Sunday, March 24, 2013

My Awful Weekend

We had big plans, lots of plans and things that had to be done.
BUT.....life happens.

Rick wasn't feeling too well Saturday morning and I suggested he take it easy and we'd leave a few hours later.  He took some Aleve and poured another glass of juice and laid back in his chair. 

During this time I ran out to get gas, a lottery ticket and to exchange a cable at Staples. Exciting things you know?   As I was getting my lottery ticket I saw a USAToday sports special edition all about the New York Yankees. I grabbed it and got in line to pay for a few of my items.  The line was long and I was looking through the Yankee paper while I waited. The man behind me apparently saw what I was reading. As I closed the paper he said to me, "Do you like him (referring to Derek Jeter on the cover) because he's so cute?"

OMG really?
Would he ask a guy holding a sports illustrated with the QB Tom Brady on the cover if he liked him because he was so cute? 
I can hear the collective NO he would not. 
I bit my tongue and tried to keep my head from exploding.
All I said was, "No but apparently you think he's really cute don't you?" 
I smiled and let it go. (ok not really cuz I'm writing about it and it still pisses me off)
The idiot laughed so hard at that he began to cough.
I so wanted to say what I was thinking and not be funny or polite but better I didn't.

By the time I got home Rick was feeling bad and looking green.
Izzy was very loopy from her pain medication and I could see that this was not going to be a good day for any of us.  We rearranged the things that had to be done and I told Rick to just take it easy. He didn't fight me on this so I knew he was feeling badly.

I called the vet and told them Izzy's strange behavior and they told me to stop giving her the medication. She also has not had any water since the day before her surgery. She wasn't to drink water after midnight. That was on Thursday. The surgery was Friday and here it was Saturday and her bowl had the same amount of water. So not only was she loopy from the meds they wanted me to give her she wasn't drinking water. They stated that they gave her a great deal of fluids via IV so she was plenty hydrated. It sounded odd to me that the IV fluids would last this long but I am not the vet so what do I know?

Since we were home and not expecting to be in for the evening I asked Rick if he wanted to watch a movie. Izzy was calming down and almost normal again, just not drinking any water. Rick was still feeling awful but he was in his pj's and comfy on the sofa. Three quarters of the way through the movie Rick really began to get stomach cramps. By the end of the movie he was running to the bathroom constantly. Then it began.....
The projective vomiting and well you know, the other end.
Everyone was up all night. Rick gets up to run to the bathroom and that wakes Izzy and then  I hear the retching and I wake up. Oh it was fun.

Sunday morning Rick was looking worse than I have ever seen him in 26 years.
I suggested we go to Urgent Care. No matter what I gave him, Tylenol, Imodium, he couldn't keep it down. A sip of water would make him throw up.  At 10am I was so hungry and since he was okay for a moment and Izzy finally fell asleep I thought I'd be able to make myself some breakfast.  I fried myself one egg and 2 slices of bacon. He yelled that the smell of the bacon was making him sick to please stop it.  Oh my! Those are words I never thought I'd hear. Bacon is one of his favorite things in life.  So I took the bacon out of the pan and sprayed febreez in the air.  I only ate an egg because apparently that wasn't an offensive smell.

By noon he was still throwing up a lot and having the other issue as well. I would have assumed there was nothing left in him to come out of either end. I asked if he wanted to go to urgent care again and he said NO emphatically.  I took Izzy out for a walk and when we got back home Rick stood up and said, "We need to go to the ER/Urgent Care." I asked, Would you like me to go upstairs and get you a change of clothes?"
 He said, "no I'm going like this."

I knew right then he was really sick.  One, because he never goes to the Dr. or urgent care.
Second because he would normally never go out dressed like he was.
He had on a shirt with stains, fleece pants with holes and stains and he was unshaven and he had bed head. 
I didn't care what he looked like I just wanted him to have a doctor see him.  
I got him in the car and off we went. We were there for 3 hrs. They said he has the flu/stomach virus going around right now. They made him pee in a cup and they said he was very dehydrated so like Izzy he received fluids via IV.  They gave him a pill to stop the nausea but since he vomited 3 times while there they decided to give him a shot since the pill was obviously not working.  They said the shot in his ass would make him not only get rid of nausea but he would also get very sleepy very quickly.
Wow, they weren't kidding. He made a noise and I asked if he was okay and he said, "Aah,the nausea just left me" and then he was out like a light.  Just like a light had been turned off, that quickly.  The IV still in his arm but he was out cold. I may want one of those suckers on the nights I can't sleep.

The doctor gave me follow up instructions and called in a prescription for Rick once they took the IV from his arm.
I woke Rick and got him into the car. I dropped him off at home and then went off to get his Rx.  I got home to find Izzy needing to go out and she still is not drinking any water. She is peeing but don't you think it's odd to not take a drop of water since Thursday?  I'll call the vet in the morning for her next.

Right now at 7:30p they are both sleeping and I hope it lasts awhile.
I am actually getting to sit still for a moment and it feels great.
I imagine this will be short lived but it's nice and I appreciate it while I have it.
None of us got much sleep last night but at least I wasn't vomiting.
I hope the sleep alone will do wonders for Rick.

I spent an hour calling the customers Rick was to do work for tomorrow and rearranged his schedule. Everyone was so nice. Because we are expecting a lot of snow they said he may not have made it anyway so no big deal.  I was so thrilled that everyone was so nice and accommodating. That isn't usually the case. It was truly a blessing.

Now if I can keep from getting this crud Rick has it will be amazing.

7 comments:

Bilbo said...

Stay healthy ... Rick and Izzy are counting on you!

Mike said...

No way! A guy who hangs out all day in other peoples bathrooms got sick? Say it ain't so.

I hope Izzy gets better soon. Oh and Rick too.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bill - I'm trying.

Mike - that is what I say every day. We call it his silkwood shower that he takes each day he comes home after work

Ms. A said...

Goodness gracious, hope he's well soon... and you don't get it!

mamahasspoken said...

I was thinking what everyone else said. We've had several different 'bugs' in my house this past winter which is totally odd. Thank goodness what one brings in, doesn't spread to everyone else (well mainly me) but I can say my bathrooms are as clean as they have ever been.
I think Izzy will be ok mainly because she's not throwing up. But is she eating? I'm thinking it probably hurts to drink thanks to the 'new' space in her mouth.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

flask - that made me laugh out loud. It is indeed a lot of suck.

Cora - I told him I was going to wear a mask as I was helping him dress today. He is so funny because after his shower he got on the scale. weirdo. He lost 9lbs. Helluva way to diet I told him. He's no longer green but still very very sick.

Bonnie - Izzy ate a lot of snow this morning and i figure that is like water. She was happy to see all this damn spring snow. (I wish I were.) Iz is eating and I swear that nothing could stop her from eating. But she is eating soft food not her normal food. So that could be the issue. I tried giving her a small piece of ice from my drink yesterday and I got her to lick that.

Julie H said...

Oh that's horrible!! I hope he's feeling better and you didn't catch it.