Friday, August 16, 2013

Post by the hearing impaired

As Rick was leaving this morning we had a "conversation" that went like this.

ME: "I hope that guy doesn’t call back today."

"Who’s Amir?"

"A mirror? What are you talking about?"

"You just said Amir was calling today."

"No I didn’t"

Laughter ensues.

"I didn’t hear that correctly did I?" he asks sheepishly.

"Nope. You did not."

Rick does the sign language for Asshole and points to me.

"ME?"

I can’t stop laughing as he is walking out the door.

I yell to him, "Good thing we took sign language classes looks like we now need them"

Yep, this is what my life has become. Thank God we have a sense of humor.

17 comments:

Mike said...

You're going to have to start recording and posting some of these conversations.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Why Mike I just did.

flask said...

i took an internet hearing test this morning.

apparently i have the hearing of an old person.

it;s sort of an occupational hazard, though. you put yourself day to day in a room with 25 middle school students and hand everybody a pair of drumsticks or a trombone or something and you see if maybe yo don;t start to go deaf well before you're fifty.

"i got a new hearing aid."
"what kind is it?"
"about a quarter to ten."

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

flask - at least you have an excuse. I have none.
...and good one!

LL Cool Joe said...

Tell me about it, I'm a dj, my ears are ringing most of the time and "pardon" is my new favourite word. :D

Ms. A said...

Hearing, vision, general falling apart. I should have planned better when I was younger, but I never gave it a second thought. At least you've got the humor and that's gotta help! I don't even have that. Crap!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Joe, don't you wear any type of ear plugs silly?

Cora - c'mon you must see the humor in it don't you? I have to or I'll cry. :-)

mamahasspoken said...

Peg, thanks to technology there are wonderful hearing aids out there for BOTH of you ;o)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bonnie... smart ass.
Too funny. Rick insists i mumble. I, on the other hand know i cant hear. After my shoulder stuff is complete and the surgery on my lip and new glasses THEN i can go buy hearing aids. Insurance won't cover much i checked.

a.k.a. Quintina said...

Oh how timely this is. The day you wrote this I was at my second visit for my hearing loss. I was told I could choose between surgery or a hearing aid. I don't know,Peg, it seems to me the loss can be an advantage. I can't hear my eigth graders which makes me more tolerant. I can sut out the drone of a crazed playing seven year old, which makes me more tolerant. I don't hear half of what my husband says, which once again, makes me more tolerant. And If I do hear, I can pretend I didn't, and he will think it is my hearing, which makes me tolerant. Hmmm. I think I will go for the hearing aid. The surgery is permanent but I can remove the hearing aid when I don't want to be bothered. Which makes all things in the world more tolerable and makes me a happy person.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Tina first off, I'm sorry.
2nd where did you get your hearing tested?

Julie H said...

::Goes and signs up for sign language classes::

I can't hear shit if there is a background noise now. I'm sure that's just the beginning.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie that is exactly how it began for me. I noticed that at a bar or place with a lot of background noise i had trouble hearing others talking to me. Now i gave a difficult time with some tv shows. Greys anatomy is one. They play music over someone talking and that is difficult for me. Oh well.

Unknown said...

a sense of humor is key to a good life... fo sho!

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

My daughter is a sign language interpreter so I just learned your sign. Hysterical. Now I know what to call (and how to call) my husband when it's merited.

LL Cool Joe said...

I did try, but so many people come up and ask me for requests and of course I can't hear them.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Joe - Ah, gotcha.