Thursday, March 28, 2013

Bomb Girls

As I have mentioned here on these very pages before I like television and I won't apologize.
I know it's politically incorrect to say that.

Right now is the time of year when all my TV shows come back. 
The Big C with Laura Linney and Oliver Platt is such a great show.
Sadly this upcoming short season is the last.
The show was The Big C for cancer so you know it had to end and possibly with her dying. 
I just so enjoy the characters and the stories.
And c'mon the acting of not only the 2 big name stars but the supporting cast is superb.

Which brings me to the next one Nurse Jackie.(Edie Falco) EXCELLENT. 
All of the above comment can be inserted here and  add some twisted humor.
Both of these are on Showtime so I realize not everyone can see them however if you have Netflix, these are worth renting season 1 and get yourself started on good TV. 
Mini-movies really.

Last year during one of my insomnia evenings I was flipping through channels and came across Bomb Girls.
I so enjoyed this episode I did a search on my TV to find episode 1. (this was 2 I was watching) Then I set my DVR for the whole series.  I was hooked.
When it ended after 6 episodes I went online to see why.
Apparently it was to be just a 6 week mini series but it was so overwhelmingly popular they gave it another full season. It started last night. 

This show is set in the 1940's during WWII. 
The story lines are terrific and there is a lot going on in these women's lives.
It protrays how women had to go to work while the boys were at war.
It is a great look at history, the clothes, the ideas, the life and the horrific prejudice and sexist thinking. Watching the women become empowered with their own paychecks and a bit of freedom from the kitchen is an interesting look back into our history. It's hard to take that away once you've had a piece of it. and God knows the men try.
The men who came home or didn't go to war for whatever reason and the issues they dealt with back on the homefront is also an interesting look into things you didn't hear in history class.
The people of color, the people who hide their sexual identities and all the fear of being different. Last night while watching this episode a few times I thought, wow we've come so far, and other times sadly we haven't done that well in that area at all.

The characters of this show are really flushed out. They are not on dimensional.
Meg Tilly places a lead role in this show. There are times I just really dislike her and think how could someone be so cold? Then she turns around and makes you see why she does what she does and sometimes you feel so badly for her. Like her character, all of the characters are flawed, just like in life, and you get to see all facets of them. They are not cartoons of a character as in network tv. they are not politically correct.

I highly recommend this show. I don't get paid to tell you this. This is just my humble opinion.  No it's not on network TV. I don't even know if this is available to everyone on their cable or satellite networks. This channel is called Reelz Channel. If you get this look it up.
It's a damn good drama.

Here is a link to watch the first 6 episodes (or all of season 1) if you would like.
It is a Canadian based program so that will explain the link to global TV.
http://www.globaltv.com/bombgirls/index.html


Now grab the popcorn and Enjoy!

7 comments:

mamahasspoken said...

I.LOVE.TV!!!!!!!
I watch it every day and I'm not sorry about it either. Though I will admit, that I will DVR many of my favorite shows and wait several weeks before I watch them. Why? I hate those damn cliff hangers that make you want to watch it the next week. Sit me down, one evening and I have my own marathon of my favorite shows.
Yes, it's the best way to watch them :o)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bonnie - then check out this show you'll love it. Promise.
i like to watch them all at once too. Sometimes Rick will ask me if it's recording if I want to switch over and watch it and I say no. Besides watching it like that i can skip commercials. :-)

Mike said...

Those first two shows aren't available on Netflix streaming.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike - I looked into this after you wrote your comment. i was surprised because they are both such highly acclaimed series. But I see where Showtime has recently stopped Netflix from streaming any of their programs. I saw a site that said they had all of the Big C, but I didn't go any further to persue it.

Arnebya said...

I want to get back into tv, but...eh. I don't have one show that I watch regularly, don't even turn the tv on when I'm alone. But. Last weekend, the girls were away and my husband took the boy with him to the grocery store (I told him to go to the one way way waaaaaay down the road). And then I turned on the TV. Sure, I got stuck on Star Trek and HGTV but damn did it feel good.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Arnebya - HGTV is crack for me. Then I look around my home and think Damn can't they come here and do that?

Star Trek, I have not watched an episode since 1974. :-)

Carolyn said...

sounds like something I would love!! i gotta try to find it! Thanks! I love love downton abbey and hate that it's only 6 episodes per season and now I have to wait another year for it!