I was thankful. Sitting was excruciating. But as I drank my morning coffee I said to Rick, "Well I am not thinking about my shoulder pain."
We had a good laugh.
Rick told me I was shuffling like the old woman on Laugh In - which I am sure most of you are too young to even know that reference. He was right I was and that made me laugh.
I endured this over the weekend and kept thinking, I'll be fine. No I was not fine. I went to PT but had to leave I couldn't sit and do some of the things required.
I came home and called my chiropractor.
He got me in yesterday. He explained my mess, I had heat, a tens unit, massage and then he does the ole bending and cracking until I thought I was going to vomit.
But I can stand and I have no pain. He asked about my shoulder.
So I told him the pain I was in. He asked when it started so I told him at the gym.
He asked what kind of things was I doing when it hurt. I told him. He asked me the same thing the PT's did - "can you show me?" I did.
He made me stop. He said, "For heaven's sake were there no trainers there to see you do this incorrectly?" I said I was working with a trainer. He shook his head and proceeded to show me what to do correctly and what I was doing wrong and why it was twisting me up like it was. Basically in layman's terms I am a big mess of twisted tendons/ligaments and impediments. I wish I was smart enough to explain. Both of these guys showed me by drawings or by the skeletal things hanging in the office of what was wrong.
All I know is that my should is 50% better and my back is 100% better. Sore but better.
So they may know of what they speak.
In the mean time we are dealing with Rick's knees. Do you know if you don't meet your deductible you have to pay $1200 for the MRI. That is the discount rate. Great.
We are falling apart rapidly at our house. We are going broke while doing it.
Yep we've had a fun summer aren't you envious?
I just keep repeating, vacation is just a few weeks away.
I am counting down the days and as of today I have 16 more days to get through not counting this one.
Water, mountains, fresh air, sunshine and no phones. 16 more days....16 more days....16 more days.....
I go back to PT Friday and my chiropractor tomorrow for a follow up.
I will be fine after that I am sure.
Sitting in that chair and sliding down as I did caused the problem so I won't be falling asleep in the chair without support on my lower back. But now that I am 50% better in my shoulder I don't feel the need to do that anyway. I imagine as I continue with these exercises at home I will be able to sleep for the night.
So not only did I pay to go to the gym. I have now paid for physical therapy, 4 dr. visits and have been in pain. Wow. I'd call me a dumb ass.
11 comments:
Cheap lower back support? Rolled up towels. Go buy about 5 or 6 of them and put them everywhere. They are infinitely adjustable.
Hope you feel better soon!
Tell me about that deductable! I met mine, went to buy hubby a new mask for his CPAC machine (what he uses at night for his sleep apnea)and they told me I had to pay for all of it even though I met my deductible. Turns out the place I bought it was no longer 'in my network' of providers so I now have to meet my 'out of network' deductible. Wish I had known they weren't in my network BEFORE I bought it >:/
Mike- last nite rick rolled up some towels we had in a bin when we sold the lake house. Apparently you and rick are on the same page. Great minds think alike:-)
Nope can't take it back because it's not 'resalable' after it left the store. Doesn't matter if you use it or not.......
Bonnie- would have been nice of them to tell you they must have known.
Sorry...that really sucks.
I want to know what exercise you were doing so I can make sure and not do it! Sounds bad, very bad!
I'm so sorry about your shoulder. As someone who's had 2 surgeries I know how painful it can be and so limiting and annoying. I hope that you will be painless soon!
Julie - it wasn't so much what I was doing but the position I was doing them in with the weights. It was all my arm/weight work. Great huh?
I think she was a trainer because she was blonde and cute in spandex. They all said a trainer would have known this.
Carolyn - thank you. I'm almost there!
You're not a dumb ass AT ALL. And I really want you to get the doctors to write something saying you were doing the exercises incorrectly. Then the gym may at least comp you those months or the equivalent going forward (especially if the person really ISN'T licensed).
I am really glad you're feeling better.
Arnebya, my husband and you are on the same page. He doesn't feel that looking good in spandex is a qualification for being a trainer. In her defense she may very well be a licensed trainer I don't know. But she isn't good. I'll keep you posted.
Fun times!! ;-) I think it is a lot safer to stay home than go to the gym. So far I had that eye hemorrhage from the Pilates class then my neck seized up - worst headache ever - from Tabata. Once you are better I recommend avoiding the gym. I have started back but not quite as frequently as I had been going...
Post a Comment