Wednesday, March 27, 2013

New Meaning for Going Postal.

Yesterday I had to drop off some packages for work at my local post office branch.
While I do have a stamps.com account here in the office so that I can print my own labels for shipping I still needed some assistance from my good ole post office.

There is a man there at my local post office that I just love.
He is a very tall & big strapping man.
He has to be over 6'5". 
He's built like a big ole footballer and ya'll know how I love me some big men! 
He is always so cheery and pleasant.  While in line I am always hoping I get him.
English is his first language and since I am unable to understand those with accents easily I pray I always get him.  I always feel when I ask if they can repeat it that I am making them uncomfortable when in fact this is my issue not theirs. Then I feel badly

This man is the only man at the counter and he towers over all the tiny Asian American women he works with. It is only these small women and this big black man with the perpetual smile. He teases them as well as those of us in line. I just love this guy!!

Out of all the times I have gone to the post office I have only gotten him once before. Yesterday was my lucky day. I had a complicated issue so I was glad to have gotten him.
He was helping me, helping the woman next to him and calling for backup all at the same time.  I told him he was a force of nature and a fun person to watch.  He just laughed.
He helped me and then went to the window next to him to explain to the customer what the women he works with was trying to say. (I get her a lot and her English is very difficult to understand but she is so very nice....or at least I think she is)

After that he came back to me, he apologized and gave me a smiley face sticker for being so patient. That cracked me up.  I thanked him for everything he did and said have a nice day and walked away.
I got almost to the door when I heard his big bellowing voice say, "Lady with these great sunglasses and short hair please come back here, I miss you!"
Everyone laughed that was standing on line.
I turned around and he was waving my "great sunglasses" in the air because I had left them on the counter.
I went back to get my glasses and as I approached his window he put them on and said to everyone in line, "should I keep them, do they look good?" 

Of course everyone wanted him to keep my new sunglasses. (aviator and they did look good on him damn it!)  He gave them back to me and I thanked him and told him it was always a pleasure to work with him. He winked as I said to him  "I know that is what all the girls say don't they?"  He had a good laugh as well as the women working on either side of him. They were teasing him now too.

I got in my car and thought about what a great experience that was at the post office.
One never gets good customer service or sees it anymore so this was truly a pleasure!
This was a great "going postal" experience. Now I just have to get this big man's name.
I plan to call this branch and just tell them how pleasant it is to go into that post office every week. This man deserves to be praised. 
No one likes to stand in line, no one enjoys going to the post office but he makes it a joy.
We all need to work like that.

10 comments:

Carolyn said...

I love hearing stories like this. Great customer service is so hard to come by lately and stories like these warm my heart. I just don't understand how some people don't realize that you get so much furhter going that extra mile for people than when you don't!

Arnebya said...

I just love that you want to tell about it. He deserves it, clearly. It's hard on the customers but it's also hard on the employees to always be chipper when sometimes it's the customers who are the problem. Still, being service oriented in a service oriented job is a good skill to have. I'd be the one with the attitude yelling NEEEEEEEEEEXT.

Mike said...

'English is his first language..'

Must be the DC area. Or the coasts in general. I just don't run into that here. Even with our Bosnian population everyone speaks very understandable English.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I think it may be endemic to this area. No one is from here. And I don't mean they are from Oregon or Idaho. while I mean that I also mean from all over the world to our nations capital to live the american dream.

I have 6 Town homes in my block. 2 homes are born here in the US of A.
Makes it a great place to live but someone with my handicap of not understanding accents all that well it can be difficult.

Julie H said...

Love it! I always try to praise great workers too. They deserve it!

Bilbo said...

I need to try to have that fellow transferred to the post office at the Pentagon, which consistently strives to achieve new heights of slow and surly customer service. Our local PO in Springfield is better, but everyone who works there speaks English as a second (or even third) language, and many of them are nearly impossible to understand. Sigh.

mamahasspoken said...

Hehehe, English is his first language....But as I read his lines, in my mind I gave him a Jamaican accent.....weird I know.....

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bill I am glad to know I am not the only one who has difficulties understanding the accents. Boy do I struggle.


Bonnie - that is funny that you gave him a Jamaican accent. Nope he sounds exactly like me only a deeper voice. :-)

Ms. A said...

Having just been through the whole "extended hospital stay" with my son, I can honestly say there were a number of people that were an absolute pleasure to be around... considering what we were there for.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Cora I am glad to hear the staff was so great at a time like that.
Love to hear this. :-)